Capitol Hill (CNN) – The first day was ceremony and rules, today the 112th Congress gets in the saddle for substantive health care action, our first taste of the partisan battleground and some historic symbolism.
I'll be tweeting all day @LisaDCNN. But here's a quick, American Sauce guide to events (all times Eastern):
- 10a ET UNDERWAY: House session opened. Quorum call, then one-minute speeches
- 10a DEMS ON OFFENSE: Senate Democrats Durbin, Schumer, Stabenow news conference going after House GOP budget rules and plans.
- 10a HEALTH CARE REPEAL: House Rules committee hearing, votes on for HR 2, a bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act, the health care reform law.
- 10:30a-ish CONSTITUTION: Reading of the Constitution on the House floor by Republicans and Democrats (including Pelosi). A congressional first, according to the House historian. This could very likely slide to 10:45a ET.
- 11:15a BOEHNER FIRST: Speaker Boehner, Majority Leader Cantor hold first news conference as leaders of the Republican House.
- 2p-ish SENATE DEMS: finish their caucus meeting and are expected at the microphones. Usually on CSPAN.
- 3:30p-ish SENATE GOP: finish their meeting and are expected to speak to the press. Live coverage unclear.
- 4pish, Timing TBD HOUSE SPENDING CUTS: House to vote on slashing member, committee and leadership budgets 5 percent. CNN Money calculated that is roughly $75,000 for each House member's office, the equivalent of at least one staff member's salary.