Westboro Baptist Church says it will picket Elizabeth Edwards' funeral
December 9th, 2010

Westboro Baptist Church says it will picket Elizabeth Edwards' funeral

(CNN) - Members of the Westboro Baptist Church announced Thursday plans to picket Saturday's funeral for Elizabeth Edwards in Raleigh, North Carolina.

The Kansas-based Church - monitored by anti-hate groups such as the Anti-Defamation league and the Southern Poverty Law Center - is known for its extremist opposition to homosexuals, Jews and other groups.

The church members also oppose the War in Iraq.

According to the church's website, members will hold a protest from 12:15 p.m. to 1 p.m.

Edwards, the estranged wife of presidential candidate John Edwards, died Tuesday after a six-year battle with breast cancer.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. jpmichigan

Westboro church has the nerve to call themselves, Christians. We should all prayer for them, for they know not what harm they do.

December 9, 2010 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  2. Lonnie

As a Christian I am appalled and angered by this groups activities. Under no circumstance is this a Christian act nor Biblical in any way. These people are using religion as a way to push hate and are not a mirror of what Christians are called to do and be. My condolences the the Edwards family.

December 9, 2010 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  3. Mildred H.

How disrespectful is that going to be! I understand freedom of speech but come on this lady is being laid to rest...her entire family and friends are mourning and your going to protest so you can be on the news!

December 9, 2010 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  4. JJ's MOM

Why in Heaven's name would this group protest/picket, this is sick, who do these people think they are!?!? My sympathies go out to the Edward's family, may she rest in peace and they find so solace in the fact that Elizabeth was a strong and brave woman.

December 9, 2010 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  5. soxphan

These people have no shame.

December 9, 2010 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  6. Adalbert

Thanks to organized religion and to their fanatic followers we have killed and injured millions of people through out the world. And now, the hate and the killing promoted by these religious lunatics continues.
    By now it should be obvious to most intelligent people that the world would be far better of without these mindless religious fanatics of any kind.

December 9, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  7. GuestColin

These people need to crawl back under the rock from whence they came. I am so tempted to drive up there to distract them. I'm all for free speech, but I think just about everyone has had enough of these idiots.

December 9, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  8. Mel

How is this still legal? Seriously, why hasn't someone burned this church down? This is not what God stands for... in any religion.

December 9, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  9. Huh?

What the hell are they protesting Elizabeth Edwards for?!?!?! Why don't those scumbags let the family mourn in peace.

December 9, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  10. MKF

So what's their beef with Elizabeth Edwards that they need to protest – most disrespsectfully – at her funeral?

December 9, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  11. sleepneagle

I just lost a wonderful woman to a 2 year cancer battle. we had a life long love afair and were best friends. 30 days before her passing we lost our youngest son. So she had her trials. She was always up beat and cared about others. I can appreciate the loss of the Edwards Family. I don't understand the purpose of westboro church in picketing her funeral much less those of our fallen military. I guess that is what happens when you don't have a life or anything better to do. If there is nayway that I can be there to run interference against westboro, I will be there in respect for Mrs. Edwards in honoring my wife.

December 9, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  12. Randall

That "church" is just a bunch of weird loosers.

December 9, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  13. Compass

WBC is doing great at making themselves more and more unpopular.

December 9, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  14. Paul

Enough is enough! Law enforcement and congress need to restrain this hate group. Their church status should be revoked at the very least.

December 9, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  15. Nialeeshi

What are they protesting against??? or for??? Frankly? Was she part of that church??? I really don't understand why... Sometimes it will just be nice not to quote the name of the organization so they don't get the media coverage they are hoping for!

December 9, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  16. Marcus

Let's see, a bunch of absolute weirdos that have a thirst for attention and were not receiving media coverage lately...
    And there's no law preventing them to be that disrespectful?

December 9, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  17. Don

Truely, these people have no souls or conscience.

December 9, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  18. John

Come on, What has Mrs. Edwards done to your chuch. This is a good women let her and her family have some peace in their time of sorrow.

December 9, 2010 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  19. Jim

Too bad we can't protest at Fred Phelps' funeral

December 9, 2010 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  20. sparknut

Let's see if the Westboro idiots can appear even more stupid. Apparently they can.

December 9, 2010 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  21. Eric Raines

My only joy in this is the knowledge that these "Christians" will one day have to meet their maker and answer for the grief they brought to grieving families. I wish I could be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

December 9, 2010 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  22. Kip Sinclair

Those "Christians" will be shoveling coal in Hell.

December 9, 2010 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  23. Brainwashed by GOP

These hate groups should be stopped!

December 9, 2010 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  24. Anna

So why are they picketing? Was she Jewish? Was she a homosexual? Was she fighitng in the war?

Get a life...
    I mean really picketing at a funeral? What does this prove or do, besides showing what complete losers every member of that church is.

I hope they know they're going to Hell, right where they belong

December 9, 2010 09:53 am at 9:53 am |