Michael Steele withdraws from RNC race
January 14th, 2011

Michael Steele withdraws from RNC race

Oxon Hill, Maryland (CNN) - Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele dropped his re-election bid Friday and endorsed former Bush administration official Maria Cino to succeed him.

"I really thank you for the chairmanship of this party, for the two years that I have had and at this time I will step aside for others to lead," he said. "But in so doing I hope you all appreciate the legacy I leave despite the noise. Despite the difficulties, we won."

"As many of you figured out I am a fighter, and I am a little bit obstinate," he continued. "But I am because I believe in the fight ... I will step aside because I think the party is ready for something different."

Steele then released his delegates and asked them to support Cino, whose bid is backed by House Speaker John Boehner.

Filed under: Michael Steele • RNC
  1. James

That's a shame. He really hip-hopped up the GOP, truly embracing one armed midgets. His GOP was off the hook, yo.

January 14, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  2. CliffDogg

Steele was dumber than Bush, so I thought he fit in well there. Except for the fact that only 5% of the GOP is black. And in the RNC debate he said he didn't own a gun. (Yes, that was actually a question in the "debate" – How many guns do you own. Apparently that's relevant for picking a leader of the RNC).

Now, to find the perfect candidate...the gun-owning preacher who was a Marine and former CEO of a large pharma, investment or weapons company.

January 14, 2011 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  3. Patissankana

Ho Boy ! He is going to be the special adviser to Laurent Gbagbo, Ex Presdent of Coted'Ivoire

January 14, 2011 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  4. Lost in Texas FOREVER

don't worry Mike Steele the African-American community will welcome you back with open arms..........NOT!!! LOL

January 14, 2011 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  5. Diesel

I must have some kind of super powers ....... No wait ....common sense made that clear to me, after he was elected ...
    many of us knew he was put in that position because he would be a counter balance to the prez Obama,( that didn't work ) just as Sarah p-brain was picked to hopefully gain the vote of dischanted Independent and democrat woman after H. Clinton lost the prez nomination.
    With all the money the repubs have rescorces to. I don't understand why they cant find (whatever color, Gender) a above average intelligent, Decent human being to pick for a nomination.... Have they dumbed down america to the point that we resort to fanatics, ( sorry mikey to center for repub these days ) and 5 yr community collage P-Brains..
    Give america a break and for all of or sakes, at least pick someone that is going to bring this nation together instead tearing us apart.... I do believe a vote for republican @ this point would only be a vote for United corporatations of America ,
    and believe that they have stole the american dream from the middle class with no desire to do anything but make a profit, and will continue with lies and sheep, until were the 3rd world, what wake up call are you waiting for?

January 14, 2011 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  6. Does it really matter?

I don't understand all the hate rhetoric here. The guy did his best and at the end of the day it wasn't good enough. End of discussion. Let's just base everything on merit please ;-)

January 14, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  7. ruf

come on people he klnow well that he will not stand a chance of winning again,

January 14, 2011 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  8. Dtd

I've been moderated, for using a word that offends, I understand.,,,
    Steele was supposed to be the republican answer to Obama, to help the racist republicans not feel so bad about themselves. Come on people, why would a black person, or any minority ever want to be a republican- do they really think old white money, or redneck truckers give a crap about them. And don't get me started on bible backed racist rhetoric either.

January 14, 2011 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  9. chuckly

lol, it is not racist to point out that the only reason he got the job to begin with is because he was black. That is a fact. My guess is the only one's claiming it is racist to point that out are the racist pigs that put him in the position to begin with, or their rabid backers!!

January 14, 2011 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  10. kim

he was never the chairman of the RNC. He was only elected in because republicans wanted black votes and when they saw that they were not getting them they are now dumping him. Steel is a fool! I can't believe he really thought he was part of the good ol boys, kkk, party. uncle toms never learn. Steel is an embarrassment to the black race.

January 14, 2011 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  11. Kara

Is this really a surprise to anyone?

January 14, 2011 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  12. Name fuji

It is so strange of the race relations in the U.S.A. after 911 you did not here of race problems between blacks and white we all stood together now all you see and hear is signs of racism I hope african americans see they are only used when it is in the best interest for Anglo americans sad but true

January 14, 2011 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  13. pw

Steele been kick off the Plantation. Goodbye token

January 14, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  14. Republican Rick

Good riddance! He did nothing except waste money the whole time and lose votes. Hopefully, they get someone who knows what they are doing this time.

January 14, 2011 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  15. RosaFranklin

Awwww, man. Does this mean Jon Stewart won't be able to use his Michael Steele puppet on the Daily Show as often? I freaking LOVE the Michael Steele bits they do.

January 14, 2011 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  16. Perry

Hey Mr. X RNC! You didn't get not a snigle black person to join that racist group. They're not as stupit as your beer drinking white friends thought.

January 14, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  17. Brook

At least he has his "street cred" to fall back on. Maybe he can grow some dredlocks and be a DJ at a club somewhere.
    (BA HA HA HA!)

January 14, 2011 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  18. Perry

What are you going to do now that no one will take you in? The blacks dosen't want you, the Hispanics won't have you and the racist RNC/Teabagges just kicked you out. Go work in Haiti and try and redeem yourself.

January 14, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |