9/11 responders bill defeated by Senate GOP filibuster
December 9th, 2010

9/11 responders bill defeated by Senate GOP filibuster

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Senate Democrats failed Thursday to win a procedural vote to open debate on a bill that would provide medical benefits and compensation for emergency workers who were first on the scene of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The motion for cloture, or to begin debate, needed 60 votes to pass due
to a Republican filibuster, but fell short at 57-42 in favor.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 9/11 • Senate
  1. NameCheryl Davidson

Are they waiting for everyone adversly affected by Ground Zero to die before they pass legislation to help them? So typical, just like me applying for SSDisability 5 times before I got it. Now I'm much worse and have cancer, again and we get no COLA for 2 years straight! This in-fighting in Washington is killing us!

December 9, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  2. Clark Wilhelm Griswald

Patriotism: to a right-winger, it means caring only about your own wallet and to hell with everyone else. And hating everyone who doesn't agree with you. And hating Muslims, Mexican immigrants, African Americans, and oh so many others.

December 9, 2010 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  3. The GOP are evil

Wake up, America! The GOP are evil!

December 9, 2010 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  4. GuyinVA

The democrats are right on this one. I was there. I know what the horror of that day was like, and I know how the work there has affected some responders.

December 9, 2010 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  5. Edward

Well, you can all thank the midterm republican voters and the GOP's motto "revenge is best served up cold".

December 9, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  6. The Big J

How could anyone with a heart or soul let this happen? Are we electing humans or money hungry MONSTERS?????

December 9, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  7. T'sah from Virginia

Here we go – I guess this failed too because of the NO COMPROMISE – NO DEAL the RepubliCAN'Ts chanted all during the 2010 campaign!!

December 9, 2010 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  8. Grow up already...

I wish I could say I'm surprised... hardly! These folks aren't rich enough to sway a GOPer.

December 9, 2010 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  9. Disgusted in Texas

Now I'm VERY angry. I intensely dislike the Republicans more and more every day. Where is your "Trending" reporting
    on their desire to practically re-write the Constitution? The very ones campaigning on "living up to the Constitution of
    the United States" now want to scrap the 17th Amendment, repeal the 16th Amendment, delete part of the 14th
    Amendment, and reinstate (which was never removed) the "original 13th Amendment"? Rob Bishop, R-Utah has
    introduced a constitutional amendment that would allow a "group of States to nullify federal laws that they
    disagree with". So, for God's sake (literally) I don't give two hoots about where Palin is going. Two peas in a pod
    as far as I am concerned. Franklin is no Billy, and she is no President. So, Ticker, I know you will not allow
    this to pass your "courteous discussion" rules – but please GIVE IT A REST! Hate her? No. Want her anywhere
    near the "red phone" – He** NO! Thank you.

December 9, 2010 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  10. LGNY

I hope this is just a bargaining position..... as in "no deals until the tax break extension passes".

It's obscene that they will refuse to help those how risked their health to respond to 9.11

December 9, 2010 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  11. Chris Willett

UNCONSCIONABLE! After invoking 9/11 at every opportunity to secure political gain, Republicans have denied health aid to 9/11 rescue workers. They claim the bill's price tag – $7.4 billion – will break the budget, just days after extending the Bush tax cuts (which provide 25% of their total benefits to the top 1%) at a cost of $900 billion!

December 10, 2010 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  12. u2canfail

Is that right? Were you not out protesting the building of a Mosque, as disrespecting the victims? So, let me get this right. A mosque is disrespectful, but NOT paying for medical benefits for the responders is "honoring" their service? YUP, it is GOP thinking. Health care is stupid, but being prejudiced is great!

December 10, 2010 05:59 am at 5:59 am |
  13. Albo58

While the 911 responders performed magnificently during that crisis, I can't for the life of me figure out why New York feels that the American taxpayers owe them free medical care. I'm pretty darn sure that these people have insurance because the majority of them are Union workers. Furthermore, I strongly believe that the precedent of paying surviving families with American tax dollars has led to this fraudulent idea. I'm pretty sure if folks were working in the towers, they too had life insurance. Thus, voting this legislation down was absolutely the right thing to do!

December 10, 2010 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  14. Chris

Again, the Repbulicans show that if you are not rich, then they don't care about you.

Republicans – we only help those who already can help themselves.

December 10, 2010 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  15. Dave

So the cost of providing funding for the heros of 9/11 is too high, but it's okay to extend tax breaks to billionaires? These Senate Republicans are truly the scum of the earth.

December 10, 2010 06:34 am at 6:34 am |
  16. Tom

That's your Republicans at work!!!!!! Aren't you glad you voted them in again? No 911 responders help, No unemployment extension for all unemployed people, No tax cuts for the rich, No economy!!!!!!

December 10, 2010 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  17. Name king

These repugs are going buck wild just to give the rich a tax money they don't need. When will they learn that after 10 years these cuts failed to move the country in the right direction. Two more years won't make a difference, but it's a shame that nothing else matters but to satisfy their rich friends that destroy their opponents, with billions of dollars convincing these simple minded Americans, to vote against their own interest.

December 10, 2010 07:19 am at 7:19 am |