Frustrated Obama challenges Democratic detractors
December 7th, 2010

Frustrated Obama challenges Democratic detractors

Washington (CNN) - In a rare display of frustration, President Barack Obama insisted Tuesday that liberal Democrats were holding him to an unfair standard of achievement by complaining he has conceded too much to political opponents.

At a hastily arranged news conference on his deal with Republicans to extend tax cuts and jobless benefits, Obama rejected protests by Democrats that the agreement announced Monday amounted to a political defeat.
FULL STORY

Filed under: President Obama • Tax deal
  1. concerned liberal

"liberal Democrats were holding him to an unfair standard of achievement"

Since you made your own promise not to do what you just did, you kind of set your own standard. Or did you think we would forget?

December 7, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  2. Rick McDaniel

Dems need to face up......Obama gets what he wants.......the ability to spend hundreds of billions more dollars.........and all he has to give up, is the tax break for the rich Senators, which includes BOTH parties.

December 7, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  3. George

I only have a simple question ....What have the liberal democrats acheived besides impass????

December 7, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  4. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert, but...

What the spelunker-in-chief (he caves a lot, get it?) fails to realize is that we lefties aren't mad because we didn't get everything we wanted. We're mad because we didn't get ANYTHING we wanted, because he refused to fight for anything. Not even once. Sorry, caveman, you just lost a lifelong democrat. I'm voting green or socialist from here on out and I really don't care what the consequences are. Later, consumerbots. I'm out of here. Have a nice life.

December 7, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. Ancient Texan

The President may have actually looked at the results of the mid-term elections and "got it". The far left loons in the House and Senate will not get it until the day after the 2012 elections and they too are lame duck former legislators. The arrogance and gall they possess will not let them accept anything short of total socialism.

December 7, 2010 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  6. malabar

Maybe now he can transform himself into a man i wud vote for in 2012

December 7, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  7. moderate voter

I know how he is feeling. I mean how are you suppose to keep promises when the crap keeps hitting the fan. It like telling your child that you will be home by six but there seems to be an accident every two blocks. i will give him a break because the presidency cannot be prepared for. It is something you have to play by ear even if it just doesn't sound just right.

December 7, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

His job, he said, is to move past party politicking to do what's best for the country. Otherwise, "people will have the satisfaction of a having a purist position and no victories for the American people," Obama said.
    -------------------------------------------------–
    The President has set aside his own personal biases and preferences (What? You don't think he would've enjoyed whomping a Rethug? Think again) and looked at the LONG view,NOT the short course.
    I'm NOT tickled by this decision, but his points are valid.
    Somebody's got to be the adult and stop playing political games. That's why he's the President and the Rethugs are just thugs.

December 7, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  9. Marie MD

Mr. President, you are trying to do your best but the rethugs only care about their rich friends. After all, between the filthy rich and the corporations come 2012 they need to keep them all happy.
    Thanks, mainly to independents, who voted for these idiots to take over our country again after the worst eight years of the shrub's dictatorship!!! I hope you all wake up in 2012!

December 7, 2010 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. Four and The Door

Randolph Carter, I'm no expert, but...
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

December 7, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. freda

President Obama has done and is doing the best he can with what he has to work with. It is abundantly clear that the republicans want him to fail. Now is the time for the democrats to support him and stick together like the republicans do. At least they (the repubs) are not hypocrites. They said what their purpose is – to make sure he is a one-timer president. I'm wondering if inwardardly some of the democrats have the same goal. If they don't like the president's agenda, study and listen to what he has to say and what he is actually doing. Don't make the middle class suffer because of your dislike of President Obama as a person. Respect him as our President. George Bush was given anything he wanted and he was given more respect respect in one day than President Obama has been given in two years. Wake up democrats and see it for what it is.

December 7, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  12. Sniffit

"I guarantee you it was not the Republicans fighting to extend paychecks for people to sleep late, go the the beach and hang out all day. "

More conservative cognitive dissonance. So, despite all the evidenec that unemployment insurance is our BEST economic stabilizer and stimulator for creating jobs (do your homework and get on the GoOgLes), you come to this article to claim that all it is is a handout to lazy people IGNORING THE FACT THAT THERE ARE NO JOBS FOR THEM TO GO GET. OK, fin. Soooo, how long will it be before you're back in another article complaining that the unemployment rate is all Obama's fault and he is doing nothign to create jobs BECAUSE THERE ARE NO JOBS OUT THERE FOR PEOPLE TO GO GET?

December 7, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert, but...

Four and The Door

Randolph Carter, I'm no expert, but...
    "I guarantee you it was not the Republicans fighting to extend paychecks for people to sleep late, go the the beach and hang out all day. The Democrats did win that in this agreement."
    December 7, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |

Whatever, man. Enjoy your corporate theocracy.

December 7, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. moderate voter

At this moment I am proud others support the commander. Even if you don't like him you must respect the office of which he holds. I didn't like bush but I still respected him.

December 7, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  15. Steve in North Carolina

Randolph Carter, I'm no expert, but...
    "Sorry, caveman, you just lost a lifelong democrat. I'm voting green or socialist from here on out and I really don't care what the consequences are. Later, consumerbots. I'm out of here. Have a nice life."
    -------------------------------------------------–Good bye Randolph. Try France. It sounds like your kind of country.

December 7, 2010 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  16. S. In California

Well, realistically speaking, I have a job so I can't be temperamental on this issue. However, to those who REALLY want to work and can't find a job the extension of unemployment benefits is a good thing. On the other hand, I pay taxes and I am one of those middle class workers who is tried of catering to the rich. They DON'T neither have they EVER cared about my welfare and frankly my darling, I don't give a damn about theirs either. Mr. President you took one step forward and 10 steps backward. I'm beginning to doubt you REALLY want a second term and I can't say I blame you with the way you have been treated.

December 7, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  17. Sniffit

" The arrogance and gall they possess will not let them accept anything short of total socialism.'

THis has ZERO to do with socialism you certifiable batsh-t crazy talking point parrot. This has to do with (a) whether atx cuts for peopel who have 100% of the disposable income they need + a whoel lot more need a atx cut whether it's a great economy or a crappy one...hint – they do NOT and if they were to receive one, the only responsible time to give it to them is when everything is peachy, not when everything is in the crapper and we need them to step up to the plate to serve the country that made their insane wealth possible in the first place and (b) how much such an unnecessary and unsustainable tax cut deepens our debt and deficit problems. No, the GOP can NEVER AGAIN claim the moral high ground with respect to fiscal responsibility. No evidence supports their policy ideology here, the majority of the country does not support it and, in fact, all evidence and expert opinion runs contrary to their policy position on this....let alone the basic tenets of common decency and equity.

December 7, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  18. Nancy Pelosi, the wicked witch of the west, the DemocRAT gift that just keeps on giving

Well, maybe, JUST MAYBE, the clueless Obozo made promises he was too clueless and arrogant to know what he could and could not do as President. You see being a dopey community organizer is not very good preparation for the highest offcie in the land.

December 7, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  19. stufit

Did you hear him slam and knock Republicans. Apparently he does not think that "ordinary Americans" are those who go to work, work hard and pay taxes. To him an "ordinary American" is an entitlement dependent, non educated drug addict or a corrupt union member. Don't worry, he still doesn't get it and is out to steal more of our money in any way possible. This is an incompetent, inept, corrupt, lying, union toady, the definition of a democrat liberal.

December 7, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  20. doxiesf

Now I know what is ment by Uncle Tom, Obama has no backbone to keep his promises, I would respect him more if he would show some strength and character and respect for those who voted for him. He was not my first choice in the first place, but I had hope that he would be a leader, he is a failed leader. Nor worthy of re election.

December 7, 2010 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  21. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ freda
    Right On!!
    I've had my doubts about a lot of these Democraps myself. And you're absolutely correct, the Rethugs have made no bones about what their objective has always been from day one of Obama's presidency: to see him fail. And if he takes the country down the toilet with him, they're okay with that type of collateral damage. I too believe they have Democrats helping them accomplish their nefarious goal.
    This is indeed the time to either support the President or come clean and switch Parties.

December 7, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  22. Sniffit

"You see this hate filled class warfare tactic that the DemocRAT Socialists just LOVE to engage in is just THEIR insanity and not shared by most others. Sometime these dopes have reality intrude on their drug induced fantasy version of the way the world works."

Please. Here's a clue for you: YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO BE ONE OF THE INSANELY RICH TURDS THAT YUO PROTECT IN THE HOPES THAT SOMEDAY YOU WILL BE ONE OF THEM.

As for class warfare, NOBODY KNOWS WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. What you are hearing is justifiable outrage that for the past several decades the rich have gotten richer while the poor got poorer. The "CLASS WARFARE" certainly exists...and THE MIDDLE-CLASS HAS ALREADY LOST. It's just a matter of time before the middle-class no longer exists in this country if we keep allowing the GOP to convince people to apply the same-old same-old debunked ideological policies to our economic decision making. I'll tell you what though: the only solace many of us take in all this is taht once the extremely wealthy and corporate interests reduce America to two classes....themselves and their indentured servants...the REAL fun begins. WHo will be the next Roberspierre? I dunno. But he's coming...I guarantee it.

December 7, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  23. CTinDC

stufit you need to stuffit. you make no sense whatsoever. Here is a president who is giving you a tax cut and you are STILL complaining about socialism. God Bless america.. we need it with people like you in this country.

December 7, 2010 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  24. CTinDC

doxiesf. your racist comment has no merit and only shows your inability to look beyond and ahead.

December 7, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  25. Lori in St Pete

moderate voter

-------------
    I've always liked President Obama – I voted for him – and I still like him. However, I've lost all respect for him over the last 22 months because he's thrown us (those of us who voted for him) under the bus in an effort to make nice with the rethugs. He doesn't get it – they don't like him and they never will, and it's sad in a pathetic way watching him pander to them and try to win their approval to no avail. It's like the middle school kid who wants so desperately to be liked by the "cool kids" (who BTW usually end up in jail or worse by the time they're 25) that he's willing to be the butt of their jokes on the off chance this might be the day they invite him to hang with them. The dems need to run someone else in 2012 or I'm voting third party.

December 7, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |