Maine governor says NAACP can 'kiss my butt'
January 14th, 2011

Maine governor says NAACP can 'kiss my butt'

(CNN) – Maine Republican Gov. Paul LePage is keeping up his reputation for blunt language, telling an unhappy NAACP chapter that they can "kiss my butt."

The governor made the comments to CNN affiliate WCSH after being asked about criticism he received from the organization for refusing to attend an event it is sponsoring on behalf of Martin Luther King Day.

"They are a special interest. End of story...and I'm not going to be held hostage by special interests. And if they want, they can look at my family picture. My son happens to be black, so they can do whatever they'd like about it," LePage said.

The governor has an adopted son from Jamaica, according to WSCH.

Specifically, the NAACP event involved meeting with black prisoners at the state prison. Le Page maintains the organization rejected his requirement to meet with all prisoners at the event.

"That wasn't acceptable to them," LePage said. "So, tough luck."

During his campaign for governor, the Tea Party-backed LePage faced fire when he said he would tell President Obama to "go to hell" if he was elected. LePage later said he regretted the bluntness of his words.

Filed under: Maine
  1. Quinton

I am black and I agree with the Mayor. If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't want to go. People whine too much. Though I will say, "kiss my butt" is kind of childish. But in principle, he is right!

January 14, 2011 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  2. Anonymous

The man thinks he is being forthcoming- he's an inappropriate bully.
    Name calling & innapropriate responses are wrong for anyone, but form a politicain, its's just plain wrong.
    No one but Michelle has the right to tell the President where to go and "kiss my butt" is not the way to reject a request whne you are doing so in public as a people's representitive.
    Governor- grow up.

January 14, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. Tim

What do you expect from a pig but a grunt.

January 14, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. Jo Brown

Civility has gone by the wayside. Does one really have to wonder about the violence in the world? Just listen to how we talk to one another. Makes me almost happy that I am 64 and won't be here much longer.......

January 14, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  5. Ellen Weaver

I applaud this governor's bluntness and honesty. How refreshing to hear in this age of 'political correctness.'

January 14, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. GL

This makes me think the only reason why he adopted this black boy to brainwash this kid to become a Republicans since no blacks in their right main would become a Republicans. Just look how they have treated Michael Steele and I am no fan of Michael Steele. He should at least get correct for winning back the house and getting Nancy P fired instead the Republicans are throwing him under the bus like a hated black man.

January 14, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  7. cdavis

who care a tea party nut like maine governor Lepage who sound like it's a big deal by adopted a black child from jamaica why didn't he go to a country that is trying to recover and give some money by telling President Obama to look at his back side saying this easy you are fat and out of shape now look at your own butt.

January 14, 2011 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  8. VA Gurl

I have to admit...Mr. LePage is right on this one. I am so proud of the contributions made by my African American ancestors , but it's up to our generation to move forward and progress as Americans...PERIOD! The NAACP needs a fresh vision for ALL Americans. Don't get me wrong, people of color are still suffering on an unacceptible scale but it's important the NAACP focus on bringing everyone together to bring attention to "inequal opportunity" across the board. They also need to put more heat on elected officials serving in poorer inner citiy and rural districts.

Let's eliminate poverty, & joblessness everywhere...not just in Detroit but also Appalachia. Every American deserves a good quality of life. if groups like the NAACP would look at things from that prospective, maybe they'd have a lot more support. I'm no TeaParty'er but it's time for NAACP to stop depending on outside groups to help us, only WE (African Americans) can uplift our communities.

January 14, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |