December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. L Lintunen

What a gracious email from a beautiful soul. I don't need to say "God bless you" – he already has!

December 6, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  2. ollie

Ms Elizabeth,You are in the will of GOD now,He always does what is best for his children who are going through what is happening in your life at this time.I admire your strength.
    To your husband John Edwards,You wii reap what you sow,You may not feel it now but he will.
    God Bless you Elizabeth.

December 6, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  3. MelaniME

I am inspired by her.. I know so many people are going thru her same situation.. so they are all inspiring tough women/men too, but her story is in the 'public'. I pray you will be in a better place and that your 'babies' will hang in there and be ok

December 6, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  4. Rachel

Dear Elizabeth, you are an amazing woman. you have fought the good fight and have kept your faith... As you prepare to finishing the race and meet your God, may HE give you comfort and Peace in the final days of your life.
    Best wishes to your beloved children,

Sincerely,
    Rachel

December 6, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  5. Dell

You are a class act. I wish you all the love in the world. Enjoy the embrase of God. His love is there for you. Smile when it hurts and open your arms when you finally see him. All of us that love you will see you again.

December 6, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  6. JZent

Elizabeth Edwards is the epitome of grace under pressure, and she has been such an inspiration to so many people. God bless her.

December 6, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  7. Mo

Universal blessings as you pass from this part of the universe to the next. You gave strength and courage to all women. Your legacy will live on. We know you are a woman who lived life fully and gave to your country and women everywhere through your invaluable career work, your writing and will continue this through your beautiful children. Peace onward, E.

December 6, 2010 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  8. Lady S

Here's wishing you god's strength to make it through..May you and your family find the strength needed to go on in the coming days. May God bless you always..

December 6, 2010 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  9. Hope

May God Bless The Rest of Her Journey

December 6, 2010 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. Angie Cuebas

Your courage,strength and gracefulness is an inspiration to all women.My prayers are with you .

December 6, 2010 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. LizInStl

Peace to you, my dear. May God give your children strength and help you on your journey home.

December 6, 2010 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. steve

Elizabeth, I was going to say horrible things about your ex and the Democratic party but when I started to type my heart kicked in and I just wanted to say that you have been a shining star and an inspiration to everyone. I will pray for you and your children!

December 6, 2010 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. Suzanne

Elizabeth Edwards is an incredibly brave and insightful woman. She is so correct when she reminds all of us that our days are numbered. Cherish every day and make each one precious. I wish her a gentle passing surrounded by the people she loves. She will be a legend for many to look up to one day.

December 6, 2010 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  14. peaceonearth

She is a much stronger woman spiritually and mentally than many of us will ever be. I pray that the Lord does not take her away from her children. I lost my son in a tragic accident this summer. If she is chosen to leave this earth..may she be united with my son in Heaven...they would make a wonderful pair of angels to watch over this world.

December 6, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  15. Helen Thomas

..to Avi Shlomo..you have a kind and gentle heart, your words are uplifting, Love-Helen

December 6, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Patricia Hensley Ault

God bless you Elizabeth your courage and grace during the hardtimes in your life has showed me no matter how hard life is its up to us to keep going or sit and cry . My prayers are with you as you make this journey and with your family and friends as well . So many faces through our lifetimes are just a blur but yours is one I will never foreget .

December 6, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  17. drshirl

Elizabeth – you have such class, and have made women all over the world proud. May God Bless You and Your Family.

December 6, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  18. gt

may God bless you

December 6, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  19. saboe

God bless you and your family Elizabeth. The amount of grace and dignity you've shown over the years has been an inspiration to a lot of us. Please continue to stay strong.

December 6, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  20. Mark Michigan

i lost my mother and several other relatives to cancer. our prayers go out to elizabeth edwards and her family.

December 6, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  21. Celeste

Elizabeth, you've shown us all how to live through difficult times with grace and poise. Praying for God's peace to surround you and your family.

December 6, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  22. tracy

I pray for comfort and peace for you! I also pray that you know the personal love of Jesus Christ, cause if you do, you will know the peace that passes all understanding! God Bless you!

December 6, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  23. Murali-Devavrata

Look at the game of the nature.... When a baby is born, the kid cries and everybody around is in joy. But when a person dies, everybody around cries. But the soul is laughing all the way. When the soul becomes free, it transcends to its next abode. Let us try to enjoy the coming; for, birth is accident, death is the only truth.

Elizabeth... Live.

December 6, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  24. Callie369

Elizabeth Edwards' children have a mom who is teaching them by actions, the epitomy of class.

Dear God, she has suffered so much, both physically and mentally over the last couple of years. Please don't let her suffer unduly and when the time comes, take Elizabeth Home. Amen

December 6, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  25. charles s

It is a very sad day. May her family find some peace. A long good-by lies ahead.

December 6, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |