Details being mapped out for likely Saturday funeral for Elizabeth Edwards
December 8th, 2010

Details being mapped out for likely Saturday funeral for Elizabeth Edwards

Chapel Hill, North Carolina (CNN) - Family and trusted friends are huddled together planning details for Elizabeth Edwards' funeral.

One of them tells CNN the service will be in Chapel Hill, likely on Saturday. The close and trusted family friend said that the estranged wife of 2008 presidential candidate John Edwards mapped out a lot of the details before her passing.

Edwards died on Tuesday after a prolonged battle with breast cancer. She was 61 years old.

John Moylan worked with both Edwards in the husband's White House bids in 2004, as a vice presidential nominee, and in 2008. Amid the Edwards' brushes with success – and scandal – Moylan remained close with the family.

In talking to CNN about a likely Saturday funeral, Moylan stressed there were not yet firm details. He also said it's not yet certain whether any reporters, including a TV crew, would be allowed inside the service.

Moylan was not inside the family home at the exact time of Elizabeth Edwards' passing. He was there shortly after. He described to CNN the mood in the house.

"I think there's understandable sadness over Elizabeth's death. But I think it was a remarkable display of strength," Moylan said.

"Elizabeth did a great job in preparing her children and her family for this day."

Moylan also said that the Edwards' two young children, Jack and Emma Claire, were sent to school on Tuesday morning - before their mother's passing - to maintain a sense of normalcy. Upon her death, the news was kept private among family members until the children returned from school. After the children were informed, a public statement was released.

The couple had two other children: Cate, an adult, and Wade, who died in 1996 in a car accident.

Moylan said a photo of Wade was at Elizabeth Edwards' bedside when she passed. Though Moylan said it had long been there.

John Edwards was there in the final moments of his wife's life.

Moylan explained to CNN that the former presidential candidate is dealing with the loss – and what his focus is going forward.

"John is focusing all of his energy and attention on the children. Which I think is the appropriate thing for him to be doing," Moylan said.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. nena

My prayers go to the family. May the memory of their mother be with them at times of saddness and at times of happiness. She was a strong motivator. May she rest in peace.

December 8, 2010 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  2. Dave

my thoughts and prayers are with the family. She was a women of grace and stregnth

December 8, 2010 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  3. DIANA

RIP Elizabeth. May God help your family in this time.

December 8, 2010 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  4. NC

I want to express my sympathy to the Edward's family, friends and the community. May God Bless all of you.

December 8, 2010 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  5. Clinker

Many have danced this dance called life, but few with her style and grace. Rest easy, Elizabeth. You are love.

December 8, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  6. beth

My thoughts and prayers go out to Elizabeth's family. May she rest in peace.

December 8, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  7. SBellow

I want to express my heartfelt sympathy for the Edwards' family. I am glad I took the time to read her inspiring books; it made me feel like I knew her. I believe she was a Christian and I am at peace that she is now HEALED. May God Bless you all!

December 8, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  8. Fed Up

May God bless Elizabeth and her children. She was a classy lady, and a fighter. May you rest in peace, Elizabeth. You have already met your son again.

December 8, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  9. RT

Have never admired anyone like I admire Elizabeth, my sympathy goes to John and the kids, she was a very strong woman and I know she will be missed terribly, I pray John continues raising those kids as she would want him, no matter what all that went on in their "private life" she loves him dearly. Again I am so sorry for all your loss. Elizabeth you will be forever loved!

December 8, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |