Joe Miller to CNN: "I'm not going to talk about sour grapes"
December 31st, 2010

Joe Miller to CNN: "I'm not going to talk about sour grapes"

(CNN)–Joe Miller is giving up, but he isn’t standing down.

He also needs Senator Lisa Murkowski’s phone number. Miller won Alaska’s Republican U.S. Senate primary, lost the general election to a write-in campaign waged by incumbent Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski, then unsuccessfully challenged the results in court. Today in Anchorage, he told supporters the time has come, " to accept the practical realities of our current legal circumstances. We shall abide by the court's decisions even if we do not agree with them."

He also sounded a defiant note, adding: “I know for a fact that standing down is not an option, and I will continue to sound the alarm about our state and the nation.”

Eleven minutes after his news conference, Senator Murkowski’s campaign issued the following statement, “I was glad to learn that Joe Miller has bowed to the rulings of the Alaska courts and decided to abandon his challenges. Although certification was a long time coming, it does not diminish the historic accomplishment of our campaign. All Alaskans, regardless of how they voted, can be assured that I will continue to work in Alaska’s interest for the next six years."

In his first interview after his public concession, Miller appeared on “John King, USA,” where CNN’s Ed Henry asked him if he had called Murkowski to personally concede. Miller said, “I have not called her. In fact, I don't have her number.” When asked if he had sought out her phone number through the Alaska GOP, he answered, "Well, I think we already have conceded. We've asked for it before. I don't have it."

After the brutal campaign, Miller also addressed any unresolved issues with the Murkowski camp, “Well, I'm not going to talk about sour grapes. There are a lot of things during the campaign that obviously I think should have been done differently, but frankly, what this is about is two completely different ideologies.”

He added, “We have no ill will toward Senator Murkowski. We have absolutely nothing to dispute as far as the finality of this race right now, but we have significant differences of opinion about where this nation needs to head.”

Miller was also asked if there was anything to be read into his highest profile backer, former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, taking a lower profile in the campaign while the courts sorted out a resolution. Miller said, “Not at all. In fact, the argument that was had during the … post-race, is a legal argument. It's not one where campaigning is appropriate. It's not one where somebody gets out and starts making stump speeches for a candidate. Certainly, SARAHPAC donated to our recount fund. We're very gracious to have received that. A number of other groups, a number of other people also donated. Senator DeMint was key to assisting in that effort as well, and they certainly continue to stand behind us.”

Filed under: Alaska • Joe Miller • Lisa Murkowski • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. Tony

As a veteran of 20 years of service in the US Army, supporting and defending the Constitution of the Unite States, I hope this piece of fascist garbage crawls back to the woods never to be heard from again...

December 31, 2010 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  2. J.V.Hodgson

Finally this nut case does the right thing.I sincerely hope it does not mean any more wasteful legal actions.
    If he wants a phone number he can have Murkowski's senate office number like the rest of us plebs!!
    That should make him really happy.
    Regards, Hodgson
    PS please stop putting Palin at the top of the blog list.. there are more important things happening in the world than her dvd release.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

December 31, 2010 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  3. Republicans Are The American Taliban

Does he have that Washington DC apartment and office that he bragged about? I think not....moron...

January 1, 2011 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  4. Aaron

What happened to the good old days when the losers just faded away into the sunset. Now, every crackpot who looses keeps getting presstime...Miller, O'Donnell, and the queen of all losing crackpots...Palin. The people obviously weren't interested in what they were peddling, unfortunately the news outlets thrive on it.

January 1, 2011 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  5. Bassackwards

Not going to talk about sour grapes? Won't call Lisa Murkowski to concede? As a typical tea bagger, he talks out of both sides of his mouth. Thank the Lord he didn't win. It seems to me that the voters are seeing the danger to the Tea Party. They make the far Right look like Nancy Pelosi's cheerleaders. And I'm so sick of these guys talk about "transparency".

January 1, 2011 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  6. Anonymous

TRANSLATION ...

I'm still a whiny sore loser, who thinks I won .... and will never accept that I lost

What a PUNK

As Arnold would put it ...he's a GIRLYMAN

January 1, 2011 05:52 am at 5:52 am |
  7. Indy

He is forever finished as a Politician, pretty much like Sarah Palin they are never going to grace a high office for the public again. They are a one, two punch as the most detested people in Alaska.

January 1, 2011 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  8. Ken

@Joe Miller, have the decency to concede, its proud American democratic tradition.

January 1, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  9. Jim S

miller and palin are cut from the same cloth they are both petty and vindictive there 2 losers that want to make the winner a target for there hatred and meanness

January 1, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |