Oprah talks Palin, 2012
December 22nd, 2010

Oprah talks Palin, 2012

Washington (CNN) - Oprah Winfrey says America may "fall in love" with Sarah Palin as a TV star, but is dismissing the idea that the country would vote for the former Alaska governor in the future.

Asked in an interview with Parade magazine if the thought of Palin's running for office scares her, Winfrey responded, "It does not scare me because I believe in the intelligence of the American public."

Winfrey, who interviewed Palin shortly after her first book was released, said she was not sure if the former Republican vice presidential candidate would run for president in 2012.

"I don't know her so I can't speak to [whether or not she'll be a candidate]," Winfrey said in the interview.

But, Winfrey complimented Palin's new reality show and said of Palin's performance, "I would say that America's going to fall in love with her [from her reality series, Sarah Palin's Alaska.]"

"When I saw that first episode, I went, 'Whoa! She is charming and very likable.'"

Much attention was paid to Winfrey's political influence during the 2008 presidential election; she threw her support behind then-Illinois Senator Barack Obama early on in the race. Winfrey also hosted fundraisers and stumped for Obama on the campaign trail.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. johnRJ08

I think Oprah's admiration for Palin's "charming" quality on her reality show is misplaced. Palin is only charming in situations where she has total control. That's why she won't appear on any reputable news programs. They won't allow her to pre-screen their questions. Palin's charm is fake. In reality, she is a narcissistic, vindictive woman who has absolutely no self-awareness of her own limitations.

December 22, 2010 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  2. Money Mark

Oprah trusts the intelligence of the American people? Ain’t that the pot calling the kettle black. Oprah is where she is because of the ignorance of the American people or more accurately the American TVidiots. Both Palin and Oprah are morons at the opposite end of stupidity

December 22, 2010 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  3. ficheye

Oprah is clearly being careful ...just in case. Just in case america completely loses it's way and votes this woman into office. Then this country will go down, much like the Hindenburg, cameras rolling, flames shooting out, everyone watching with lips pursed as we implode and disintegrate into the ash pile of history.

December 22, 2010 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  4. L. Adams

OK, here we go. I can't wait to see the responses generated by this.

December 22, 2010 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  5. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

With over a quarter century of professional observation, I think Oprah is highly qualified to make the statements she did.
    Sarah Palin is a "hot chick" and cute in her own way, but the shallowness and deception in her shows through when she gets oof script.

December 22, 2010 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  6. sue

I'm not so sure about the intelligence of the american people or half term Palin would not even be a contender. I wish McCain would shove her back in her bottle!

December 22, 2010 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  7. Clark Wilhelm Griswald

CNN continues to sodomize their own credibility with their omnipresent coverage of a non-news nonsense non-story.

Please, as much fun as it is to bash this brainless media whore, respond with only comments letting CNN know what you feel about their being her media pimp.

December 22, 2010 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  8. Charlotte

Oprah, WHAT have you been smoking? America "fall in love" with Sarah Palin? PUH-LEEEEEZE. America detests Sarah Palin, and Americans think she's a worthless bimbo slob. Fatuous, mindless sheep-like wingnuts might like her, but America overwhelmingly rejects her for the sly, opportunistic, uneducated, Plebian cow that she is. I have just lost what little tolerance I might once had for Oprah.

December 22, 2010 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  9. whoa!

the big O! You are sooooo polite. I don't think I could ever be so diplomatic....

In my 59 years I don't think I have ever seen anyone like Palin that is so utterly without substance of any kind that has these delusional pretenses that she is any kind of intellect or leader of any kind. She is the classic narcissist, funny even more that she doesn't even know what that is or where the term even came from.

Most pathetic comment on our society is that she has a following of sh**t for brains morons that think she is anything but a joke of the worst(and scariest) kind.

But fear not people, 2012 is coming and the the higher vibrating beings will be separated(thank God!) from the lower the vibrating chafe!

Spiritual and physical evolution is real!

Blessing be to those who love all things and all people.

December 22, 2010 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  10. Greg in Cabot, AR

WARNING TO CNN.... I have been a fan of CNN for many years ....but....your 27/7 coverage of Palin is turning your network into a supermarket tabloid rag like the National Enquirer and turning off followers like me.....give it a rest......PLEASE!!!

This woman does not deserve the coverage you are giving her and you are missing out on important stuff that makes a difference in our lives.

Palin won't 'waste time' on Couric so why do you waste YOUR time on her???

I can delete CNN from my favorites on the internet and the cable but HOPE you will let her fade into the oblivion that she has created for herself.

December 22, 2010 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  11. Mercfan

Oprah, you go girl... finally someone stands up to the idiot in high heels

December 22, 2010 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  12. TamarS

for the first time in a long time i can say i agree with oprah - the intelligence of the american people far exceeds that of sarah palin. palin is an aged beauty queen with nothing else to offer. even her children keep a distance from her in the media!

December 22, 2010 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  13. jl taylor

Sarah Palin will make a good talk show host, Sarah Palin has no chance to be president of the United states.

December 22, 2010 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  14. Gee Whiz

Yet another headlined by Palin......weeeeeee.

December 22, 2010 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  15. Sharon Lance

I believe Sarah Palin has more going for her & The most intelligent of any incumbent~See all her fact's & Video's~Get More informed~Watch Out America~Here Come's Momma Grizzley~Watching out for us!!!!!!!!!!!

December 22, 2010 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  16. Terry

Charming??? Likable??? Whoa girl what you talking about???

December 22, 2010 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  17. Lady Valkris

Oprah is far more delusional than I anticipated if she thinks Mrs. Palin couldn't get many votes. Americans as a rule just ain't that bright.

December 22, 2010 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  18. james

Woww! When Oprah speaks ,silly immature people listen! The self-righteous are never right in the end. Mark my words. Oprah denies Christ and she uses gurus to change peoples faithy. She is dangerous to your soul...believe me! Don't fall for the owmans pro Obama stance. He is abortionist and balck children are payng the price. Obama is a lestits marxist...Oprah doesn't know what she is...it takes intelligence...Good day..Just warning m,y Christian brother and sisters deception.

December 22, 2010 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  19. rusty155

Nobody In their right mind would vote for SARAN PALIN for any PUBLIC OFFICE. She not Qualified for any public office. And beside that she a IDIOT.

December 22, 2010 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  20. Alaskan

She is spot on. I used to fear that the rest of the nation was truly fooled by this quitter governor. She did not know what her job was as governor and refused to be accessible to those UNDER her- she treats most people as though she is well above them- it is truly sad that any one believes her- the state of Alaska had the wool pulled over their eyes (most) but it was instantly clear that she was in over her head as a pretend governor

December 22, 2010 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  21. NJ Mom

Oprah is correct. Americans are too intelligent to vote for this Quitter from Wasilla. The reality is, Sarah likes making money so she will never abandon her new and lucrative 'career' as a tv personality and talking head. AS for m, I will not permit anyone in the family to watch her show in our home.

December 22, 2010 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  22. George B from Ohio

I agree with Oprah except the reality show compliment, Palin is not charming and likable, she is hateful, phony, devisive, white trash. Period. Only the NASCAR, NRA, lacking a high school education demographics likes this lady. Hmmm ... now that I think about it, that's a big percentage of the people in this country ...

December 22, 2010 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  23. Harry Lime

Why don't we ask Howard Dean, Keith Olbermann, Joy Behar and Rosie O'Donnell what they think of a Palin presidential run while we're at it? That's the kind of balance I expect from CNN!!

December 22, 2010 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  24. from the bluffs

Why anyone would listen to what Palin says is way beyond my comprehension. And yes, the majority of the American people see her for what she is and would never vote for her.

December 22, 2010 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  25. Beth60

I wouldn't call this "dissing" her. I thought she was being pretty respectful, actually.

December 22, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |