Huckabee in no hurry to announce
December 7th, 2010

Huckabee in no hurry to announce

Sarasota, Florida (CNN) – Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee may wait until the second half of 2011 to announce whether he will make another run for president.

"That would be more likely. It certainly won't be the first three or four months," Huckabee said at a news conference following a book signing in Florida.

Huckabee is the latest potential GOP contender to muse publicly about a later entry into the presidential race. Just this week, another possible candidate, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum indicated he was awaiting a decision from party heavyweight Sarah Palin before taking the plunge.

One of several potential GOP contenders on the payroll at FOX News, Huckabee recently complained he doesn't generate as much presidential buzz as the former Alaska governor.

Huckabee told Politico: "I'm never going to be breaking news because I made a comment on Twitter or Facebook," an obvious reference to Palin, another FOX contributor who's use of social media can whip up a news frenzy.

Another contrast is Huckabee's handling of the press. At Palin book signings, reporters who ask questions risk getting tossed out of her events. See her event in Iowa last week.

Promoting his latest book Tuesday in Sarasota, Huckabee was much more accommodating to the news media, fielding questions from reporters for nearly half an hour.

He declined a one-on-one interview with CNN citing his contractual obligations with FOX.

Asked why so many potential White House challengers are employed by Fox, the Huckabee humor was on full display. "We all needed jobs. In the time of high unemployment, we did not want to become yet another statistic," Huckabee joked.

"I probably speak to more Republican voters at Fox News than on any other forum," he added more seriously.

Huckabee's softer touch was also back. Proposing that the upcoming GOP nomination contest not become a "demolition derby," Huckabee said he didn't question Palin's decision to resign as governor of Alaska - something Mitt Romney did last week.

"I'm not gonna second guess Sarah Palin's decision because I wasn't in her shoes," Huckabee said. "I don't consider her an opponent. I consider her a colleague," he added.

Filed under: 2012 • Mike Huckabee
  1. S. In California

Until he made the nasty classless remark about our president being shot he had me fooled. While I would never vote republican, I at least liked him. There is nothing you can EVER say again that would make me change my opinion. Get lost!

December 7, 2010 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  2. GonzoinHouston

Gimme a break! Mike Huckabee has been running for the 2012 nomination since five minutes after he (finally) conceded in '08. Same as Romney. They aren't fooling anyone with this coy act. The FAKES NEWS contracts allow him and Sarah and Newt to hide like cowards from the mainstream media they fears so much. Romney just buys his own coverage.

December 7, 2010 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  3. 8 Years of "Trickle Down" economics has only left a dribbling wet spot on working Americans's shoes!

The Huckster is bi-polar, first he whines because no one listens to what he says, then when he gets the attention he craved and whined about, he has nothing to say.

December 7, 2010 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  4. fmjk

If Huckabee wants to beat Palin, he needs to do it by drawing comparisons between his record of actually governing and her quitting to become a TV star, etc. He is not going to get anywhere whining about how much attention she gets. Maybe he can garner some attention by making substantive statements about substantive topics, and pointing out that she is incapable of doing the same. But he needs to go after her so that she does not become the de facto nominee.

December 7, 2010 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  5. Patrick Lewis

Of course he won't announce. He gets PAID to campaign against Obama right now!

December 7, 2010 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  6. Squigman

It's good that he's in no hurry. I doubt the country is in any hurry to vote for him. I'm more inclined to be in a hurry for him to go away, and stay quiet for a while.

December 7, 2010 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  7. peachiebeachbum

Mike Huckabee, Dont let Palin coverage deter you from running. Huckabee is a well educated and diplomatic politician, and I would much rather see him on the republican ticket than Sarah Palin.

December 7, 2010 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  8. Jay

Because as soon as he announces he has to give up the Fox gig. Glad to see this guy is honest and not taking an unfair media advantage by milking the free publicity on a media organization labeling itself as "Fair and Balanced".

Er, wait?

December 7, 2010 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  9. GDB

And Mike, you're not breaking news because let's face it, all you do is lecture us like you were still at the preachers pulpit. Just make it plain, you're too old & unelectable to run again. Let's get some new GOP blood into the mix (no, not you either Newtster).

December 8, 2010 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  10. Doug NYC GOP

CNN - lousy research or editorial spin? Mitt Romney DID NOT "second guess" Sarah Palin's decision to resign the Govrnorship. He was asked a direct question about whether HE would quit. He said she had her reasons and added he wouldn't be one to say anything negative abut her.

To suggest otherwise as you do in the second to last paragraph is either laxy reporting or intentional pot stirring. You should re-write that passage for the sake of your own integrity

December 8, 2010 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  11. vendella

...and I'm in no hurry to vote for him.

December 8, 2010 03:54 am at 3:54 am |
  12. jules sand-perkins

Good. He should not announce.
    We don't need a Southern preacher for president: they bring too much baggage from lies originating in the backward use of religion for the wrong purposes–even the ones like Huckabee who have learned to crack jokes every now and then to perk up Sunday dinner on the grounds.

December 8, 2010 06:23 am at 6:23 am |
  13. martin

I'm in no hurry either. lots of xmas shopping to do, then I got to shovel the driveway and take some cookies over to the neighbor lady, maybe then I'll announce my candidacy for prez.

December 8, 2010 06:37 am at 6:37 am |