Elizabeth Edwards passes away
December 7th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards passes away

(CNN) – Elizabeth Edwards, the estranged wife of former North Carolina senator and presidential candidate John Edwards, died Tuesday after a lengthy battle with cancer, according to a family spokesperson. She was 61.

She died at the family home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, according to a statement released by the family.

"Today we have lost the comfort of Elizabeth's presence but she remains the heart of this family," the statement said. "We love her and will never know anyone more inspiring or full of life."
FULL STORY

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • John Edwards
  1. Jayden,FL

So sad my condolences goes out to the Edwards family, may your gentle soul rest in peace

I hope John regrets everything he did to her.

December 7, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  2. Ann

A very sad situation and a complicated one as well...................I hope that her children will be able to handle the loss of their mother and I hope that despite all that as gone on, that they will cling to their father and be close to him. RIP Elizabeth Edwards.

December 7, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  3. T'sah from Virginia

OMG – I did not think she was this far gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in tears right now. I thought she just stopped the treatment and had a little more time!!!

This is such a HEARTFELT moment for the country!!! I hope God gives the family strength to live through this tragedy. My prayers are with them.

December 7, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Gasp!
    Mrs. Edwards I thank God for delivering you from the grasp of this dreadful, and cannibalistic disease.
    You showed grace and courage during your fight, may you finally rest in peace.

December 7, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  5. ~~ JULY ~~ ( Palin is the new Paris Hilton )

Brave woman ... my condolences to Mrs. Edwards. RIP.

December 7, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  6. ww

I too thought she had a least a little time, even weeks. Sad to hear this news so soon. RIP Elizabeth...

December 7, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  7. former republican

Rest In Peace Elizabeth! May your reunion with Wade be a blessed one. My condolences to the family.

December 7, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  8. Kacee Guy

Rest in peace, Elizabeth Edwards. May the angels fold their wings around you, take away all of your pain and welcome you home.

December 7, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  9. rachel

Peace be with you.

December 7, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  10. Lori in St Pete

Such a gracious lady, and such a sad time of year to lose a loved one.

December 7, 2010 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. coloradoDem

How sad :(

December 7, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  12. Nancy Pelosi, the wicked witch of the west, the DemocRAT gift that just keeps on giving

A classy courageous woman who deserved much better. Very sad. John Edwards must have a hard time living with himself.

December 7, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  13. Aidan

Rest in peace. This woman went through a lot this past 2 years and I hope that she went in peace.

December 7, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  14. North of the border in Canada

A true lady in all that she did , rest in peace and godspeed

December 7, 2010 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  15. richard

Rest in peace

December 7, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  16. Proud member of "Global Zero"

A very sad moment for all of us. I pray for her children. Peace be with her and her family

December 7, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  17. Karen

I am sad she is gone. What a nice lady. I don't see how John can look on the mirror knowing the public humiliation he caused her.

December 7, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  18. Me

I am speechless. Like many others, I thought she had more time.
    Rest in Peace Elizabeth Edwards

December 7, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  19. Man of God

May the god of peace & forgiving receive her soul with gladness:)

December 7, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. NYJim

May Allah bless you with His blessings and make your resting place a garden of heaven. Aameen.

December 7, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  21. a little sad

RIP. You were a true lady.

December 7, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  22. Tricia Moon

My condolences go out to Edwards Family & Friends. God bless you all & give you comfort during this time. <3 Always Moon family in Iowa

December 7, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  23. Disgusted in Texas

Class, dignity, and compassion. Traits that I will try to obtain. God Bless her, her children, her friends, and all who
    truly loved her.

December 7, 2010 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  24. Patricia

The world will be less one bright and shinning star. However, due to her grace, dignity, beauty, class and intellect, she will always be remembered. She had a great deal of success and that success will live on in her many accomplishments. While I am sad, as are most people, we should celebrate her life and what she meant to so many people..... May she rest in peace and blessings to her family.

December 7, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  25. susan

Thank you, Elizabeth, for your passionate work.

December 7, 2010 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |