No more smoke-filled rooms for Obama?
December 25th, 2010

No more smoke-filled rooms for Obama?

(CNN) - The president may have kicked his smoking habit once and for all. It has been about nine months since the president's last cigarette, according to White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.

In an interview on CNN's "State of the Union," Gibbs said he still chews Nicorette, but that the president used "stubborn willpower" to stop.

"It was a commitment that I think he made to himself at the end of the health care and with his two daughters in mind," Gibbs told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley.

Gibbs also said this is the longest period, in the almost eight years he's known the president that he's gone without smoking.

"It's really stuck," Gibbs said.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

1. sparky

that's alright, most Republipukes smoke pole......certainly the case up in Idaho

December 25, 2010 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  2. Tam

COPD is a killer. Can't even make the stairs.

December 25, 2010 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  3. Big Al

Good because I'll never vote for a smoker.

December 25, 2010 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Well, that means is all the campaign contributions from the tobacco lobby will go to the GOP. Nothing different there.

December 25, 2010 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  5. LGNY

Bravo!

I hope that everyone eventually kicks the habit. It brings disease and early death to so many people worldwide.

December 25, 2010 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  6. malabar

Calculated ploy to attack the speaker of the house who excercises his right to smoke. nothing Obama does is pure or without malicious intent. hahaha, kinda fun to thnk like a Palin hater, everythng is diabolical and self serving. :)

December 25, 2010 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  7. Joshua Ludd

Now if only he could use that stubborn will power to stop laughing off decriminalization/legalization of marijuana so that people don't have their lives ruined for smoking something FAR FAR less harmful and addictive than what the president just quit smoking.

December 25, 2010 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  8. Lisa Mitchell

Good for you Obama, I really am impressed! If I had to put up with some of the trash talkin, loud mouths this man has to deal with all the time, I would be smoking a whole lot more than ciggerettes!

December 25, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  9. greenhands

Im gald you did my president. we need you healthy and strong to kick some butts, like you promised before the elections.
    Merry Christams
    best wishes

December 25, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  10. deuce

If he was serious about quitting, he would throw them in the trash! I know I did 31 years ago when I realized how ignorant it was...

December 25, 2010 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  11. vikingslost

Congratulations Mr. President for kicking the smoking habit. I am sure your children and Michelle are so proud of you.

You're sending a health related issue message out to all Americans about smoking and the bad effects of it.

December 25, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  12. gypsydaveywithablowtorch

Merry Christmas, Mr. President. With all the noise being made by your political enemies (you can't encourage kids to work hard or your wife can't even promote healthy eating without causing an uproar), there are still many of us out here who respect you and appreciate what you've done for us.

December 25, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  13. Alaskan Sourdough

Good for you President Obama, I smoked almost two packs a day for 18 years and now 33 years later I look back and realize it was the best thing I ever did for my health. Just stay away from that first one, and you'll have no problems ever again.

December 25, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  14. Katie

Good for him! I have never smoked (yuck!!) but I hear from my friends that quitting was the hardest thing they ever did. It's not just a physical addiction, it's a real habit – something to do while on the phone, after a meal, when having a drink... I hope more people follow his lead and even more don't start in the first place. There is NOTHING good about smoking: it's expensive, it's dirty, and it's bad for your health and everyone around you.

December 25, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  15. Leonore H. Dvorkin

So why did CNN make the headline "Obama's Smoking Confession"? They set it up to make it sound as though he is still smoking. Instead, he has done a difficult but wonderful thing for himself, his family, and all others around him. The headline should have read, "Obama Kicks the Smoking Habit." One of my diverse New Year's wishes is that millions more around the world might find similar willpower in the year to come. You can do it if you try, folks. Do it not just for yourself, but for those who love you. The same goes for eating better and exercising more. Just say YES to better health!

December 25, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  16. JCQueipo

Long live our president !!!

December 25, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  17. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

At least he's trying to kick a bad habit. The previous occupant of the White House made no attempt to stop making stupid decisions, and you see what happened?!

Obama at least admits it's a problem. "Miss Me Yet? W" still doesn't get it.........

December 25, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  18. one voice

I'd smoke too if I had to put up with the selfish,corrupt GOP.

December 25, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  19. Proud member of "Global Zero"

He is doing much better than I am. Merry Christmas to all those that celebrate. I have hopes for a happy, healthy, and prosperous new year for everyone.

December 25, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  20. Mark

"stubborn willpower" to stop."????? Gibbs said he still chews Nicorette. He just substituted cigarettes for gum. That isn't will power, it's switching nicotine from inhaling to chewing.

December 25, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  21. damassa

Maybe he should apologize to all of the people in the room he has been killing with his nasty addiction.

December 25, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  22. Patti Zimmerman

Let the guy have at least one vice, besides Joe Biden!

December 25, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  23. ThinkAgain

Keep up the good work, Mr. President! Cigarettes is a VERY tough habit to break, so kudos for your continued efforts. We are behind you all the way!

December 25, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  24. William

Congrats Mr President. Only smokers and ex smokers can understand how truly difficult it is to kick nicotine addiction.

December 25, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  25. Ben Ben

can't wait for all the hypocrite republicans to jump all over his case.

December 25, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |