December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. ebeth in bville

May she and her family and friends find peace. She demonstrates grace, even as she leaves us and joins her Wade and so many more.

December 6, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  2. Susan in TX

This is very sad news, I had hoped she would beat this insideous disease that has claimed the lives of several of my own family members and friends. May you find comfort and peace at this time, but do not give up – God does provide miracles.

December 6, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. Name chaz

May Gods grace contine to carry her until she gets home

December 6, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  4. Cathy

I have always found Elizabeth to be a very classy lady, and she proves it once again. I really wanted to see her make it to her goal of her youngest reaching 18. I will pray for a miracle for her. God Bless you All.

December 6, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  5. mhl737

Such grace and dignity. What a wonderful example for us all.

December 6, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  6. Robbie Betanzos

Dear Elizabeth, You are such a beautiful LADY ( inside and out). You have handled your illness with such sytle and grace.
    I know God is holding your hand and will continue to do so. Our Love to you and your beautiful children. We are praying
    for You and the Children.

December 6, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  7. steve

I am always saddened to hear that cancer will claim yet another victim. It is my hope that the rest of her time here will be as pain free as possible. She certainly deserves nothing less.

December 6, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  8. Aki Bola

She seems like a nice lady, totally undeserving of that dirtbag husband. I hope she has peace in her heart.

December 6, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. Foxglove

Everyone is sadden by this news. We all wish her peace.

December 6, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. oracle

Best wishes to Elizabeth, John, their children and their family from us here in Houston. May her trip after this life be a peaceful one.

December 6, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. Deej

The children are so young, I forgot to mention that.

December 6, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  12. Chris adams

God Bless in every way...

December 6, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  13. makgroom

Elizabeth, may your strength be as strong as your heart is big. You are an inspiration to every woman. Your children are extremely fortunate to have you as their role model. Our hearts and thoughts are with you and your family.

December 6, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  14. TC

She is a shining example to all of us who have been betrayed by a loved one. I pray that she is at peace.

December 6, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  15. MJB

Mrs Edwards has always been brave throughout her ordeal. She has a strong faith. Her lord will be with her all the way. My prayers for her, family and friends.

December 6, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  16. Anne

Karen and A. Goodwin–Why do you feel the need to snipe at her ex-husband. He may have done wrong to Elizabeth, but none of us know what kind of dad he is. This is the time to only wish the family good thoughts, not snarkiness.

December 6, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  17. Kaitlyn

My thoughts and prayers are with you, precious lady. I know from your posting that your faith is comforting you. May God's peace be with you and your family. You are an inspiration to more people than you can ever know. I'll always remember your comment after an especially difficult time in your life. "I've been through much worse." And you have. Please know how much you mean to thousands who never met you but whom you have touched in your beautiful way.

December 6, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  18. Elle

Ms. Edwards' life hs not always handed her an easy path, but she has lived to the fullest and given all her talent and love to her family and her country. She has all my support and respect; the disappointments fade away in light of her achievements and especially the love of her children and the lives she has helped them to build. She is a person of grace and courage and dignity, and I understand how she always did her best even under challenging circumstances. I admire her appetitie for life and her amazing courage.

December 6, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  19. Dima

Elisabeth...the doctors have their say and God has his...Please keep fighting, I pray for you and your family. My aunt was in the same situation, the doctors stopped her treatment, she was given herbal treatment in Africa and she lived another 10 years...please don't stop the fight!!! We love you!

December 6, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  20. Padmanabham

I wish any other alternate medical system can provide better relief to her.
    "More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of!" – Tennyson

December 6, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  21. cnnshlt

Who Cares......

December 6, 2010 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  22. Jennifer

I can only think that the stress of her husband's mistress, John himself, and all of the tabloid fodder surrounding their affair led to the aggressive advancement of her cancer. There's a special place for people who engage in those types of activities, especially when their spouse is battling an illness such as this. I hope that John and Rielle (or whatever the Hell her name is) sleep well at night. Elizabeth, you ma'am are an inspiration. God be with you and your children.

December 6, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  23. Mitch

She deserved better than she got.

December 6, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  24. Kris

I am so sad for her children.. I believe the youngest is 10 or 11. I was never a fan of her husband or his politics but this woman has endured alot, and she is the picture of grace and class. I am praying for Elizabeth but it does sound like the end of the road is near. Thank you Elizabeth for everything.

December 6, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  25. Maggie

What a strong and classy lady. I'm glad she has friends and family to support her right now. There are many out there who don't, and i think of them as i read her story.

December 6, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |