Cantor criticizes Obama's hostage analogy
December 7th, 2010

Cantor criticizes Obama's hostage analogy

Washington (CNN)–House Republican Whip Eric Cantor sharply criticized President Obama's analogy at his press conference Tuesday that compared negotiating with Republicans on tax cuts to talking with "hostage takers."

Obama said, "I have said before that the middle class tax cuts were being held hostage to the high end tax cuts. I think it is tempting not to negotiate with hostage takers unless the hostage gets harmed."

"What the American people are looking for are results," said Cantor. "They want to see an economy that returns to a growth mode and they want to see more jobs for more Americans, so I don't think those kinds of comments were helpful."

House Speaker-Elect Boehner declined to comment on the President's analogy, telling CNN, "I didn't hear it."

Filed under: Eric Cantor • President Obama • Tax deal
  1. Oy Vey Az

Well personally I think that throwing the middle class to the economic wolves unless you get your caviar way is chicken crap too. Though the term hostage is just a bit too light for me ... I prefer to think that the terms victimized, violated, and raped more aptly apply.

December 7, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  2. rob

And by the way Sniffit, you seem to resort to name calling yourself. It must be in the DNA of liberals when they can't win an arguement.

December 7, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  3. Chuck Anaheim, Ca

Since the president has been called everthing except a human being by these thugs mr. cantor should be happy that they were only called out on what they were doing in a civil way.

December 7, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  4. Truthbetold

The gop thugs are a clear and present danger. They should be dealt with accordingly.

December 7, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. Proud member of "Global Zero"

I pretty much criticize everything about Cantor. Again, I was reared with. "If I can't say anything nice about some one, don't say anything" So, "....................................................................."

December 7, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  6. Marko

If it is the republican results we get again, then hurry up and renew your AAA card, because that car is going straight into the ditch again.

December 7, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  7. rs

Well, Cantor, what would you call it?! You and the rest of the rapacious Republicans said no business until the rich get a giant tax break. Didja use a gun?

December 7, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |