December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. Dean

I pray for her health. Here's the sad thing... we HAVE THE CURE FOR CANCER, but this damn government wont allow it to surface as we have built ourselves around this disease as we have oil. So very sad.

December 6, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. Linda Ohnmacht

Keeping Mrs.Edwards and family in thoughts and prayers. May she have only love and peace .

December 6, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. Cindy

I have always looked to her for an example of strength while battling my own breast cancer. I am sad. God bless her and her children. I know that she feels she wasn't done yet with them, but we just have to pray that all of our children will be ok if we don't get the chance to finish our work with them. Take care and bless you.

December 6, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  4. Jennifer

It's good that she will not be suffering anymore and will be at peace. I feel really sorry for her family and friends though. She was a very beautiful woman, kind and gentle.

December 6, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  5. Errol Neal

Please find comfort amongst your love ones Mrs. Edwards. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

December 6, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  6. Name

God blas u a good person may god blas u and your family

December 6, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  7. David

sorry, but why is this Breaking News? ... why is this headline/front page news?
    I don't a want to belittle her news, and I DO wish her a recovery. I just don't think this deserves the importance placed on it.

December 6, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  8. grandma2000

I am so sorry to read of Elizabeth Edward's posting. She is a real class act. I will pray for her and her children. Peace
    be with you.

December 6, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  9. PJ

She is a remarkable lady and our prayers are with her. She didn't deserve the horrible treatment her ex gave her and having to deal with the sleazy girlfriend. Elizabeth is a class act and everything the floozy doesn't have.

December 6, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  10. Greenspam

I thought of saying some ugly with reference to Schiavo case.. but you know.. this is not a time to hate. So I will now say, "best of luck".

December 6, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  11. Am

It is quite generous of this woman to send a message to the public. May she have peace during her last days.

December 6, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  12. Denise

Very very sad, but inspirational at the same time. Not one of us is immune to this kind of tragedy. Godspeed.

December 6, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  13. really

Scum? Maybe, just maybe, they grew apart or SHE stopped doing her part. I admire her, but people in marriage often stop doing the things that can keep the marriage together.

December 6, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  14. Kimberly

I was really hoping that she would beat this! My prayers are with her and her family.

December 6, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  15. Rita McElhaney

God bless you and your children.

December 6, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  16. Sussay

Wise words from a wise woman... thank you.

December 6, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  17. Avi Shlomo

our thoughts with you and your family. you have been a class act to follow and your smile and courage will always be part of our life. may you find peace in whatever time left for you in this material world. Thank you for being part of life.

December 6, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  18. wall

I wish she would keep fighting. Doctors are often wrong

December 6, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  19. Ds

May your family and friends be there to guide you and may you fly with the wind , a very admired strong person, that has blessed our nation through your grace. Thank you

December 6, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  20. Kerry Berger

I am saddened to read the cancer is no longer treatable. May Elizabeth be spared pain and be comforted by her loving family, relatives, friends and fans in her fight. Her dignity and grace is something to admire.

December 6, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  21. Rosalinda

Very sad. I am glad she has her friends and family at this time.

December 6, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  22. Spells

The best thing we should all do is pray to god and goddess. She is a strong woman and because of that her children will be strong.

December 6, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  23. MikeMazzla

Pretty classy id say.. I hope John has learned a very valuable lesson about how to live his life after what he did to her.

December 6, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  24. Miller

What a great lady she is. If every woman on earth was like her, this place would be a paridise. I'm sure when the time comes she'll be bound for a better place than this, and she deserves it.

December 6, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. Name psk

God bless this tough lady

December 6, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |