Senate passes 9/11 bill
December 22nd, 2010

Senate passes 9/11 bill

(CNN) - The Senate on Wednesday passed a compromise bill that provides free health care to first responders of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack in New York.

Filed under: 9/11 • Senate
  1. bob

Bout time. Republicans have been holding this up far too long.

December 22, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  2. Moderate Sean

Wow, finally some recognition for our brother first responders....I guess the Republicans (Or some of them) finally got that sticked removed, so the American business can move forward. How this particular Bill was even thrown into the world of politics is beyond me, but then again, most of what the Senate has done until recently is beyond me! Playing games with people's lives!

December 22, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  3. Raptor

I hope the American People will remember the republican stance on this issue comes election time. Shame on the republicans.

December 22, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I wonder how Kyl, McCain, Barasso, DeMint, Graham, McConnell, and Coburn voted. I think I know. It was funny watching Tom Coburn on Fox saying the senate committee did not hold hearings on this, and then we see Coburn's empty seat at the hearings. In fairness to Tom, workers were never his priority, and he was trying to prove a point.

December 22, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  5. Demopundit

It has been interesting to observe the growth of Jon Stewart's influence. Without him this 9/11 bill would have certainly died. It is one thing to be consistently effective as a satirist of Washington and quite another to be able to use that pulpit to move the targets of your humor on both sides of the aisle to do the right thing. That is clearly what happened here.

December 22, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  6. wow

ridiculous that it took this long

December 22, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. Four and The Door

As I said before, when Obama reaches across the aisle he will like what he finds and it will be a win win situation. I'm sure many of the liberal posters here preferred his arrogance from the first two years, but things have changed. For the better.

December 22, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  8. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA/John Boehner The Crybaby

I wonder how Sen. "It hasn't gone thru my committee because I was absent" Coburn voted. The bill is paid for and not by raising taxes. That's a rare sight to see in Washington. I want to see who voted against this bill. I remember some lunatic congresswoman from Minnesota by the name of Michelle Bachmann stating there are people in our government that are unamerican. Well Beelzebub Bachmann, you don't have to look any further than to the members in your party.

December 22, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  9. Sniffit

It's about time. Stupid heartless GOPers. Coburn needs to take a long walk off a short pier. Colbert was right...either we rewrite the Bible so it jibes with the GOP's behavior or start admitting that Jesus told us to atke care of those in need but we just don't want to do it. Judged by our treatment of the least among us, we're a shameful disgrace.

December 22, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  10. ABM

Finally. This should have passed a long time ago. Good news for those who helped in the time of need but are now the ones who need help.

December 22, 2010 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. Jayden,FL

FINALLY! they deserve it...

December 22, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |