December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. John

Know that people are praying with you.

December 6, 2010 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  2. Chris

You are inspiring.

December 6, 2010 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  3. Valerie

So sorry to hear this. : (

December 6, 2010 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  4. Jody White

Elizabeth, having class does not even begin to describe a woman like you. Your x-husband should not be allowed to walk on the same earth as you. God Bless you and your heroic fight to save your marriage and your life. Heaven will truly be graced when you arrive.

December 6, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  5. joseph000

Too bad John. If only you could have kept it in your pants for several years longer you could have had it all and sympathy on your side.

December 6, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  6. Sarah from TX

Breaks my heart to hear. I hope and pray that through the holidays that she has peace and love with her. Cancer is a horrible disease that has claimed many in my immediate family. She always is and will be to me the definition of a strong wife and mother to stand by her husband after all that he put her through. Her heart goes out to her children as they are faced with loosing their mother.

December 6, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  7. Sunnigirl

I'm blown away by how even at this point in her life she is able to hold her head up and speak with such grace. What a beautiful person. My heart and prayers go out to her and her family.

December 6, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  8. datuggle

My heart goes out to you and your family! You have shown us strength, courage, grace and I am truly inspired by you! I will continue to pray for you and your children for they will continue to know that you are a remarkable mother!

December 6, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  9. Mimi

I am sad to hear this, but know that soon she will have peace from all the trials of mortality. I will remember her for her genuine humanness in dealing with such deep personal pain so publicly.

10. David Scott

She is in the prayers of all good Americans. Her husband is not.

11. Anonymous

The gift of courage and faith you have given your children will keep your spirit alive for them all the day of their lives. My prayers are they will find comfort in knowing that their mother loved them enough to live her life graciously and to always make her children her top priority.

12. Bella Hanible

Mrs. E. Edwards has shown us all that faith and family comes first. She as demonstrated grace through so much. May God Bless you and your family.

13. Tim Schurtter

How classy. What a beautiful way of expressing her thoughts and feelings at this moment in her life.

14. Son of CSM.Wiggins

@ Karen just because he is a bad husband does not make him a bad dad. May god be with her in this time of need

15. Ruby

My prayers goes out to Elizabeth and her family, I lost my mother to breast cancer 8 years ago, she was 62. I admire her grace and the way she is dealing with her illness. God bless you and your family.

16. Christine

Too bad her husband had to be a loser and bail on her in her greatest hour of need. But she has shown so much grace and is someone too look up to.

17. Cindy in Carolina

I "know" even though it is difficult to accept. I pray for all of your family as well as your loved ones, as this will be difficult for all who know, have known and love you. You are the most graceful person I have ever seen and that sticks out the most in my mind. May you know Gods grace now and forever. i am quite sure he "knows". God bless you and your family in this, yet again, most difficult time.

18. jj

too bad her husband doesn't have to suffer this affliction instead of her. It's always the good people who have to suffer.

19. Texas

One journey ends, another begins.

20. Sarah S

I hope her days are full of grace and that her children know what an exceptional human being they have for a mom. God bless Elizabeth and her family.

21. OB GYN

I think John Edwards will sue the doctor who diagnosed her late....or maybe he wants her out early?
    That scum deserves everything for suing doctors especially Ob Gyns.

December 6, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  22. Mike

It's amazing how many people are posting as though she's dead or dying. We all have to die eventually. But if she reads 1st samuel 12:16 once and read psalms 91..seven times she will experience a miracle in her body. You see people faith in resilience and hope etc is human and ok but there is a cure for cancer but it's not a drug..It's a he..(God) Yes people christ still heals today you just have to believe his word and remove any doubt and trust him. I've seen everything from cancer, aids, tumors and everything else dissolve at his word. His Word is truth. Power of life and death is in our mouth..proverbs 18..You shall not die Elizabeth but live to see the glory of our Lord. Trust hIm...but Give him all the testimony for your healing...He loves you. I'm praying for you,

December 6, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  23. Samantha

I cried reading this....how we all have at one time or another taken life and all the joys that come with it for granted. We will all be with God one day, some sooner than others. My prayers are with Mrs. Edwards and her children and family. If her work is done here, than going home to be with Jesus is all we can pray for......

December 6, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  24. lisa r

many prayers for this strong and wonderful women. she fought the tough fight.

December 6, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  25. maine liberal

She could afford this and yet she fought to provide healthcare to everyone

December 6, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |