Paterson grades himself
December 20th, 2010

Paterson grades himself

(CNN) – Now that David Paterson's tenure in Albany is coming to an end, what grade does the New York Democrat's rocky governorship deserve?

He says a slightly-higher-than-average "B-."

"Some things went well, some things went not so well," Paterson told the New York Times. "It was a privilege. It was an honor. I would serve. I would do it again."

Paterson took the reigns after the resignation of Elliot Spitzer in 2008. Despite urgings from the White House and other Democrats, he launched a bid early this year to win the seat in his own right.

But the governor dropped out only a week later amid reports he intervened in a domestic abuse case involving his aide. That aide, David W. Johnson, was fired last month. Patterson has maintained his innocence in the case.

As for the future, the governor said the first order of business is finding a new job.

"I am worried about money, because I am not a billionaire, in case you hadn't heard," he said.

Filed under: David Paterson
  1. Fair is Fair

Really? Really???

""It was a privilege. It was an honor. I would serve. I would do it again."

So if you think you did so well, and you would like to do it again, why did you drop out of the primary?

December 20, 2010 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  2. jules sand-perkins

Govenor Paterson:
    A+
    *** Michelin

December 20, 2010 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  3. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Republicans in the senate have set a new standard for failure. So, by comparison to the senate GOP who have earned a solid "F," you would have to grade on the curve, and New York should give Paterson should an "A."

December 20, 2010 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I'm not going to give Gov. Patterson a grade, but he did a good job as a replacement governor.

December 20, 2010 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  5. jules sand-perkins

Paterson's leadership was heroic, especially in his standing up to Obama.
    In the end, Democrats will see that Paterson was right and Obama was wrong.

December 20, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. Sam

I wonder how New York citizens feel? Probably an F for failure to lead – he doesn't have that 'vision thing'.

It's also pretty obnoxious that he lets the public know he's worried about his bank account. I'm sure there is a lucrative book deal, talk show, lecture circuit or private foundation advising he can latch on to. Who is he kidding?

Also, thanks for the pic CNN. Only a face a mother could love.

December 20, 2010 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  7. jules sand-perkins

ToWhomIMC: I AM a New York citizen–have been since 1961. Many of us feel the way I expressed above.

December 20, 2010 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  8. Democrats Class Warfare - Destroying the economy and country

Don't worry Paterson, I hear the unemployment lasts for years! Enjoy your vacation complements of the Chinese!!

December 20, 2010 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  9. Democrats Class Warfare - Destroying the economy and country

Yeah but the latest Ticker story gives him an A+ in graft and corruption! Shock of shocks!! A corrupt Democrat from New York. Why, we haven't seen one of those in, hmmmm, let me see, oh yeah...WEEKS! (Charlie Rangell)

December 20, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |