December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. Katy

7 years ago in 2003, my Mom made the same choice. She got to live a couple of months without wretching from the chemo, and died in her home with all her children, in peace. I can't imagine a better way to go.

December 6, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  2. Chaiah

Elizabeth has carried herself with dignity and grace. She is a class act and my family's hope for her is that whatever time she has left on this earth is filled with love from those around her...

December 6, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  3. Deeez

She should openly promote medical marijuana during her last few weeks

December 6, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  4. Joseph

Be strong. My father recently died of gastrointestinal cancer. I remember when the doctor sat the family down and gave us the same prognosis. Elizabeth, as long as your family is by your side, God will welcome you with open arms, as he did my beloved father.

December 6, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  5. anonymous

Hopefully she will make her peace with God and trust in Him before she goes, if she has not done so already.

December 6, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  6. Allan

I went through all this with my mother last summer. Too bad Mrs. Edwards had to live with a less-than-manly husband through her illness. But she's provided a great example of how to live with adversity. May her end be in peace and painless.

December 6, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  7. Jeannie in Dayton

Elizabeth, You are one of the classiest women I know. You have inspired more people than you can ever know. Even during the worst days, you have held your head high and been above the fray. I hope that the time left is pain free and filled with love. I will always remember your courage and spirit. God bless you.

December 6, 2010 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  8. Jo-Houston

May Gless her and her family at this time. She is in my prayers.

December 6, 2010 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  9. Sue

Praying now for you Elizabeth!

December 6, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  10. little gaint

Keep the faith, nothing is imposible with God, only him have the final say
    is not over yet. just believe, we love you and will continue to pray for you
    and your family

December 6, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  11. Robin

The more I think about it the more I'm glad you're going to be gone soon. Your filth needs to be removed from this earth.
    ---
    For real? Is this nasty invective the best you can do for a lady who has suffered enough?

Elizabeth, may Hashem grant you peace and removal from all pain and suffering. R'fuah sh'leima.

December 6, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  12. Rita

I have not always been a particularly big fan of Elizabeth Edwards – but she is handling this as a true Christian and I bow to her grace. God Speed.

December 6, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  13. rose

:-( This makes me feel sad. I don't have anything else to say.

December 6, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  14. neel

May god bless you and May you and your family find the strength needed to go on in the coming days.

December 6, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  15. Josh P

God Bless you Mrs. Edwards.

December 6, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  16. Name

Try to reach out baba ramdev from india

December 6, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  17. Toni

It's so sad that a beautiful, smart woman's life is cut short and sadder still that her children will not have her in their lives. In this season of hope and miracles let's not give up hope. You and your family are in my prayers.

December 6, 2010 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  18. Alex

I'm glad she's with her family & she's at peace. Nothing is more important than that. The world has been blessed to have such an intelligent & amazing woman.

December 6, 2010 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  19. Marie

All of those people who say Sarah Palin is a "role model" for young women should take a look at Elizabeth Edwards. She is amazing. This woman of class, grace, intelligence and elegance is the true "role model." America and the world need her and more like her. My heartfelt prayers go out to her and her family and I pray for a miracle.

December 6, 2010 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  20. bev

elizabeth – we hardly knew ye – but, oh! what we got from you – thank you – shalom, shalom -

December 6, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  21. DG

My partner has cancer also. I know how the family feels.
    I only hope that it's restful and painless for her and her family.
    Thank you for your courage. I pray for you and your family.

December 6, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  22. Dennis

Enjoy your family and time together.

December 6, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. massms

May the remainder of your long and difficult journey be peaceful and free from pain, Mrs. Edwards.

December 6, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  24. Mike from KC

My thoughts and prayers are with Elizabeth and her family.

December 6, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  25. PerlA

This is very sad and it sounds just like my mother in laws story she had leukemia :( unfortunately she died on feb 2 2010 and I know how hard It can be for the family..and herself may GOD almighty be with her..and remeber Repent so u will rest in peace..God is our God and savior!!! Jesus loves you...

December 6, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |