Trump 'really thinking' about prez bid
December 9th, 2010

Trump 'really thinking' about prez bid

(CNN) – Let’s get one thing straight: Donald Trump doesn’t want to run for president. Honestly, he doesn’t. Not interested.

But because the country is in such dire straits, he says, the business tycoon and perennial publicity hound just might have no choice. The country needs him.

“For the first time really would think about it. And I am thinking about it. It doesn’t mean I want to do it. I’d prefer not doing it. I’m having a lot of fun doing what I’m doing. It’s a great time to be buying things. I’m buying a lot of things and really having a good time,” Trump told Joy Behar Wednesday on HLN, CNN’s sister network.

“But I hate - you know, I’m very proud of this country. I’m very proud to be an American. And frankly, I hate what I’m seeing. I hate that friends of mine from Europe, from Asia, from all over the world - they’re telling me stories about this country,” the reality television host lamented.

Trump said President Obama particularly embarrassed America when he traveled to Copenhagen a year ago in a failed last-minute bid to secure the 2016 summer Olympics for Chicago.

“Our President flies over to see if he can get the bid. Now, he then comes back. We don’t end up not only in first place. We don’t end up in second place or third place. We were in fourth place,” said Trump.
 “Now, for the president of this great country to fly over there, he has to be given a wink. Like, come over, we’d love to have you. And you’re going to get it. I mean, do you know how bad we looked?”

Ultimately, it all comes down to respect for Trump:

“That shouldn’t be happening to this country. People are not respecting us. They are not respecting this country. And I hate to see it.”

Trump said earlier this year he will decide on a presidential run by June.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. Al

America is in dire straits for a leader, unfortunately America does NOT have one at the present time. We definately did not have a leader when the former president was in charge. Whether it be Donald Trump, Mike Bloomberg, Mickey Mouse, our country needs someone who knows how to run a big business, Running America is a big business. The politicians who have been running this big business for years, for the most part the only thing they are capable of is RUNNING THEIR MOUTHS. They have had only one thing in mind, that is inflating their egos, and running FUND RAISERS, all of them appear to be experts at the latter. America really does need a leader , not a fund raiser.

December 9, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  2. Rick James B----

Really, so it was Obama's fault we didn't get the Olympic bid...wow; how about it was because we lost world respect because of our blunder in Iraq?? Guess that was Obama's fault too.

December 9, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  3. rusty155

Thank you but no thank you.

December 9, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  4. bcrunner

Respect takes time to build. Maybe if Bush had not disrespected the world so much and had not acted like a bully, we wouldn't be in this place to begin with. How about using the golden rule...

December 9, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  5. Anonymous

Obama – Your Fired!

December 9, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  6. Lisa - VA

REALLY...now this is funny...

December 9, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  7. Anonymous

I think obama has better things to do than make a bid for the 2016 olympics as a top priority.

December 9, 2010 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  8. fayse1

Give me a break, this man can not even manage his own personal life. Running a Corporation is not the same as running the Country. Large and multinational corporations are part of what screwed workers. Corporations care about their bottom line and their stakeholders. People are dispensable to corporations

December 9, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. Ernie

Hey Donald the best you could do is to permote business to come back to America so Americans can get jobs. You yourself said that China is doing anything it wants. You would be a better Busiess Ambassador than President. Just think Obama can't say your FIRED but your vote can FIRE him. Think about it.

December 9, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  10. Anonymous

Obama-Your Fired!

December 9, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. Realistic

Oh geez another loon in the mix. Unlike Trumps business philosophy which is, "When you spend more than you take in and can't pay your debt, file for bankruptcy protection". The USA can not file for bankruptcy protection sir Trump. Go away! America needs you, Palin said the same thing and so has many others and guess what, we don't need media trolls in the WH.

December 9, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  12. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He has been a good at and a failure at business. With that said, he doesn't know how to act when it comes to politics. He can't fire members of Congress or have them arrested either. It is the same problem that I have with any other business person that tries to run for office. There is a temperment issue that they can't get over. Look at Christie in NJ; he was a prosecutor and hasn't changed his mindset. It is still his way or the highway in much of what he does and it is getting old fast.

December 9, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  13. Granny Griper

This goof ball has no business running for president, if I remember correctly he has bankrupted himself several times.
    That really sounds like good credientails for a president. He is nothing but one of the rich elitist that knows nothing about anything just thinks he does

December 9, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  14. KatR

This great country does not need a president who, during the worst recession in decades, is having lots of fun buying things. You sir, belong to the elite group that drove the America's economy into a ditch.

December 9, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  15. Skokie Il

Donald please stay out of this. You should be happy you will be getting your tax cut.

December 9, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  16. Rich

if only politics where that easy

December 9, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  17. MAhole

To The Donald,
    We need you like we need another hole in the head. How can someone as dumb as you seem to be get so rich?? You have made some pretty bad decisions in your day – look at the debacle in Atlantic City for one.
    I guess you think that beacuse you have a so-called "reality show" on TV like Silly Sarah does that must qualify you to run for president. Don't bother.............

December 9, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  18. DemFL

P.S. You're FIRED!!

December 9, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  19. Megan

Yeah, that's the real problem facing this country–the fact that we didn't get the Olympics. People hungry, losing their homes, bankers raking it in despite causing a major depression, nobody facing any prosecution for misdeeds that caused hundreds of thousands of deaths in Iraq, and Trump concentrates on our losing face over the Olympics. We're doomed.

December 9, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  20. larry

the country needs him to get rid of that combover....not to be president

December 9, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  21. J Smith

I would love to see Trump run for office.....just love it... I bet he may even get my vote from what Ive heard him say.

December 9, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  22. Come on Trump

Come on Trump, they weren't respecting the US for the 8 years before Obama's presidency. Where were you then?

December 9, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  23. Fred

Go for it Donald. I would vote for you...... I agree 100% on what you said.

December 9, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  24. Steve

Has Trump joined the billionaires pledge list yet????
    Do we really need a president who condones (and owns) the Miss USA pageant?? I don't think so.......and neither should most of the women in this country.

December 9, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  25. RG

I'm not so sure other countries disrespect us for Obama's actions, but more for the US war efforts.

December 9, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |