Trump 'really thinking' about prez bid
December 9th, 2010

Trump 'really thinking' about prez bid

(CNN) – Let’s get one thing straight: Donald Trump doesn’t want to run for president. Honestly, he doesn’t. Not interested.

But because the country is in such dire straits, he says, the business tycoon and perennial publicity hound just might have no choice. The country needs him.

“For the first time really would think about it. And I am thinking about it. It doesn’t mean I want to do it. I’d prefer not doing it. I’m having a lot of fun doing what I’m doing. It’s a great time to be buying things. I’m buying a lot of things and really having a good time,” Trump told Joy Behar Wednesday on HLN, CNN’s sister network.

“But I hate - you know, I’m very proud of this country. I’m very proud to be an American. And frankly, I hate what I’m seeing. I hate that friends of mine from Europe, from Asia, from all over the world - they’re telling me stories about this country,” the reality television host lamented.

Trump said President Obama particularly embarrassed America when he traveled to Copenhagen a year ago in a failed last-minute bid to secure the 2016 summer Olympics for Chicago.

“Our President flies over to see if he can get the bid. Now, he then comes back. We don’t end up not only in first place. We don’t end up in second place or third place. We were in fourth place,” said Trump.
 “Now, for the president of this great country to fly over there, he has to be given a wink. Like, come over, we’d love to have you. And you’re going to get it. I mean, do you know how bad we looked?”

Ultimately, it all comes down to respect for Trump:

“That shouldn’t be happening to this country. People are not respecting us. They are not respecting this country. And I hate to see it.”

Trump said earlier this year he will decide on a presidential run by June.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. Tom

People don't respect us because of people like Trump. Big mouths, no qualifications. Guy got rich on daddy's money and got lucky after having to rely on society to pick up for his bankruptcies. Yeah, that's the kind of guy I want running my country.

December 9, 2010 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  2. Bob

What a thought provoking, coherent, missive from the (not so) great one. Perhaps he attended the Palin School of linguistics.

December 9, 2010 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  3. Blanche Cavada

Donald, please do run for President. While I am a registered Democrat, you will get my vote. Our country has got to be saved by someone soon. It is disgusting to see our leaders, Democrats & Republicans, giving our American Dream away. If we are the strongest nation in the world, let's show everyone!!!!!! I heard "Change" from Obama during his campaign. Now he seems to be afraid to speak up for all the people who got him elected. I was not one of those people. Please do consider serving us to turn this nation around.

December 9, 2010 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  4. Amused

Someone that knows how to run a business? He's got my vote.

December 9, 2010 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  5. sara

Why blame the current President. We were not respected long before Obama. People have such short memories. I am sorry but I could not vote for this clown.

December 9, 2010 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  6. 30 Years USAF

Oh please!!

Give me a break. No matter what our " PRESIDENT" does someone will have negativity towards it. i.e. If he didn't go to Copenhagen, they would have accused him of not being proud of America or any other negative stuff about him. I have one question for all who are on the sideline and second guessing our President: How come they don't run and become President and see how they can make a difference? After all...anyone can sit back and say they can do a better job all day.

Chief T

December 9, 2010 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  7. S Brown

Thats the best reason he can come up with to run for president? because Obama didnt secure the 2016 Olympics? too much sun getting through his comb over. The kleig lights are what draws him to run. The Trump brand wont play in Peoria. Enough said.

December 9, 2010 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  8. sharon

this pompous, arragant jerk will do anything to get his face in the news.America needs help but not from him.The nerve that he thinks he can make everything right because he is "The Donald" is as ridiculous as he is.He cannot handle any type of criticism so I can just imagine him if Kim Jong says something against him or his actions – we would have days of his face on tv bellowing please just go count your money and buy another building

December 9, 2010 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  9. DemFL

We don't need the Donald playing in politics, he's no better than anyone else. Just because he's a star on TV doesn't give him the qualities of a leader. Losing a bid for the Olympics hardly qualifies as an issue we are all concerned about, in fact probably saved us a few billion in development cost. I have no respect for Donald Trump when he has no respect for our Elected Leader.

December 9, 2010 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  10. darrell

Please go away Donald...all you can mention is the Olympic bid...thought you would at least mention how you get the GDP to grow 3.0 or better or how you can improve upon the ten straight months of growth we have been experiencing...Yes, I said ten straight months..granted unemployment is too high, but I thought you would a strategy to get your corporate friends to get off their 2 Trillion treasure and start investing in America and help create more private sector jobs...no you just want to talk about a failed Olympic bid...Donald: Your Fired!

December 9, 2010 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  11. djrr55

He does have a choice and we do not need him.

December 9, 2010 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  12. The Veteran

I believe Trump is lying through his teeth. And these friends of his are more likely rich tychoons. For one, his small circle of rich friends, if he even has any (in Europe and Asia) do not represent those countries, or even the sentiment of those countries.

Leadership is not about bravado. If it was Trump would be the best leader and the riches man in America, and he simply isn't. He makes the Forbes list, but he clearly isn't leading the pack.

I lived in Europe, and I have friends there now (so I totally disagree with his statement), and I have to say that Donald Trump is a horrible leader with a bad comb over. That's it. I don't believe he knows what integrity is. I hope he runs.

December 9, 2010 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  13. Cisco

Thats funny, does he do stand up?

December 9, 2010 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  14. Joe

Hey Donald, remember when you were bankrupt and everyone looked at you as a joke? Remember every time you are on TV, the only thing anyone can think about is whether your hair is real or fake? Remember how you are best known as a reality TV persona? I don't think you as President helps this country get respect. Maybe you and Sarah Palin can have your own show where you pretend to be presidents.

December 9, 2010 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  15. michael

Better put a team together for the house and congress without a way to be rid of the whahoos– no one man will make a different s .

December 9, 2010 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  16. Matt

And how many businesses has Trump bankrupt?

December 9, 2010 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  17. P'Cola

Mr. Trump, leadership means taking risk, not just sitting back waiting for a 'wink' to know whether or not you're liked. I like you, am a proud American and also a 21 year military vet who also loves his country. I agree, it was disappointing not to win the Olympic bid but I'm disappointed every time America competes and doesn't take 1st place. However, it doesn't mean the country is going down the tubes because we don't always take 1st place on the international scene. Its like saying if Ms USA doesn't win all the girls in Brooklyn are ugly.
    Secondly, I'm so surprise for you to say you don't like what you see so you may consider running while you sat on the sidelines for 8 years and watched Bush run the country down the drain. I think you'd do a better job staying with on the Apprentice.

December 9, 2010 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  18. Gil

This arrogant fool would fit right into the Party of No's mold for a repulsive candidate for president. Fill the field with all these right wing nuts and see the results!

December 9, 2010 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  19. Jon

"The country needs him?" Yeah. Like we need a hole in our heads.

December 9, 2010 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  20. Katz

I say go for it Trump. I have more respect for you than I do for the president. He is a loser who not only wasn't ready to be president, but he doesn't care about this country or it's natural born citizens.

December 9, 2010 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  21. chris

He wants to run because we didnt get the 2016 Olympics. Thats fine by me, as long as Trump or Palin are the Republican nominee, Obama wins 2012.

December 9, 2010 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  22. therealmarie

This man is such a bore. Who cares what he wants or thinks but he gets attention, just like anyone does, when they say or do anything against The President of the United States. It's Corporate Media's policy.

December 9, 2010 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  23. john denicola

Mr. Trump .don't do us any favors.. i mean... don't do it on our account.....
    delusions of grandeur ....

December 9, 2010 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  24. greg in Jax

First, Trump for president = ROFLMAO. Second, does he truly believe the world doesn't respect us because of President Obama instead the illegal war for oil that President Bush started. Really? I mean, really. plus Trump's international millionaire really don't have a clue about the American middle class, so their opinions mean nothing.

December 9, 2010 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  25. Squigman

It's now official, the whole country is having a nervious breakdown of monumental proportion. If the people dont pull their collective heads, out of their collective rearends we're all doomed.

December 9, 2010 09:12 am at 9:12 am |