Pelosi blasts 'hypocrisy' of new members
January 6th, 2011

Pelosi blasts 'hypocrisy' of new members

(CNN) - Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is now part of the minority party in Congress, but don't expect her to be introspective after the November losses.

"I do introspection, I don't do public introspection," Pelosi said Thursday on CNN's "John King, USA."

But the California Democrat conceded that her party was destined to lose the November elections because of the economy, in spite of their passage of health care and Wall Street reform.

"We still would have lost the election because we had 9 ½ percent unemployment," Pelosi told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. "That came from the policies of George W. Bush and the Republican's support for his initiatives."

She was critical of the new members of Congress who campaigned against the health care law and want to repeal it but are eager to sign up for the coverage they receive under the plan as members of Congress.

"That is hypocrisy," Pelosi said.

Though she now holds the title of House minority leader, Pelsoi said Democrats will be back.

"I have been the minority leader before, and I put forth a plan for us to win the House for the American people and we succeeded. I know how to do that and we intend to do that again," Pelosi said. "We'll be back."

When asked if she is confident she will be speaker again in two years she said, "It's not about me. It's not about me. It's about President Obama being re-elected; it's about Democrats taking back control of the House."

Pelosi said it's not up to her to dole out advice to new House Speaker John Boehner, but said she wished him success, which is "more than they wished of me." She also said the next session of Congress is an "opportunity" for Republicans.

"It's an opportunity because I think as the Republicans now are in office with a Democrat in the White House and the American people see that they're here for special interests, as their handmaidens, that they're here for the tax cuts for the wealthy, that's their job creation initiative," Pelosi said.

Filed under: Congress • Nancy Pelosi • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. once upon a horse

I suspect the word "HYPOCRISY" is going to be used quite a bit when referring to the new Congress. I knew that kiss she planted on ol' Jonny was fake. LOL

January 6, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  2. sumguy2006

What is so hypocritical about wanting your employer to furnish health care?
    These people work for the government....the government should insure them.
    Isn't that the norm in the business world?

January 6, 2011 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  3. Larry

I don't care what anybody says about her. She's a tough woman who fights for what she believes in, and I strongly believe that history will be on her side someday when the health care reform that she helped pass will have the majority of Americans in favor of it.

January 6, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  4. kayla

the gloves are off. you go miss nancy, show them you are no cry baby. atta girl

January 6, 2011 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  5. Ed

I wasn't aware that the health care bill provided all Americans with the same health plan that Congress receives. It doesn't, of course, but that's what Pelosi implies in this article. Disgusting.

January 6, 2011 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  6. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

It just goes to show that some people don't know their history. There are many mistakes that both the Democrats and the GOP have made. I just think that GOP have made ones that are far worse and listen to their fringe much more easily.

January 6, 2011 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  7. Joe

Don't think the Dems will be bck in two years, but they will be back. Once the economy picks up Americans will once again notice that the policies of Ronald Reagan and George Bush ahve bankrupted this country and kick the bums out.

January 6, 2011 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  8. Gil

Just another reason I hate repulsive republicans and their agenda to help the special interests of big business, big oil, big Wall Street and the rich!

January 6, 2011 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  9. Moose

I thought we voted this stupid loser and her Demonratic lemmings out of office last November. Oh, that's right....this old hag had her gavel taken away because she misused it. C ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 6, 2011 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  10. Dean

Exactly correct Nancy – and it's amazing the American people can't see this :(

January 6, 2011 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  11. Monster Zero

That is hypocrisy," Pelosi said.

Delusional old bat, what is hypocrisy is for Nancy Pelosi to have the audacity to stand on the floor of the House and tell the American people that fiscal responsibility is the Democratic mantra. Remember this idiot passing Pay as you go and then turning immediately around and passing bill after bill to spend without funding? What planet does this hag live on?

January 6, 2011 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  12. GreginVT

She's right in saying that her wishes for success for Mr. Boehner is "more than they wished of me." While it may not be true of selected individuals, the truth is that the Republicans, in general, are a mean-spirited bunch. They want us to believe otherwise, of course, but I don't buy it - at least not from the likes of Boehner, McConnell, and the like.

January 6, 2011 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  13. Charlie, NJ

Her comments make absolutely no sense. I hope Pelosi and Palin just fade away.

January 6, 2011 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  14. Former Republican, now an Independent

Pelosi certainly brings forth some valid points here!

January 6, 2011 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  15. Time Grows Short

If there was ever evil incarnate this nasty beast is it. America hoped she would fly her broom stick into hell but looks like she may hold on a little longer.

January 6, 2011 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  16. Shes Right

Nancy baby, You've Hit the Nail Right On the Head!!

January 6, 2011 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  17. The Math Prophet

"as their handmaidens"

Great word for the GOP! Don't necessarily like Pelosi but can't stand the lying GOP.

January 6, 2011 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  18. irene

The GOP are nothing more than a bunch of crooks and liars. Anybody who votes for them is aiding and abetting criminal activity.

January 6, 2011 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  19. kyle

Yes, I would like to see the GOP members of Congress vote to repeal their own healthcare.

January 6, 2011 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  20. Barry from Wisconsin

Go get 'em, Ms Pelosi!

January 6, 2011 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  21. David c.

I don't like her but she is spot on with her observations!

January 6, 2011 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  22. John

I know what I wish for her. All bad things to happen to her. She is evil and hates America. She and the Kenyen are trying to destroy us thru debt.

January 6, 2011 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  23. Peter Wolfe

I belive that Pelosi was overall a good House Speaker over the years in my humble opinion. She like she mentioned did things for health care reform and financial overhaul much needed in America! Thank you Mrs. Pelosi for your years of service from a southern moderate democrat. Thank God the hypocracy of the political system unddrstands that humans are more than commodities on the market like cattle for sell like my former home state of Texas cannot understand that America benefits off of th ignorant of illiterate americans on their wreckless behavior and yet ironically we don't want to have a safety net when they fall. Moreover, personal responsability is a wreckless shame in the face of genetics, accidents and other unfortunante mishaps of life. Its truly a shame when we cannot unite to give universal health care access and yet on the other hand give billions out to wreckless behavior to financial institutions out there. What happened to personal responsability america? Stupid nation and if I could move I would move from these man made borders to more welcoming humane of places from these shores.

January 6, 2011 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  24. dennis

Yeah; she only spent America into permanent debt, starting our nation toward an internal fire of destruction.
    She can think about that while she doing her private "introspection". Oh, also, when your Health Insurnance company raises your rates 54% per year due to ObamaCare, and you wait in 4 hour lines to see a Doctor to fix your common cold, you can be privately "introspective" about ever putting Reid and Pelosi in charge.

January 6, 2011 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  25. Four and The Door

She owns the unemployment and doesn't even realize it. She bought it with her $850 billion Stimulus bill which was a flaming failure. So many people explained why that would not work, but through her arrogance she knew better! So many country's, even our own proved that massive government spending does not recover a down economy. She refused to pay attention to history. She put us in a deep deep hole of debt and she still has no clue how we got there. Blame GWB, she says.

January 6, 2011 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |