(CNN) – Following a spate of criticism over his plans to hold a private swearing-in ceremony, Ohio Gov.-elect John Kasich reversed course on Wednesday, announcing that the event - set for January 10 at 12:01 a.m. - will now be open to the media.
Kasich's decision to make his and Lt. Gov.-elect Mary Taylor's swearing-in ceremony private, as well as to restrict media access to other inauguration events, sparked immediate outrage, particularly from the Ohio Statehouse press corps, who took issue with being barred from the traditionally open events.
Columbus Dispatch reporter Jim Siegel, who also serves as the president of the Ohio Legislative Correspondents Association, issued a statement on Tuesday chiding the incoming governor, saying the "inauguration of our next governor should be fully open to the press, so the public can get a complete accounting of activities. We have not heard satisfactory reasons as to why some events have restricted press access."
Kasich spokesman Rob Nichols said the decision to bar media access from the official swearing-in stemmed from concerns about space limitations in Kasich's Columbus-area residence.
But on Wednesday, Kasich's inaugural committee announced that the ceremony will now be held at the Statehouse in Columbus, with full access for credentialed media.
Siegel said the press corps is "pleased that the situation has been resolved and that full access will be granted."
"It's an official act, and not something that should be done outside of the view of the media," Siegel said. "It wasn't that we thought there would be some dramatic news event, but we believe it should be open as it has been in the past."
A public ceremonial swearing-in will also take place later that morning in the Ohio Theater as previously planned, the committee said.