GOP lawmaker: I can cut $153 billion
January 14th, 2011

GOP lawmaker: I can cut $153 billion

New York (CNNMoney) - President Obama's bipartisan debt commission last month put out a big list of possible spending cuts that some thought would simply fade into memory.

Not so fast, says a Republican lawmaker from Texas with a hankering to slash the federal budget.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Kevin Brady
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - John "The Weeper of the House" Boehner

I like the fact that Mr. Brady actually outlines what he wants to cut and it's not any entitlement programs. Maybe he should have been the republican leader since he actually knows what he wants to cut and Mr. Boehner doesn't.

January 14, 2011 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  2. iNotQuiet

The GOP could find reason to slash funds from a kid's Lemonade Stand; forgetting that G.W. Bush had spent more than W.J. Clinton.

January 14, 2011 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  3. T'sah from Virginia

["I think the commission did a wonderful job of being specific and putting together a bold plan," Sawhill said. "This is how many of us hoped the commission's work would be used."]

And that is the reason why they were put together in the first place but others don't like what they are presenting as a resolution!! Brady also stresses "cutting defense expenses" – now that coming from a RepubliCAN'T is welcoming – finally!!

Let's continue to support our current leader, President Obama, as he MOVES AMERICA FORWARD in a POSITIVE direction!

January 14, 2011 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  4. vic nashville tn

Don’t even talk about Pentagon and Military research cut when republican have majority in the house so 68 billion out
    He doesn’t want to talk about changing Bush tax because we can save nearly 300 billion

January 14, 2011 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  5. Dave

I must say I'm impresed. Instead of throwing bombs and refusing to give specifics like the rest of the Republicans, Rep. Brady is actually giving details and they seem to be well thought out. These are all good ideas and good places to start from. The only stipulation I want to see is that if the Federal workforce has to accept a pay freeze, this should also apply to members of Congress and their staff members as well.

January 14, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  6. gt

get after it....bet those senators will balk....

January 14, 2011 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  7. GI Joe

I can cut more than that - if each war costs us over $10 billion a month, $240 billion will be saved the 1st year all our troops are home.

January 14, 2011 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  8. Tulsa

Not bad, but we really need to address the tax code.
    Do away with the majority of special interest loopholes, fix the alternative minimum tax, make the playing field more level and fair.
    It is not fair to tax the middle class the same as the wealthy, then give the wealthy the means to get out of paying their fair share while not extending that same resource to the middle class.
    Being taxed the same or on a close sliding scale is OK by me, just close the freakin' loopholes that make the tax code unfair.

January 14, 2011 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Rep. Kevin Brady has incorporated two dozen commission proposals into legislation
    -------------------------------------------------–
    I can totally get behind this!!!!!
    Rep. Brady sits on the Ways and Means Committee so he cannot be so easily dismissed by folks on either side ofthe aisle.
    I am particularly impressed and heartened by the fact that he appears quite willing to incorporate budget slashes from a venue considered to be the Holy Grail for Republicans: the Department of Defense.

Please be aware that the ORIGINAL budget-saving slashes were borne out of President Obama's BIPARTISAN Debt Commission.

I'm almost afraid to get my hopes up.

January 14, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  10. Nadeem

Any specifics or just more Hyperbole, so far the Presdient is the only one to provide a list of specific cuts to be consider.

January 14, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |