Rubio swats away VP chatter
January 10th, 2011

Rubio swats away VP chatter

Washington (CNN) - There are many reasons to place Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, at the top of any 2012 vice presidential shortlist. He's young, telegenic, a talented fundraiser, and appealing to the conservative base. And perhaps most importantly, he's a Hispanic hailing from the nation's largest battleground state.

But Rubio, who has yet to take a vote as a U.S. Senator, was eager to shoot down the speculation in a radio interview Monday.

"Are you at least open to the possibility?" asked Panama City radio host Burnie Thompson.

"No, I'm not," Rubio answered. "And I'll tell you why I'm not. This job is a big job. To be the senator from Florida is a big job. In addition to the votes you take in Washington of national importance, our state has a multitude of issues. I mean, it will soon be the third largest state in the country and perhaps the most complex state in the country in terms of the set of issues it faces. In order to do that job, and do it well, you've got have to have 100 percent focus on it. I ran for the U.S. Senate because I wanted to be a U.S. Senator."

Rubio called the chatter "flattering" but said it's just the product of the Washington media "circus."

"In a couple weeks, they'll talk about someone else," he said. "They'll move on."

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Marco Rubio
  1. Dave

I wonder if the hypocrites on the right will subject Rubio to endless questions and speculation about where he was born. Somehow, I doubt it.

January 10, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

He hasn't even proven to be a good senator. Not to mention, he still hasn't answered for the misuse of that republican credit card.

January 10, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. mesamick

If I were an uber-conservative right-winger I'd be running away from anything to do with the (R)'s myself. Just wait till you see the ineptitude, stupidity and hypocracy that the super-majority of right-wingers and teatards on the Hill demonstrate to America over the next 2 years and you'll see why. Rubio ain't stupid, he's just a rethugliecant...

January 10, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. T'sah from Virginia

Rubio makes a lot of sense!

January 10, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. GI Joe

He's gonna wait until corporations are more indebted to him before he throws his money-grubbing hat in the ring. He's also going to need to produce a birth certificate. ha ha ha ha ha ha

January 10, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  6. GI Joe

His buddy Demented from SC will let him know when he can do whatever. Demented is the republican that sets the rules for the entire republican and tea-bagger parties.

January 10, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  7. The Other Michael in Houston

Hush Rubio, We all know why you got into politics, to get to the top. I personally want you to be chosen as VP so we can do to you what we did to Sarah in 2008, give you a big fat NAW, NAW, NAW.

January 10, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  8. "GlobalZero"

First, lets find out why he walked away from is Adjustable Rate Mortgage. I want a credit check done on this guy. There is no way I will vote for anyone that wants to touch SS. I am 52 and according to Rubio....I don't need it. FAR FROM IT Mr. Free Market. I lost 56 percent of my retirement in 2008. I am just now getting some of it back. I do not trust this man as far as I can throw him. Just wait until he turns in his income tax form...I want to see it.

January 10, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  9. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Boy, this guy Rubio owes the Bush's big time. Jeb will run and to get the Hispanic vote he'll pick Rubio but Hispanics across the nation will not sellout to the Republicans.

January 10, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  10. kayla

hi mr. rubio, they want to use you like when they got sarah palin to get the women votes, and michael steele for the blacks. am glad you have some sense. unlike sarah and steele.

January 10, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  11. diridi

this Hispanic dude is good for nothing...o.k,

January 10, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  12. Lisa

Can we please wait and see how Rubio does as a Senator before we start pushing him forward for higher office?

January 10, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  13. Joan

I think Mr. Rubio is a honest and fair minded person. He knows that he is not ready for the position of President and he is not going to waste time. I think because we now have a Black President the thinking is that anyone can be a President.
    It is going to be funny and scary to see all those that are going to come out of the woodwork to run in 2012.LOL...

January 10, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  14. Holly

Florida – The #1 Corrupted State in the US. That's the headline that hit the papers this weekend.

January 10, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. Marie MD

LOL. Really, really :) :) :)
    Not in our lifetime.

January 10, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  16. Monster Zero

Too inexperienced and not quite ready for the spot, reminds me of someone else...

January 10, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  17. SayWhat

He has no time for higher office, he has another "Hunks of the GOP" calendar shoot to fit into his busy telegenic schedule.
    Don't worry about substance Marco, the American people want no part of that.

January 10, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. FREEDOM

Thank you Senator Rubio! May you uphold your promises that you made during the campaign-to repeal the healthcare bill, to lower our debt and taxes, to uphold traditional values-you are a great senator and I hope I can say that 6 years from now!

January 10, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  19. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Sure. Hang him around Bachman's neck

January 10, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  20. mgc florida

This is just siilly, the guy just got sworn in and we are talking VP?? Please, he was not that great a state senator down here. Just because some thinks he looks good does not a winner make!

January 10, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  21. plan please

plan please. all these ideas no plans. how can you run on ideas and not articulate a plan with numbers.

January 10, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  22. Patriots Salute the Flag! Traitors don't!!!

We simply do not want this man in the White House.

January 10, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |