Chamber of Commerce applauds Daley appointment
January 6th, 2011

Chamber of Commerce applauds Daley appointment

Washington (CNN) – The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is a fan of Bill Daley.

The president of the pro-business group that spent millions on behalf of Republican candidates last year called Obama's decision to name the current J.P. Morgan banker as his chief of staff a "strong appointment."

"Bill Daley is a man of stature and extraordinary experience in government, business, trade negotiations, and global affairs," said Thomas J. Donahue. "He's an accomplished manager and strong leader. We look forward to working with him to accelerate our recovery, grow the economy, create jobs, and tackle America's global challenges."

Obama is set to speak before the organization early next month. He derided the group in October, accusing it of skirting campaign finance rules to hide the identity of its donors.

1. Phil in KC

Head of JP Morgan to be Chief of Staff? I'm very disappointed. First, that a Democrat would appoint someone so obviously pro-big-business. Second, that he would have someone from the Financial sector – and a failed company that had to be bailed out – as his chief of staff. I'm not surprised that Wall Street likes it, but I don't.

January 6, 2011 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  2. Marko

Chamber of Commerce is another one of many institutions that is so corrupt it should be investigated. Folks they are not on your side. Never will be. 2000 rule and 6 billion follow. Odds look good to me for a change to happen.

January 6, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. Lyle

Nothing like turning the keys over to Wall Street Mr. President. I would have hoped that at least you, who admirably helped clean up the mess from the last Wall Street pig fest, would have the wisdom to keep the foxes out of the hen house. I guess everyone is buying into the GOP mantra, that they stole from Gordeon Gecko – "Greed is Good". Or maybe we should change that to read "Greed is their God."

January 6, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  4. sara

Lobbyist home turf now is in the Congress.

January 6, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  5. Ice

wow!! Just wow Obama. I'm speechless after finding out how weak you are. You are no different that all the so called insiders in the politics of this country. You are a ruthless politician and I hate to say that I fell for your thetoric of change and all..!!

January 6, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  6. Nonie

Good pick. The bottom line is that this country needs jobs. We need companies to start hiring and if his pick makes companies open up their trillion dollar purses and start investing in this country again then we all need to congratulate Obama on his new chief of staff.

January 6, 2011 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  7. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

To Phil in KC: You post but know not what you speak of my friend. This was a great choice but you have to wait further to get your comments organized – meaning when Glenn Beck tells you what's wrong with him, you'll be back to mimic that, too. Must feel great to have the pressure to make up your own mind out of your hands, eh?

January 6, 2011 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  8. Four and The Door

Phil in KC, what is your problem with someone who is pro-big-business? Is big business a bad thing? Why is that? I mean, I'm all for small businesses but can't understand why an American would be anti-big-business.

January 6, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. GOP Taliban Victim

Yes very disappointing. If I wanted another Big $ sell-out that likes NAFTA and shipping our jobs to 3rd world sweatshops, I would have voted for McCain or Billary. Come on Obama – stop trying to be like Clinton or the turncoat Republican creeps.

January 6, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  10. vic nashville tn

First wall street Bailout sponsor by G.W.Bush

Second wall street bailout sponsor by B.H.Obama

please ready for third wall street Bailout

January 6, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. sumguy in CT

And here comes all the typical anti business posts.
    Yes, god forbid he appoints someone who is pro-business. You know, those pesky organizations that write the paychecks we don't have to tax to cover.

January 6, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  12. Lisa P

I'm sure the U.S.Chamber of Commerce's position will chance as soon as one of it's major donors decides it's time for another media hit job on the Obama administration. As they say (especially in the current Supreme Court), money talks.

January 6, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  13. Willy Brown

Another old out of touch Wall Street Millionaire, Thanks Obama.

January 6, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  14. Cincinnatian

It's the economy, stupid! Pure genious on Obama's part.

January 6, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. sane citizen

@ Phil in NC: "Head of JP Morgan to be Chief of Staff? I'm very disappointed."

While I completely understand the disappointment, Phil, I have to say that I think this is a very smart political move on President Obama's part. I believe it is imperitive that this president be re-elected in 2012 because if he doesn't we will have Republicans driving us back over the cliff we have just (narrowly) escaped from. A Republican President and a Republican controlled Congress in 2012 (or any other year for that matter) would spell total disaster for the working class of this country. We may have to hold our noses on this one for the greater good it may do.

January 6, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  16. Average American

I can see the Faux news watchers getting whip lash with this one. First, he's a Chicago thug...a liberal socialist just like the rest. But wait...the Chamber of Commerce (our gods) come out and applaud the appointment. They like him??? Oh, no...what to think??? Someone please tell these people what to think! Is he good or bad? You know how they hate any sort of uncertainty or gray area.

January 6, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  17. Amazing

And the Rothchilds are one step closer to being the direct power behind the throne in this country.

January 6, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  18. GOP = Greed Over People

If the Chamber of Commerce is pleased then the appointment cannot be a good thing for the average American.

Wow, who knew that on 11/2 we also voted in a new Republican President!

January 6, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  19. D. Bunker

Wake up America, the US is now a wholly owned subsidiary of GS, other big financial companies, and a predatory group of faceless billionaires.

January 6, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |