December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. Peacewalker

Elizabeth Edwards is among the best of us. In dying, she teaches us all how to live. Thank you for your tremendous gifts of grace. It is we who are thanking you. Peace, energy and love.

December 6, 2010 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  2. sk

She has been a courageous, and classy woman. Best wishes to her and her family. If anyone could be an example of one of the greatest public figures, she is definitely one to respect and admire. Not so much respect for her husband though.

December 6, 2010 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  3. Jason B.

Kudos to her doctors for being upfront with her that further treatment wouldn't help. And good for her for listening to them. I imagine there are too many doctors and patients that would try continuing on even when it wouldn't do any good.

December 6, 2010 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  4. MK

May, Allah bless you and I pray for recovery for all the cancer patients.

December 6, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  5. Dan

God bless you and your family Elizabeth.

December 6, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  6. Kaiser

what an immensely gracious person. She is a lady in the true sense of the word. To her i would say that I wish more women would follow your suite.
    Good Luck because I know you will get better

December 6, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  7. JC in SC

Grace and beauty are not sufficient descriptive terms for Elizabeth Edwards. I hope it doesn't sound irreverent to say that her hope must partially lie in her anticipation of seeing her son Wade once again. Gee, what a heartbreak for her children here.

December 6, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. Lillian

My heart is absolutely broken. Elizabeth Edwards is a strong, kind, classy lady, and someone I have admired for many years. I will be praying for her and her children daily.

December 6, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  9. prairieguy

Pray God's blessings and peace upon her during this trying time. May she continue to find strength in family, friends & faith.

December 6, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  10. Anonymous

I am praying for you and yourchildren. You are a lady with class and your children deserve someone with class to be around them. God bless you.

December 6, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  11. Mike

In her final days, may she be strenghtened by the love of her family and friends.

December 6, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  12. cony 007

I lost my mom a year ago to cancer. My prayers go out to you and your family. You remind a lot of my mom. She was tough cookie. She didn't take cr#$ from anyone. My mom would have got a long with you. You and my mom are great role models for other women and especially moms in this world. God be you and your family.

December 6, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  13. Tab

What an amazingly, beautiful woman. She has handled her pesonal issues with such class and dignity. I saw her on an Oprah show and she said she isn't afraid to die because her son is waiting for her. It was very touching. I feel so sad for her children she will leave behind. I hope their father can provide them with a stable, loving home. God Bless you and your family.

December 6, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  14. lginf6770

A classy LADY who has fought with dignity and grace. I pray for her and her family to keep the faith and for the strength to face what follows. Only God has the answer to why.

December 6, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  15. :(

I remember the day I heard the same news for my grandfather: that his cancer treatment failed and he would have to die. It was unbelievably painful. All of my sympathy to her and those who care for her.

December 6, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  16. Fred

As a caretaker of a mother with cancer I send my best to Elizabeth and her family.

God bless and God speed Mrs. Edwards!

December 6, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Bless her. She has carried herself with a dignity rarely seen. I hope her children know what a remarkable person she is and I hope they find peace in the coming months.

December 6, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  18. Mike

Elizabeth, i have no idea the thoughts and emotions that are running thru you. God, is with you and your family and will take care of it all. I hope you have a great X-mas, and remember America and I love ya.

December 6, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  19. Heidi

your in good hands

December 6, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  20. tee tee

The Lord will bless you forever. You are truly a GREAT WOMAN.

December 6, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  21. Tim Schurtter

What a dignified, and beautiful, way of expressing her thoughts and feelings at this moment in her life. Class act.

December 6, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  22. Erlinda

What class! What grace! May we all be inspired by her example. I will add a prayer for her

December 6, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  23. Miami Native

May God bless you and keep you in his arms...

December 6, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  24. Juan

This is really sad because I lost a relative to cancer a few years ago. Elizabeth Edwards has handled her problems very classy and her husband is a piece of trash. I wish her the best and her family as well.

December 6, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  25. Pablo_lorena

I wish you God's peace Elizabeth. My heart aches for your children. You are a very beautiful person. You handled all of the last couple of year with grace, I wish I could be half the person you are. Peace and Love be unto you.

December 6, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |