December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. cykill45

"Further cancer treatments would be unproductive". That means they have used all the chemo drugs. Surgey, chemo and radiation are about the only cancer treatment allowed in this country. There are hundreds of cancer treatments out there. but when you get pharma companies making big mula nothing is going to change. chemo is 600 billion dollar a year business. all other treatments are suppressed. by who you ask? pharma companies of course, and FDA,american cancer institute(yeah i said it) every time a doctor or researcher figures out an effective treatment they are demanized and attacked by the FDA for using an unproven non-fda aproved treatment. of course the FDA is never going to approve any treatment that will cut into pharm's profits. some of these doctors leave the country and open clinics in other countries, like mexico(there like 40 cancer treatment centers along the southern border)...I could go on for hours. i started researching when we found out my wife has breast cancer. Alternative medicine is not a bunch of crackpots, that's what the industry wantys you to believe. sorry for ranting

December 6, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  2. Nancy, CA

God Bless You and Be With You, Elizabeth!!!

December 6, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  3. faithful

I feel very saddened by this news. I cried a lot.... This is my first time of crying for somebody with cancer I personally don't know. I have one friend who is in the similar situation as Elizabeth's. I am simply heartbreaking. I pray God will give Elizabeth peace and comfort forever. I admire her bravery of allowing John around her, which is not what human beings can do. I don't care whether Elizabeth forgave John or not; however, I pray God keeps her peaceful with no fear nor anger. I am sure God guides her forever; the Kingdom of God is hers. Gld bless you, Elizabeth!

December 6, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. zago

May God Bless You Lisa

December 6, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  5. Karen

This is indeed very sad...Elizabeth has been an inspiration to me for many years. She is a great lady of poise and grace and such strength, and I pray that her last weeks are fiiled with peace, love, and serenity. Thank you Elizabeth. God be with you.

December 6, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  6. tadios negash mamo

wow! elizsbeth u have done so much,for your family&country u now what keep one thing in your mind your blessed,with clean heart u blivedgod he alwayes with you.god is great

December 6, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  7. seaghda

I would like to point out that although John Edwards made choices that ultimately led to the dissolution of his marriage, the article does state that he and his children are at her side. I hardly think that suggests he has bailed on her. I think it simply means their marriage failed (albeit by his own hand). That being said, what a beautiful lady and a courageous fight. May her family find solace in the weeks to come in knowing she was an inspiration to many.

December 6, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. Anonymous

With all cancer research being performed all over the world, you would think that some of the experimental drugs could be tried. While they may be dangerous and have serious side-effects, "doing nothing" is fatal – and that seems – at least superficially – unacceptable.

December 6, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  9. Gail

Sorry to hear this about such an inspirational and classy lady. May she find peace, and her family strength. Condolences to all.

December 6, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  10. Debby

This was so sad to read. Prayers for her and her family.

December 6, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  11. Ed

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she doesn't suffer anymore. My monther passed away with cancer a few years back and it was tough watching her suffer. Quality of life should be top priority for her. I wish her family the best.

Ed

December 6, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  12. sskrill

Sorry to hear it. You always seemed like a nice woman. God bless.

December 6, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  13. rob, austin tx

all politics and grudges aside, cancer is horrible and no one should suffer that. i hope her meds are enough to keep her comfortable and her children see her not as a frail person as time nears but the women who fought this.

December 6, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. cykill45

now for her own post...i wish Elizabeth well, she is a very classy woman. I will keep her in my thoughts.

December 6, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  15. markus

wow, very sad news. She's been a class act and my thoughts are with her and her loved ones.

@Vivi- "May he forgive her lies"??? Really? Wow. May he forgive yours as well (as you are imperfect like all of us)...

December 6, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  16. Maria

This is so heart breaking. My prayers go out to her and her children. This poor lady has gone through so much, but yet she remained strong. I have so much admiration for her. May God ease her pain in these last weeks.

December 6, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  17. Dawn B

If only wishing it weren't so would make it all go away. Tragic news–I was so hoping Mrs. Edwards would beat this disease. She has conducted hersef with dignity and grace in the face of many difficulties. May she be at peace in her final days surrounded by her family and friends.

December 6, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  18. Stephanie

May she take comfort and peace in the presence of her loved ones. She's always had such grace during her difficult times, and I mourn for her family's loss of such a truly beautiful woman. Elizabeth will find peace, it is those left behind who will undertake the responsibility of carrying on her legacy. Love and blessings to all of you.

December 6, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  19. frankie

Kudos for her bravery. Prayers for her and her fam during this difficult time.

December 6, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  20. shirley

You are one of the strongest & bravest women I have ever admired ! Peace be with you I will be praying for your family and you.

December 6, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. Mannie

God be with her and her family, and bring them all peace.

December 6, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  22. Jack

Lovely woman but why is this on the front of CNN? Really!
    I am not being mean. Why?

December 6, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  23. chadd

it just figures. The decent one (Elizabeth) of that marriage dies from one of the worst illness you could have and the other one (John) gets off scott free with his campaign slut and another child. Gotta love sick irony! Hope she beats this,rests up, and runs for his job to stick it to him. As for John AIDS will catch up to him he keeps sleeping around eventually.

December 6, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  24. Name

Pole sana to Mrs Edwards and her family.

December 6, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  25. Jeepers

She has handled these last few years with incredible grace. She's an inspiration. I hope she has peace in the time she has left.

December 6, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |