Michael Steele withdraws from RNC race
January 14th, 2011

Michael Steele withdraws from RNC race

Oxon Hill, Maryland (CNN) - Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele dropped his re-election bid Friday and endorsed former Bush administration official Maria Cino to succeed him.

"I really thank you for the chairmanship of this party, for the two years that I have had and at this time I will step aside for others to lead," he said. "But in so doing I hope you all appreciate the legacy I leave despite the noise. Despite the difficulties, we won."

"As many of you figured out I am a fighter, and I am a little bit obstinate," he continued. "But I am because I believe in the fight ... I will step aside because I think the party is ready for something different."

Steele then released his delegates and asked them to support Cino, whose bid is backed by House Speaker John Boehner.

Filed under: Michael Steele • RNC
  1. vic nashville tn

CNN this not a breaking news we know its coming

Now RNC fully own by rich white people

January 14, 2011 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  2. james Miller

Sounds like he quit as they about to "fire" him ----– Even he`s not radical enough any longer.

January 14, 2011 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  3. Wire Palladin, S. F.

He should have figured he was toast when he said he didn't own any guns.

January 14, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Looks like Nancy Pelosi was not the only one to be "Fired." I am thinking the people of Guam are not going to be happy about this.

January 14, 2011 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. Wailer

Looks like it was a no-win situation after Boehner backed the white lady. Well, maybe Mr. Steele can finally open his eyes and see that the base he loves so much didn't love him too much.

January 14, 2011 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. Lynda/Minnesota

Michael Steele don't be da man no more. Aw shucks.

January 14, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  7. ART

The tea baggers and the right white wing Republicans have spoken one black man in charge is enough

January 14, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  8. Kwesoe

Hey Michael, there is a line, a very long line called the Unemployment Line. Welcome to the club. Loser!

January 14, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  9. Jay Kay

ha ha ha... he can't win... ha ha ha

January 14, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  10. Former Republican - Now Independent

Watching C-Span's coverage of the RNC's meeting, I noticed that when Michael Steele left the floor, he reduced the total number of black members of the RNC by 25%.

The current RNC membership is certainly not representative of this country's diversity. Why should we elect GOP candidates?

January 14, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. KFED

thank god!

January 14, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  12. Sniffit

He done got runned ovah by teh Shortbus.

BTW:

"No portrayal of minority experience in the history which actually occurred shall obscure the experience or contributions of the Founding Fathers, or the majority of citizens, including those who reached positions of leadership."

From TN teatards' demands of the TN legislature with respect to history lessons. Nope...no racist underpinnings here....look over there...SHINY THING!!1!!1! Oh wait, that's just SteveBob and the sun glinting off his tinfoil hat.

January 14, 2011 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  13. Anonymous

He's going to head Barack Obama's re-election campaign.

January 14, 2011 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  14. Moe of Tennessee

The Token has been used and dismissed.... Steele.. Tell me you saw this coming, Stevie Wonder could!!!!!

January 14, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. MASS4CHANGE

Well this is something. At least we don't have to look at this Dr. Phil – looking agent of the NEW WORLD ORDER anymore!

January 14, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  16. Pelly K

One more Republican who quits.

January 14, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. Tom

RINOs are bailing out!

January 14, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  18. JoeT

As a confirmed ex-Republican, I can't say I've ever had much love for this guy. Regardless, I don't understand why his reelections wasn't anything more than a fomrality– while I think the recent election was horrible for the nation, no one can doubt it was unprecedentedly good for the GOP.

January 14, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  19. Mark L.

I heard that Michael Steele is solely withdrawing from the RNC race so that he could help his twin brother, President Omar Hassan Ahmad al-Bashir, out in the Sudanese region...LMAO....{:o)

January 14, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  20. Fernando

Michael Steele apparently was the last person to know he was not going to run... or win...
    Similar to Ricky Martin coming out of the closet... after everybody knows you are gay.

January 14, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  21. janie jones

He was just a Uncle Tom for rich white old men anyway.Good riddance!

January 14, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  22. The unsub

kinda feel sorry for the fella

January 14, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. Michael Don't Go!

NO! – Michael Steele was the gift that kept giving to the Democrats with an almost super-human ability to screw things up! – Whenever he opened his mouth it was raining Gold Coins for the Democratic Party – Shucks!! – Let's pray that the Republicans pick someone dummer (hard to do) hopefully some Bible Belt Buffoon that will Yodel that the Earth is only 10,000 years old or the Statue of Liberty is Satan!!!

January 14, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  24. payback

....Can you say: 'USED TOKEN,NEGRO............This coming from someone who knows......

January 14, 2011 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  25. AMY

I am suprise he was voted in the first time.

January 14, 2011 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |