Michael Steele withdraws from RNC race
January 14th, 2011

Michael Steele withdraws from RNC race

Oxon Hill, Maryland (CNN) - Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele dropped his re-election bid Friday and endorsed former Bush administration official Maria Cino to succeed him.

"I really thank you for the chairmanship of this party, for the two years that I have had and at this time I will step aside for others to lead," he said. "But in so doing I hope you all appreciate the legacy I leave despite the noise. Despite the difficulties, we won."

"As many of you figured out I am a fighter, and I am a little bit obstinate," he continued. "But I am because I believe in the fight ... I will step aside because I think the party is ready for something different."

Steele then released his delegates and asked them to support Cino, whose bid is backed by House Speaker John Boehner.

Filed under: Michael Steele • RNC
  1. Mark

You won. We all lost.

January 14, 2011 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. Norm

just this morning they were reporting that he was determined to "fight to the bitetr end to hold his position".
    Not surprising from the flip flop party. Sorry Mike. You were only useful as a way for the GOP to say "See?...we like people of color too". Just like Palin was their reply to Hilary. Your usefulness is over.

January 14, 2011 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  3. Grog

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

January 14, 2011 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  4. TheOneWithTheBrain

And in other news, the GOP voted today to change the symbol of their party to a confederate flag with doller signs and a middle finger.

has-been bigots with no solutions do not matter except to three toothed idiots. unfortunatly, they all vote.

January 14, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  5. Zenichi-Maro

I'm not a fan of Michael Steel by ANY stretch of the imagination (I remember all too well when he was the Lt. Gov in Maryland), but I have to take exception to the notion that this is somehow racially motivated. Steel failed on his own merits: Bad fundraiser, bad decision maker, bad leader. The fact that he's brown-skinned is irrelevant and bringing it up is equally so. Michael Steel would be an embarassment to the GOP if he were white, brown, pink, or purple with green polkadots.

ZNM

January 14, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  6. lilbubba

Yeah, he's probably not radical enough. I'm sure they want someone who can direct the party to compete with the likes of Palin, since she gets all the press now and there is so much energy in her camp.

January 14, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  7. Danny Cali

Here's you go Michael we know that you going to loss and now you are the loser, you know want Republican never ever let the Black Dog fight with the Black Dog all the time that's why RNC let you go. Michael the next things you going to joy us in EDD programs, so lets enjoy it Michael.

January 14, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  8. Aezel

Yay, a Bushie is gonna lead the party again. The RNC....rushing forward into the past, and refusing to learn from past failures. What a great political party.

January 14, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  9. mlr

Cool dude – I am sure he has something good lined up – it takes a strong man to put the party first, and not try tocreate a fractured fight of this. He had some strong irons in the fire for other positions in politics, so I hope it is something really good. BTW – this was not a black/white issue in the republican party – it was a new guard/old guard issue. I wish the race baiting on both sides would just quit – it is very demeaning to the blacks in our country.

January 14, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  10. Onion

Bye bye black like me

January 14, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. bruno sako

i saw this coming.it was just a matter of time before the get rid of him.
    he worked very hard for the RNC
    I wish you the best Steel.
    it time for you to swich party and go for the democrat.
    may God bless you bro.

January 14, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

"But in so doing I hope you all appreciate the legacy I leave
    -------------------------------------------------–
    Steele I've got one word for your farewell speech: CLASSLESS and TACKY.

Make that TWO words.

They don't want you around; they didn't want you around in the first place. You were USED. and you continue to embarrass yourself by pretending not to see that it was all about using you.

They won't appreciate jack$hit. They just want you to GO already!

January 14, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  13. AJ

They don't need you anymore Steele.

January 14, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Max

Michael Steele actually has delegates to release????

January 14, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. Don

I hope to live long enough to see a time when a man is judged by his actions, his character and his results and not the color of his skin. Many of these posts are pure racist in nature, probably some by folks that are critical of racism. You are a sad, sorry group.

January 14, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  16. XWngLady

This has got to be one of THE worst photos that I've seen of Steele. I think journalists live for these types of pictures....In any case, we told you Steele! Now that The Republicans have their "mojo" (and some political power) back they have no more need for the counter to Obama (not that you ever REALLY were).

January 14, 2011 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  17. Ark_Man

LOL!!!!! Look like Flunky Steele is wanting to cry. He a disgrace to the blacks. I'm sorry.. He should have known he quits or they were going to hang him. Since these tea-poppers have come on the scene.. LOL!!!!

January 14, 2011 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  18. ATL Guy

Poor Mikey, used and thrown out like dirty dish water.

January 14, 2011 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  19. Realistic

Well well well....Interesting that a individual who dared challenge the head of the RNC(Rush) gets the boot. Yes Micheal was just a figure head b/c of Obama and when he dared to talk before asking permission from Rush, it was the end. And the GOP used this fool to win in Nov and once the repubs won, Michael S fate was already sealed. He could of won the House, the Senate and lets say just as an example, the WH, he still would of been fired. He took on Rush and no one in the GOP can do that without getting punished by the machine.

January 14, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  20. civility is cool

Hey Michael . . . how's the view from under the bus? Or is that from the back of the bus????

January 14, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  21. Liberal4Obama

Fire Pelo... STEELE !

January 14, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  22. SV

Whoever they pick as leader should be a blind person, because it will definitely be a case of the blind leading the blind.

January 14, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  23. Marko

What are the Repubs going to do now!!!! Maybe they can spray paint Palin black to fill Steele's seat

January 14, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. Jacob

Kharma for the "Fire Pelosi" tour?
    and you were done in by your OWN PARTY!

January 14, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  25. lilbubba

Don, I know. Many of these posts are pretty scary. But we don't have a problem with race in America, right? haha! Whatever.

January 14, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |