December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. Grace

May the Lord be with her as she embarks on this journey, we would all take someday. Mrs Edwards, I love you and praying for you and your family at this very difficult time.

December 6, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. Jack

THE GRACE OF GOD

Elizabeth Edwards is a precious lady. It is sad. But the Bible says that we’re all like a vapor. We’re only here for a very short time, and then we’re gone. But the beautiful thing is that God has offered us all the gift of eternal life.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son,
    that whosoever believes in Him should never perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

For this reason it says:

"For all have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)

And:

"For by grace are we saved through faith, and that not of ourselves.
    It is the free gift of God and not as a result of works, lest anyone should boast." (Eph 2: 8, 9)

So how does one receive this free gift of eternal lift?

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart
    that God raised him from the dead, you shall be saved." (Romans 10: 9,10)

To whom is this offer given to:

Jesus said, "all who come to Me, I will in no way cast out." (John chapter 6)

So, how does one come to Jesus?

Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5: 3 Sermon on the Mount) This verse is summed up in the hymn, "Just as I am", and it goes like this:

"Just as I am without one plea, but that Thy blood was shed for me,
    and at the impulse of Thy love, oh Lamb of God I come, I come."

So come to Jesus today. You'll be very glad you did.

December 6, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. Mouse

Very Sad.

December 6, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  4. Cominghome

Mrs. Edwards, you have shown such grace and courage during this time. May God grant you peace during this time. The Edwards family, may God encourage your hearts to know that your mother and wife has been such an influence on millions of Americans. May you be comforted.

December 6, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  5. Gene in FL

Mrs. Edwards has shown nothing but grace, class & dignity during her ordeals. God bless you!

December 6, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  6. sophie

Elizbeth, I am so sorry what you have to go thru, stay strong and beleive that God with take care of you. I lost my sister couple of months ago to this monster, but she knew that God will be there to take her in...I will pray for you, and my heart and love goes out to you and your children. As for Mr. Edwards, he will pay for his sins, and I am sure he has regrets already..Shame on him not to Love and stay comminted to his wife for some cheap trills...
    God Bless Elizabeth...

December 6, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  7. Jaynicia

Bless you, Elizabeth. May the Creator lift you up and hold you in his arms.

December 6, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  8. Frances Morris

When I heard the news, I felt as though I were hearing it about a personal friend. I know so many of us feel connected to
    Elizabeth, not only because of what she has endured these past few years, but because she has shown real courage and grace that we all hope to find within ourselves as well. May her last few weeks be filled with love and peace.

December 6, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  9. Don Allen

Mrs. Edwards,

Thank you for your tremendous display of dignity and humanity. May your life and words of hope and personal strength serve as a lasting gift to us all.

December 6, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  10. Anon101101

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope." NOTICE it is NOT worded to include god. Life would be NOT much of a test for the afterlife IF god appeared and said obey. Does it do any good to NOT believe in god. Thou shall not lie, cheat and steal should be common sense.

December 6, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  11. Zacdaddy

Good things don't last long in life,an so is all the good people like her.she carried herself in the spirit of compassion,even when her estranged husband cheated on her.my heart goes to her and her lovely children,and may the lord walk with her til end of times

December 6, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  12. Mark A. Westen

Life ends. Let's hope a baby born when Elizabeth dies loves and contributes to the world as much as she has.

December 6, 2010 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  13. midnitejax

An amamzing act of courage on her part. Facing the inevitable with great class, she is admired for her strength and courage, and will be remembered for it always. Her charachter will never come into question.
    Her low life alleged husband sits at her bedside for damage control on his public image. The audacity of this scoundrel is never ending. He's a self indulgent creep who's mere presence by her side is an insult to all that is decent.

December 6, 2010 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  14. Kathleen Rivard

I met Elizabeth several times in New Hampshire in 2007. She was awe inspiring, gracious, spunky, and intelligent. Women who had gone thru cancer treatment or were going thru treatment stood in line to touch, talk, and share their experience with her. The 2 hours I spent in her company that night were absolutely magical and I will never forget it. God bless Elizabeth, Kate and the 2 younger children.

December 6, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  15. Mrs. Gaines

My heart and prayers go out to her and her family...

December 6, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  16. larissa

I hope her husband is tortured by guilt every day for the rest of his life and may he live to be 120.

December 6, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  17. Name

hello elizabeth , i would like to say to u , stay strong sweetheart ... I work at a hospital here in m.d. and the floor i work on is oncolgy , it's very difficult at times to see these patient's suffer the way they do , but i will have to say i have came across some of the best people in my life... U are blessed to have loving people surrounded by u to see u through , until the lord is ready to take u home , that i am grateful to hear for u ... U have been a blessing in so many ways to the world and brought alot of peace to alot of hearts ... God bless u and ur family .. Prayers are all around u ...

December 6, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  18. Chris Enlow

God bless you.

December 6, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. Rich

Ourprayers are with you though this difficult time. May peace be with you and your family. God does take the best at times. May your family be full of strength with you during this sad time. God Love.

December 6, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. Ann

Let us not waste our time demonizing John Edwards; that has been done already, and I'm sure he knows in his heart the additional pain and disappointment that he caused Elizabeth. Let us hold her up to light, healing and peace as she continues to live her final days in grace. May all that she contributed to the world be a testament to who she really was; may her friends and family, most importantly her children, be showered in the love that she will leave them.

December 6, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  21. Ambear

I am surprised that she wants Mr. John by her side. Maybe she figures that the more poised she behaves, the worse he will feel.

December 6, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  22. Hope

She's the epitomy of grace, class and steady faith. I don't know her personally, but I pray, God keep her and comfort her.

December 6, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  23. OtvoriteOci

Well done, Elizabeth. You inspired and humbled us. Thank you for your grace and dignity.

December 6, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  24. Lakerjames

Mrs edwards your strength and courage should be a life lesson for all of us even with her husbands infidelity she handled it with grace you truly are a special being may jehovah watch over you

December 6, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  25. Anonymous

What a neat woman! She's soon to be with her older son who passed away in a car accident, I believe. She's been a real hero and a good wife, even though her husband did what he did. I hope she rests in peace. My thoughts are with her for a wonderful meeting with her son who is waiting for her in Heaven.

December 6, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |