Clinton backs tax deal
December 10th, 2010

Clinton backs tax deal

Washignton (CNN)–After meeting Friday with President Barack Obama, former President Bill Clinton told reporters he supported the tax and benefits package negotiated with Republicans because "I don't believe is a better deal out there."

Filed under: President Clinton • President Obama • Tax deal
  1. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I think it is time for the ultra left to shut up and start going after those right wingnuts who have obstructed government the last two years. Congress and the senate did not have the balls to deal with with the tax cuts last summer, and left the president only three weeks to get the job done. Then, they said they did not like the agreement, and attacked the president for their own failure. Time to stop being stupid and start going after the GOP Baggers instead.

December 10, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  2. Marty, FL

I tend to agree with a temporary extension, but there should be reasonable compromises that the GOP is willing to make for the majority of Americans first–repeal DADT, ratify START, pass the Dream Act, and the 9/11 Responders Bill.

December 10, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  3. Jayden,FL

Seeing President Clinton speak at the podium brings back so many good memories from the 90s... I wish wish wish President Clinton could run again for President but he can :(

PS- When Obama left the conference i thought it was funny.. lol

December 10, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. stufit

"I did not have sex,ual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinksy" Famous Clinton line, later proven and admitted to be a lie. Why would even a democrat liberal consider him any kind of authority?

December 10, 2010 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  5. Wire Palladin, S. F.

stufit. . . when Bush lied thousands died.

December 10, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  6. Jayden,FL

I meant can't-

December 10, 2010 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. Richard M. Humphreys

Don't often write about these things. I respect Borger, Gergen, et al but the commentary on stagecraft and the pluses and minuses of leaving CPOTUS on the podium missed the central perspective-that of the average american watching the ex president. Bill was masterful in explaining to "Janet Busdriver" why the tax deal was good for her and I think that message got through. Bill demonstrated a casual mastery of critical supportive facts and equally important....he made the case in an easy fireside chat manner. A coup for Barack with the American people

December 10, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  8. OBAMA-2010

@ Marty, FL–I completely agree with your point regarding the reasonable compromise. I totally support President Obama's position regarding the tax cut issue. It is not the best deal; however, it does give the American people another couple of years to get their act together. It's not enought that the GOP is making a case of victory in this matter, but for the Democrats to scoff at the President; that is totally disrespectful!! I am a currently a moderate conservative democrat, but the more I read and think and the issues of concern, the more I see the need to move from the democratic party and transistion as an independent. I don't like the tactics being played by the GOP nor the Democrats for that matter.

December 10, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  9. once upon a horse

BUBBA HAS SPOKEN!! now it's time to move on.

December 10, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  10. Albo58

Well, if a perjury-convicted rapist thinks it's a good idea, then what's the point in discussing it further? Geez, the Dimwits must have been salivating to see the current and former POTUS at the same podium...pathetic!

December 10, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. GonzoinHouston

There's a much better deal out there. Let the tax cuts expire, then wait 3 months before you start talking. By that the point the GOP will give Obama absolutely anything and everything he ever wanted. The GOP's main interest is the rich, and their main interest is not paying taxes. The original Bush tax cuts were hugely tilted for the rich. Once the tax cuts expire, the middle class will discover that their taxes have gone up very little but the rich are getting hit hard. The pressure on the GOP will be huge, and that's when you want to negotiate.

December 10, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  12. Sniffit

Keep it up GOPers and corporatocrats....you think the mild "hacking" that occurred with respect to Assange's arrest was bad? HAHAHAHA...just wait until the mouse roars.

December 10, 2010 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  13. Lola

@ Liberated Liberal,
    Looks like Wire Palladin is from SF...self-explanatory.

December 10, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ OBAMA 2010

I wholeheartedly concur with you, on all your well-stated points.

December 10, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  15. Sniffit

Dear Bubba:

There is a third option for a better deal, and it's rapidly approaching go time. The Teatards will look like wet kittens in comparison to the waking of the sleeping giant.

Yours Truly,

Robespierre

December 10, 2010 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Liberated Liberal

I think the President finally admitted he can't do anything anymore. Please put Bill in charge!
    -------------------------------------------------–
    I take it then that you've never discussed an idea or a proposal you've had with someone who may have relevant experience in your endeavor? I suppose then that it would be beneath you to seek counsel when needed, advice when necessary, or just an "ear" to bounce your ideas to? I congratulate you for being an "island".

Our President is a man, a leader, and concerned enough about ensuring that those that just "refuse to get it" for x or y reason at least have been given every available 'medium'/opportunity from whatever sources to UNDERSTAND what they think they should reject off-hand. I was one of those people. And if that means utilizing Bubba and his soft-spoken easy-going, you-know-me, I look like you approach, then so be it.

Our President is a brilliant and caring man. And quite frankly this country does not deserve his extraordinary and unappreciated efforts.

Obama 2012.

December 10, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  17. Four and The Door

This tax deal is going to pass. And then it is going to work. And who gets credit? Who cares? It will work and then we all benefit. ( But one thing's for sure. A recovering economy will certainly be good for Obama either way ).

December 10, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  18. Marcus

Albo58 – Perjury convicted rapist? WHERE dude? For the perjury part, fine. For the convicted part (you mean the impeachment by all those liars and hypocrites that dare to pose as moral examples even today?), fine. But... rapist?
    You don't like him, alright, but you know that accuse someone of a crime that he/she did not commit is a crime in itself, don't you?
    Sore loser...

December 10, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  19. ONCE UPON A HORSE

Vitter, Newt, Sanford, Craig..@ Stufit we REALLY don't want to get into a character issue here now DO WE???

December 10, 2010 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. T'sah from Virginia

@Marty FL

AGREE – and also get a few more "tidbits" – I mean, it would NEVER add up to what the RICH are getting.

December 10, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |