Political Circus: Size matters for the House speaker
January 7th, 2011

Political Circus: Size matters for the House speaker

Washington (CNN) – Politics is serious business - but not all of the time. From the halls of Congress to the campaign trail to the international stage, there's always something that gets a laugh or a second glance.

Big government

Time magazine's Josh Sanburn asks in a new story, "Why Is John Boehner's Gavel So Big? During the ceremonial handing over of the Speaker of the House's gavel, Boehner's predecessor noted the larger size of the gavel that he was presented with.
Full Story

Filed under: John Boehner • Political Circus
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I'm not even touching this one lest I forget I'm on a public blog site. But.....the possibilities of wisecracks based on the headline alone are endless.

January 7, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

...Send in the clowns....there ought to be clowns....oh wait, they are here......

January 7, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  3. Democrats Class Warfare - Destroying the economy and country

It needs to be bigger and heavier to knock some common sense into the DemocRATS' heads!!! Apparently the results of last Nov. 2nd hasn't done it. The gavel probably won't work either. DemocRATS are dumber than stumps.

January 7, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. The Jackdaw

CNN, how many times am I supposed to click before I get to the actual story? I have lost interest. Stop creating more and more pages that only provide space for more advertisements and get to the G-D point. I have not only list interest in the article, but forgotten what interested me in the first place.

January 7, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  5. Real Patriots Do MORE than Salute the flag, They educate themselves

Compensating for some shortcomings. Not surprising. Let me give the Weeper O' the House some music: $100 B spending cuts, protecting the Constitution, transparency....watch him try to tap dance around those. PS it's only day 2 folks; buckle up it's going to be a long bumpy ride until 2012 when the real patriots will move the country forward again.

January 7, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. Wire Palladin, S. F.

The size of his gavel is to overcome his other shortcomings.

January 7, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. Paul ny

lol. Perhaps the huge gavel is to make up for other tiny parts?

January 7, 2011 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  8. Bill, NY

So he thinks he's Thor now? Heil Boehner!!!!

January 7, 2011 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. Marty, FL

Too bad Boehner did not use his overcompensation of a gavel to call his absurd members into order, who decided to go to a TV party instead of swearing in on our Constitution.

Unbelievable political circus, indeed.

January 7, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  10. PalmReader

Boehner's over sized gavel highlighting his under-developed manhood? Works for me ...

January 7, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  11. andy

Big gavel to compensate for small republican brain.

January 7, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |