Bill Clinton offers Big Apple prize to pay Hillary's campaign debt
December 14th, 2010

Bill Clinton offers Big Apple prize to pay Hillary's campaign debt

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential bid may have ended over two years ago, but one enduring aspect of her campaign remains: the debt.

In an effort to help pay down his wife's remaining campaign debt, former President Bill Clinton is once again lending a hand to bring in donations.

Specifically, he is offering campaign donors the chance to win a day in New York City with him.

"Hillary's campaign is so close to paying off the last of her debt, but she's not there yet." Clinton writes in an email to supporters. "Will you consider helping her in this last phase by making a contribution to her campaign? If you enter by Thursday, December 16, you and a friend will have the chance to fly to New York to spend a day with me."

According to the Federal Election Commission, as of September 2010, Hillary Clinton's campaign debt was $479,010.00, and cash-on-hand was $391,254.86. The next update on Clinton's debt will be released on January 31, 2011.

A federal law known as the "Hatch Act" prohibits Secretary Clinton and other federal government employees from personally soliciting or accepting political contributions. The law does allow others to raise funds on Clinton's behalf, without her direct involvement.

–CNN Political Research Director Robert Yoon and Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash contributed to this report.

1. Fair is Fair

Sorry, Bubba... I wouldn't donate a wooden nickle to spend the day with you.

December 14, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  2. marie smith

I so agree. Not only would I not donate a dime, I would not walk across the street to see you or Hillary

December 14, 2010 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. Elliott

Amazing. Only in this country can a couple of millionaires ask the regular working people to help pay for the mess that they created. Simply amazing....

December 14, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  4. Keith

Fair is Fair & Marie: I would imagine you would walk through fire to see Sarah though... Go figure

December 14, 2010 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  5. Democrats Class Warfare - Destroying the economy and country

I hear Obozo is the odds on favorite to take this prize. He needs all the lessons he can get from Bill Clinton on how to actually be a real President and LEAD the country. Just a few hours with him at the Whitehouse wasn't enough to get the job done.

December 14, 2010 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. Ken in NC

@Elloit............ I agree totally with you. I would not lift a finger to help G. Bush pay for a darn thing after the way he and "Dick" screwed up our country and economy.

December 14, 2010 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  7. Rick McDaniel

Better get that taken care of, as you have only 2 yrs. left, before she retires.

December 14, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  8. NameSimone

Good deal to spend a day talking with Bill.
    Plus helping Hill at the same time is a win win. Both are very interesting and smart people.

December 14, 2010 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  9. Mad man

Please America, donate your hard earned non-tax deductible donations to help poor Hillary and Bill payoff Hillary's failed Presidential run campaign debt. It would just be unconscionable to think that Bill would have to dip into his private blood money stash of selling America's jobs to the Chinese and Mexicans, please give and then give some more! Nothing is too much to ask for the man that balanced our budget, of course a Republican Congress had nothing to do with it...

December 14, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  10. Rsprings

Bill could give one years retirement pay and payoff the debt. Maybe Babs could do a benefit and invite the Hollywood crowd to payoff the debt.

December 14, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  11. Peter E

So... if a poor person accumulates tens of thousands of dollars in debt, his house is taken away, his car is repossessed, and perhaps he is thrown in jail. If a millionaire accumulates millions in debt... we allow them to just keep defering the payment indefinitely?

December 14, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  12. Limbaugh is a liberal

Give her a tax cut! Her campaign created lots of jobs! (at least that's the republican theory on why rich people deserve tax cuts)

December 14, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  13. bill

I am going to give money, I would love to meet both of them..

December 14, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  14. Henry Miller, Libertarian

What's next? Bill lobbying to be the token Old-Guy on next season's Dancing With The Stars?

December 14, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  15. John

They are acting like they are poor or something. They are only $110k short, so why don't they just pay it off with their own money? I'm sure they have that much lying around the house. Why would anyone donate to such a rich couple anyway.

December 14, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. Phil Whitehead

The phrase is "The height of arrogance". To ask people to pay for what she rang up in bills is beyond my ability to adequately put into words. What really stumps me though, are the folks who already HAVE...
    Did your parents fail you somehow? Are you not aware that people are responsible for their OWN actions and expenses? Oh...I forgot...we ARE talking about a Democratic candidate who believes in sharing wealth. That's right...now I understand why Obama is using this method in his White House plan. WE should fork out OUR money to make sure OTHER people get THEIR bills paid. WAIT A MINUTE...wasn't that supposed to be POOR PEOPLE??? So, how is it that millionaires are in need of our money to pay their bills?? Were they there when I needed money when my father passed away, or when my daughter's car broke down? I got no call from Bill on those issues. Maybe he'd like to come to Arizona to spend a day with me and find out what it's like to continue to try and provide support for four struggling adult children while on a pension and still having to WORK for a living. Any takers in the Clinton family??? I didn't think so. You people are beyond pathetic...

December 14, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  17. Laverne

Is she not allowed to pay off her debt with her own personal money?

December 14, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  18. Raymont Chambers

At least he is not crying like the new House Speaker! Boo Hoo Hoo! Boo Hoo Hoo!! Shame on Ohio for sending "cry baby" to DC!

December 14, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  19. Bill from GA

Why don't they do like those rich California repugs and pay their own campaign debts?

December 14, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  20. Frank

"not her direct involvement".... she is married to the guy!!!!! sshe can pay it from her personal wealth

December 14, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. Kevin

"Spend a Day with Bubba", a.k.a. "The 24-Hour NYC Strip Club Blitzkrieg"

December 14, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. concerned liberal

Hillary didn't some of the big corporate donations that Obama did. Good for her being open about her debt and letting her supporters help her out.

She does great work, often without the fanfare of most politicians. Keep up the good work Hillary.

Of course we will see all the anti-powerful-woman element whining here.

December 14, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  23. Pete

Once again the Clinton have found a way to circumvent the Law.

December 14, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. Bill

If I were to even consider donating to get a chance to visit with you and spend a day in Harlem my friends would have me committed to the loony bin.

December 14, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  25. Fed Up

He's worth millions. I think he can afford to pay it himself. What a joke this family is!

December 14, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |