Doctors: Arizona congresswoman able to communicate
January 9th, 2011

Doctors: Arizona congresswoman able to communicate

TUCSON, Arizona (CNN) - U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is able to communicate with doctors by following simple commands, a doctor said Sunday.

"We are very encouraged by that," said Dr. Michael Lemole, Jr., chief of neurosurgery at the University Medical Center in Tuscon, Arizona. "I am cautiously optimistic."

Giffords remained in critical condition Sunday morning after a gunman shot her in the head and then opened fire on a crowd at a political meet-and-greet outside an Arizona supermarket.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Arizona • Gabrielle Giffords
  1. fayse

This is so sad and this is the result of all of the insane extremism that is currently fanning the flames of hatred. This is not Christianity and this type of thing is destroying America.
    My prayers are with her and her family.

January 8, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  2. FactCheck

Palin, Boehner and company must be *so* proud of what they have done to this country.

January 8, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  3. vic nashville tn

Tragedy ,unspeakable

January 8, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  4. B Riley

Gabrielle Giffords was one of the politicians targeted by Sarah Palin on her PAC site. Coincidence? I doubt it.

January 8, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  5. kristin g cook

This is so senseless and tragic ... I hate guns and wish they were illegal!!!!!!

January 8, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. Freedom

I may not have agreed with everything she did but may she rest in peace and may God comfort her family.

January 8, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  7. AZ Dem

Such a sad day for our country. This is such a shame. The laws regarding fire arms in this state needs to be reformed ASAP. How is it legal for a person to walk around with a concealed weapon and not be required to have some type of permit or SOMETHING. C'mon Jan Brewer this is your chance to prove you aren't totally incompetent.

January 8, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  8. john

We can thanks Sarah Palin and her "Hit List". Further proof that these rightwing nuts need their guns taken away.(Preferably from THEIR cold dead hands!)

January 8, 2011 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. the real ib

This is so sad and uncalled for. I don't care where you are a conservative or liberal this is the last thing I want to see happen to someone. Prayers for all those who were hurt.

January 8, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  10. guest123

Other news oulets are reporting that the Congresswoman did not survive. If that is the case, I my sincerest condolances to her family and constituents. She did not deserve to be gunned down for just doing her job by actually listening to her constituents wanted to tell her.

I will be watching closely and remembering which of her colleagues condemns this murder and who remains silent. The silence will tell me and everyone all they ever need to know about any elected official.

January 8, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  11. Oy Vey Az

How about these apples Sarah ? Is this what you have in store for us if we disagree with your special little tea-bag friends ? Expletive deleted !

January 8, 2011 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  12. fayse

One of the victims was a nine month old child !!!! please stop the hate and violence.

January 8, 2011 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |