Elizabeth Edwards to be buried next to son
December 8th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards to be buried next to son

Chapel Hill, North Carolina (CNN) - A funeral for Elizabeth Edwards will be held on Saturday in Raleigh, North Carolina at 1 p.m. ET.

A representative for the Brown-Wynne Funeral Homes told CNN it will be held at the Edenton Street United Methodist Church in Raleigh, where the Edwards family worshipped.

Edwards will then be buried at the Historic Oakwood Cemetery, also in Raleigh, according to office manager Sharon Freed. Freed also told CNN about the proximity of Edwards' burial to her son Wade – also buried there after dying in a 1996 car crash.

"He is already interred there in a space. And she will be interred there beside him," Freed said.

Representatives for the Edwards family, who are providing reporters information about funeral services, would not confirm what the Brown-Wynne Funeral Homes and the Historic Oakwood Cemetery told CNN.

The Edwards reps stress that details are being worked out and that major decisions remain - so they are not ready to publicly release them.

Representatives tell CNN they will publicly release fuller details later Wednesday.

A memorial website is now online as a tribute to Edwards.

It states: "In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Wade Edwards Foundation which benefits the Wade Edwards Learning Lab."

The website states that the learning lab is a computer and learning center in Raleigh that provides services free of charge.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. Peter s

God loved you more Elizabeth! may you find a peace on his right hand!! RIP

December 8, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. DIANA

RIP Elizabeth.

December 8, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  3. NameDebbie Jo alexander

She was a wonderful brave woman who I have much respect for.

December 8, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  4. Name100% ETH

Let God bless her soul.

After all, I don't know if the new American generations could challenge the World by leading America on the World stages like the old generation of America.

As we all know, most of the American Great Heroes keep passing away. Do we have a substitutions/new good generations at the moment???? God knows.

December 8, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  5. Rhona Samuel

I have admired your courage during your illness and it is wonderful that you were surrounded by family and close friends as your last days came to an enbd. May you rest in peace and God's blessings. Rhona.

December 8, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  6. Marie

Elizabeth Edwards was like the Mother to me that I never had. I never met Elizabeth, but my heart & soul met her, & in the end these are our attributes that really matter & are eternal. Her wonderful children, Wade, Cate, Emma Claire & Jack know how lucky they are to have had this spectacular human being as a Mother. I wrote her a note once & she actually wrote me back! How many famous people do that? I was a volunteer for the 2004 campaign, & just thought the world of Elizabeth. She was the Queen Of The Universe to us volunteers. She was always chatting with us online & such a real human being. I am still in shock over the loss of Elizabeth, but if we all think of the gain of such a one as her on this planet & in our lives, then in time we can reconcile our immense grief. My condolences to John, Cate, Emma Claire, Jack & Elizabeth’s Family & Friends. Elizabeth was & is a Mother & Friend to the World. God Bless.

December 8, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  7. ccenger

very sad- i didn't know her, but from what i've read of her, she was a good woman and very brave
    as someone who has lost a loved one to cancer, my condolences go out to the family

December 8, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |