Pat Robertson's marijuana remarks cause stir
December 24th, 2010

Pat Robertson's marijuana remarks cause stir

(CNN) - The Rev. Pat Robertson – a longtime fixture in Christian conservative politics – is drawing attention for questioning an article of faith among many Republicans: mandatory prison sentences for certain marijuana-related crimes.

Some pot legalization advocates noted that Robertson also appeared to question the criminalization of possession of small amounts of marijuana – a position later denied in a written statement released by his media outlet, the Christian Broadcasting Network.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Pat Robertson
  1. bob

Isn't it ironic that what we really feel in our heart we say with our mouth. Only to have our conservative naysayers come back and make us retract what we truly believe in our heart. That's where conservatives get the Bible all wrong. Robertson was right to say what he did, because he was truly speaking the words of Jesus about injustice. Good for Pat for once. That's the old Pat Robertson I used to appreciate.

December 24, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  2. Charlie in Maine

WWJS What would Jesus smoke?

Hey the Guy turned water into wine. Is all I'm sayin.......

December 24, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  3. jae

I think he was just trying to say it comes from jesus leave them alone

December 24, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  4. Whatever

Pat Robertson has said many comments that have been inflammatory! He seems confused (high?!) in that he made the statements on his TV show and then claimed that he did not say it. Ummm you must be high Mr. Robertson to deny your own statement. I will say that I was very surprised by his comments but the US needs to take a hard look at this issue and laws. 1980 laws cannot combat 2010 problems. The laws are not combating the issue with drug USE. Basic economics supply and demand. If no demand there would be no supply. Maybe time to revise laws and/or possibly legalize pot! The whole oh you should not do this and the thril of doing something that you shouldn't would be eliminated.

Would be income making opportunities but would need some very tight laws around amounts that "speciality" stores could keep on premise at any given time. At least people suffering from AIDS, cancer and other debilitating disases can get something to help ease their pain when medicines can't.

Always amazing to me that I can attend a concert indoor or outdoor and get a contact high from the amount of pot being smoked out in the open and it doesn't matter what type of music you listen too (I've been to Metallica, Bruce, and R&B concerts).

To hear people say that pot is the gateway drug in my personal opinion is a lie! I did not go on to try other drugs. Drug addiction is a disaease. AMEND the laws and let's legalize it.

December 24, 2010 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  5. CTinDC

I NEVER thought the day would come that I would agree with Pat. He is dead on correct. The facts are we are jailing countless individuals for an ounce of plant that has not been proven to cause more harm than nicotine or alcohol. In fact it is used for medicinal purposes. Jailing all these individuals for minor drug traffic violations is ridiculous and cost countless amounts of tax dollars. The fact is, we need to legalize pot, tax it, and remove this dumb stigmatism.

December 24, 2010 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. GI Joe

The thumpers usually change their minds when a close relative gets caught and they don't want the jail time publicised.

December 24, 2010 11:57 am at 11:57 am |