December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. Pat

God bless you, Elizabeth. Thank you for the class that you have shown over the years. It has been remarkable.

Pat ( A conservative who admires goodness whatever the political leanings)

December 6, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  2. AnthonyinVA

God Bless you Elizabeth!!! Thank you for the inspiring words, a shiny light you will always be.

December 6, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  3. easterconn

f-ing brave. enough said.

December 6, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Mrs.Edwards are prayers are with you and and your family, but when nothing works there is always the one we always tend to forget, the one that put our body,soul and spirit toghether, the only force who dictates everything around us, who loves and cares for every body, he can fullfill your health or your soul. please put your faith on him.

December 6, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  5. Sarah

I hope she is not surrounded by a certain ex family member, unless, of course, it is her wish...

December 6, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. NetNinja

Dear Miss Edwards,

God speed and the best to your family. Wishing you a Merry Christmas.

December 6, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  7. STAN

a great lady!! pure class.

December 6, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. tewrobert

Of all the money we have donated and spent on cancer research I cannot believe for one minute they cannot do better than this,
    Some of you people need to show A little respect, I cnanot believe Goodwin would say somehting like this at this time....What a pathetic creep you are..

December 6, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  9. steve

Take care beautiful lady. A lot of people are praying and thinking of you.

December 6, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  10. susan

Much love to you, Elizabeth, and all that you have given to make our lives better.

11. sisterhood

It's times like this that partisan bickering seems so petty and trivial. I am a republican but I have NOTHING BUT RESPECT AND ADMIRATION for this wonderful wonderful lady. Her spirit and self respect is nothing short than inspirational. May God richly bless her final days and may her children follow her incredible example of knowing their priorities and loving others.

12. ForLiz

May God be with her and her family during this most difficult time and may He give her comfort and peace. May He give her children strength. I pray for her husband as well, no matter how bad he may have been there is no way that this is easy for him either.

13. Katie

May angels lead her in. Love goes out to her family.

14. Anonymous

She's shown nothing but grace through the last few years. She's an encouragement for me and many others.

15. vivi

God is the ultimate judge. May he forgive her lies and bless the innocent children involved. I hope the children have a happier future than they've had in the past

16. Joyce P.

Elizabeth, Bless your heart. Lots of Peace to you and your family. Faith and Healing also. Miracles still do happen.

17. Bre

My thoughts and concern are with her and her family during this difficult time. Mrs. Edwards has lived her life with grace, beauty and dignity. I only pray her final days are filled with love and peace.

18. Deej

Bless your heart Elizabeth. You are a classy lady. Peace and enjoy your days.

19. PamAlaClax

God bless you and your children Elizabeth. May you have peace at this time,

20. marvin

My heart goes out to u. U a lady with class integrety and god will get u through this miss edwards I have faith u will beat this no matter wat the doctors say I marvin charles will pray for u through this and may my god wash this cancer away today oh lord my god help this lady its not her time she is a wonderful human being dat needs to do more good work in this world father please don't take her from us u have answered my prayers instanly before I don't ask for me but for her kids. They need her father I pray today lord

21. Tloves3

She is such an inspiration. Heartbreaking to read this news. I will be praying for her and her family.

22. NickInOrlando

May she find grace in the eyes of the Lord. May God watch over and care for her families grieving hearts.

December 6, 2010 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  23. Christos

What a beautiful person. Prayers go out to you and your family. May your loved ones feel the lord that has help you battle this terrible condition.

December 6, 2010 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  24. Debbie

You have amazing strength and I am praying for you and your family. Know you re loved by many Elizabeth.

December 6, 2010 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  25. Frances Foster

This beautiful woman has lived with dignity and grace. She knows how much she is loved and admired and I wish her Godspeed.

December 6, 2010 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |