December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. joseph mathews

sorry to hear the news, she has been extremly gracious through her times of difficulty. May Lord give her courage and bless her. I will keep on praying.

December 6, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  2. Albert Zaza

What a classice woman – keep your head up, you are in our prayers.

December 6, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  3. Rose Flynn

My thoughts and prayers to a very courageous woman. I hope you have peace surround you at this time and know the love of family and friends. You have been a role model to women everywhere. We should only hope to be half the woman you are.

December 6, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  4. MIke, Dallas, TX

Elizabeth, we are praying for you. You are a woman of grace and virtue; your life has been lived admirablly producing such wonderful children and bringing joy to them and the world. I pray strength and understanding for you as you prepare to venture into a new beginning reunited with a son lost too soon. God speed Elizabeth and save a place for me on the other side.

December 6, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  5. db

First Class.. Best of wishes to her, as she goes gracefully into the long night. may we all be so brave and astute in our nature to be as strong as her

December 6, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. Abdus Sattar

Very sad to hear this news.
    I hope GOD miracle will happen and give a smile to us who want her lives few more years for her children.
    She is an example of an excellent human being.
    I wish best of luck for her and family including John Edwards because we human do mistake and sin.

December 6, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  7. 綱手- Tsunades Twin

For this woman to carry herself with the grace and dignity that she has in the face of adversity is truly to be admired. Even when her husband's infidelities came to light, she handled it all with the same dignity and true bravery that she is handling her final days. There aren't many women out there like her.

I am praying for her children, who will definitely be in pain when their remarkable mother moves into that new spiritual plane called heaven. I pray that her final days will be pain free and that she maintains that positive attitude that has sustained her thus far.

I know that I shouldn't be negative or catty but it bothered me to see that her philandering estranged husband John was with her. I know they were married for many years and this is the time when you'd need the support of a spouse. However, with the timing of his infidelities – and the love child that resulted – being revealed as Elizabeth was entering a critical phase of treatment, I can't help but feel angered by the fact that it took this final diagnosis to finally get John back in line. Elizabeth is incredible for being able to handle this situation as well.

December 6, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  8. Yanor

May your love for our God bring peace knowing that Mrs. Edwards is such a special lady.

December 6, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  9. Nicole

I have an incredible amount of respect for her, and I can't imagine the pain she and her family are going through during this time. Here's hoping she's surrounded by comfort and love right now. She and her entire family will he in my thoughts and prayers.

December 6, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  10. Mark

May God be with her in and Ger family at this time.

December 6, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  11. jnixon7

Eliabeth,
    I just talked to the greatest doctor in the world and he said he is going to let you live like you have never lived before. My God has never failed me to this day. Elizabeth I know you have went through some trials here recently but God is greater than all. Stand still and watch him work.

Love Johnny Nixon

December 6, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  12. Liz

God bless and keep you, Elizabeth, you have been an example of enduring strength and dignity.

December 6, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  13. John

Read my blog on Cancer at http://amazingmedicalbreakthroughs.blogspot.com/ . Every cancer, includingstage 4 TERMINAL can be cured!

December 6, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  14. Hawke

Mrs. Edwards is a very brave lady. May she find comfort in being with her loved ones at this time and I wish her peace. I pray that her family and friends will be comforted by her inspiring life.

December 6, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  15. Name

Can't help but wonder if all the added stress her so called husband put her through these last couple of years had an impact on her condition. May God bless Her and her family during this difficult time and may God have mercy on her.

December 6, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  16. DavidINlafayette

I don't beleive in life after death - except right now.

December 6, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  17. sharon Brown

Mrs. Edwards I commend u for your strneght. The bible tells me the Lord want put no more on u than u can bear.u r a stong woman and u keep fighting until the end. I will keep praying for u and your family. To your husband u will weap what u sow . The lord knows your heart Mrs. Edwards and he has u in his hands. U b blessed and keep praying for 6od's mercy and grace. I love you and may God bless u.

December 6, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  18. Crusty

classy woman!

December 6, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  19. Wilma Wonka

The grace with which she has handled a very public humiliation and her illness has gained her my total respect and admiration. I hope her children come to learn how strong their mother was and how truly admired she was/is by so many people. She didn't deserve what happened to her and her marriage and still, she held her head up when I'm sure she almost felt defeated by life. Inspirational.

December 6, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  20. mplaya

Such sad news. She has shown such dignity and grace in dealing what life has thown at her these past few years. May she find peace this holiday season and be surrounded by all she loves. Thoughts and prayers to her family.

December 6, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  21. joe

God Bless this lady, my mom died of cancer, I know what is to lose a love one, my thoughts and prays go to her and her relatives.

December 6, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  22. tee tee

May the Lore Bless You. You are truly a GREAT WOMAN.

December 6, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  23. Kimber67

What a beautiful lady, inside and out. I could only wish to have as much class as she does. We are all praying for you, Elizabeth.

December 6, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  24. AC

My wife (cancer survival) and I wish you peace. Those that who comment please refrain from bringing up bad things or the past. Let her comfort in the fact that people are praying for her and others who suffer from cancer. My wife and I will pray you and the pain the your going through. Amen

December 6, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  25. Julio

Mrs Edward if could only believe in Jesus the son of God that he die at the cross for what you are going through and that he rose from the grave to give you life here in this life and the one yet to come. Then you will truely will know how much God loves you an that he don't want you to die with out his grace witch is his salvation for everyone in thie world. God bless you Mrs Edwards and your family and everyone that reads this massage...

December 6, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |