December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. Sandra phillips

MRS E. Edward please keep the faith remember that God loves you he has the finally word you will not go any where until he get ready for you, WHEN YOUR WORK DOWN HERE IS DONE THAT WHEN HE WILL CALL YOU HOME TO BE WITH HIM JUST KEEP THE FAITH AND PRAY WE ARE ALL PRAYING WITH YOU. MAY GOD BE WITH YOU ALWAYS.

December 6, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  2. Neal

Could cancer be something different than what we have been taught? That it is a defective cell that grows malignant and spreads within our body? Could it be that we are putting poor quality foods and in fact harmful foods in our bodies? I think so. Cancer treatment doesn't seem to work and doctors get rich and we lose our health. Could it be a scam? Could it be a giant lie? If doctors know what they are doing how come their patients continue to die? Do the doctors have to keep up the scam to protect their past? I believe cancer is something created by our bodies to clean up the junk we have put in. We call it cancer and we have learned to fear it and most expect to get. The pain and pus and fatigue are a sign our body is desperately trying to clean things up. We should be eating fat and protein rich foods and passing on pasta, bread, juice, crackers and other unhealthy foods. Pass on soda, caffeine too. Most, see doctors that poison our bodies and radiate them and of course we get sicker. Please give this some thought. Thank You.

December 6, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  3. Marlene

God bless you Elizabeth and your family. I am so sorry, you have been through so much....

December 6, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  4. NavyMom

Prayers to this beautiful lady. She will always be ok, because she has faith and the strength to be.

December 6, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. Abhijit Guha

Your grace and grit touches me deeply. Please keep up the fight to be smiling till the very end.

December 6, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  6. MGR

May God grant you the peace and the comfort that you and your family need. ..... my Prayers to all of you

December 6, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  7. Brijhy

Can't see to type through my tears. *sigh* Elizabeth, God who is merciful, loving, kind and forgiving, has prepared a place in his bosom for you. May God bless and keep you.

December 6, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. Mrs. Jones

May the angels hold your hand as you walk through the glorious door of heaven.

December 6, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  9. Rick McDaniel

Sadly, we are yet a long way from being able to save all those who contract various forms of cancer.

December 6, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  10. vwm

May her passing be peaceful; may she find comfort in knowing that so many have admired her from afar for her intelligence, her courage, her optimism, and her grace. Blessings to her children as they will greatly miss her presence in their lives. Godspeed dear Elizabeth.

December 6, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  11. Name

Why are we fighting aids, When we should be fighting cancer?

December 6, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  12. dave

may the peace of Christ that passes all understanding rest and remain with her thru these times. GOd bless you mrs. edwards for your impact on family and friends...youhave inspired many and your legacy remains solid strong and an example...
    !!!

December 6, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  13. Marilyn Valley

The good Lord is with you the rest of the journey, beautiful lady. Please know that you're loved and admired all over the world. For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16.

December 6, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  14. ILoveYouElizabeth

I love You Elizabeth! Don't believe the Doctors, instead know what "grace" is. You have the Creative Power within you to claim your healing/well being. We as humans are incarnated with this creative power....also called God, Whole Spirit (Holy Spirit), The Source etc. Please don't accept dying of cancer, as the Power Within manifests exactly what you believe in. Believe the Spirit within you...that this power can heal you no matter what! It's your choice of course.....I just don't want to see you go out like that! I Love you Elizabeth....close your eyes...and shut the naysayers out....Feel the Power within you....healing you, loving you, healing you, loving you....perfecting your body! It's never to Late!!!! Please Elizabeth be filled with Peace, Love, Health and Wholeness, Harmony, Joy! Your Soul is a component of God...You are one with God...let go of the anxiety, and forgive everyone for their trespasses, and forgive yourself for whateever!!!! Feel the Power of God within you healing you! Believe in it and allow it to happen! I love you! Grace is the Power of God within you!!!

December 6, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  15. Tim in Massachusetts

May the Blessings of personal faith be with Elizabeth. The effects of her life will live on, because of her true devotion to Family and Friends, even when faced with personal and health struggles. My hope is that God be with her and may she enjoy the rest she truly deserves.

December 6, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  16. Kathi

God bless you Elizabeth. Only He knows what the future holds. I will continue to pray for you and your children.

December 6, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  17. P Contreras

Prayers are with you Elizabeth. Keep fighting. Enjoy your children and family. You have shown your children how to be warriors and brave. Be proud of yourself and know that you fought the battle and didn't back down.

December 6, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  18. Bill

Someone's got to find a cure for this disease. Can you imagine being as coherent as she is right now and knowing that you're expected to die in weeks? It's just horrible.

December 6, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  19. Susan

She is a beautiful lady with a beautiful heart. Too bad her husband couldn't have given her the respect she deserved... my heart goes out to her and her children. God Bless.

December 6, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  20. sam6350

This is such BS. How much longer till scientists actually DO SOMETHING about this bloody disease. How much more money do we have to throw at this before something actually works?!?!?

Dmanit

December 6, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  21. Paige Whaley Eager

I lost my father to cancer this May. I am 37, so I cannot even begin to imagine how her young children are going to get through this. She has been an inspiration to everyone who has watched her in the public eye for all of these years. I don't understand why such suffering must affect those who have so much more left to contribute to our world. May her legacy and grace be comfort for her surviving children. Let us not forget that she had one child predecease her.

December 6, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  22. Joseo

May the good Lord our God be with u Elizabeth.

December 6, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  23. Raventerror

A life is fading, yes but this is far from front page news.

December 6, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  24. Amanda

What a class act! The world is a better place because she lived. She touched so many lives. Too bad John turned out to be such a scumbag. She deserved better than him.

December 6, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. Disgusted

@Jack:
    What a horrible thing to do! How do you think it is OK to preach when a woman out there is struggling with cancer? The issue is not Jesus, but the fact that this beautiful woman is dying, and we're trying to pay our last respects! You make me sick. Go preach somewhere else, you nut.
    Anyway, I really hope she gets better. She is a wonderful lady who is kind and caring. I hope she and her family get through this difficult time alive and well!

December 6, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |