'Kiss my butt' Gov. attends MLK event
January 17th, 2011

'Kiss my butt' Gov. attends MLK event

(CNN) - After telling the NAACP to "kiss my butt" and refusing to attend their event in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Maine Republican Gov. Paul LePage attended a different MLK celebration.

LePage appeared at a breakfast in Waterville, Maine Monday sponsored by the Rotary Club and Spectrum Generations that he attended often as mayor of Waterville.

Last Friday LePage refused to attend the NAACP event because it was sponsored by a special interest, a decision for which he was criticized. The NAACP event included a meeting with black prisoners at the state prison, and the group refused the governor's proposal to meet with all prisoners.

"I'm not going to be held hostage by special interests," LePage said Friday. "My son happens to be black, so they can do whatever they'd like about it."

LePage has an adopted son from Jamaica.

Filed under: Maine
  1. greyhackles

"Buffoon says what?"

January 17, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. jupiter522

LePage was elected with 38 percent of the vote because the Democratic candidate ran an anemic campaign and an independent, who would have been the best governor, took most of the Democratic votes. LePage is an embarrassment to the people of Maine. The black son to which he refers is not legally adopted and may not even be a US citizen. Although I give LePage credit for providing lots of support to the son of his caddy from his vacation place, but it's no excuse to be so disrespectful and crude. Remember what he said he would say to Obama??

January 17, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  3. kds562

MLK was a great man as was Ghandi and others. They worked to correct wrongs done against many people. It does not matter what race or color, they worked toward humanitarian causes. Everyone should honor MLK.

January 17, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. Moderate

Haven't we had enough of this kind of rudeness yet? What is up with the Republican party? What's with all the hate and rudeness, name calling and vitreal? Why can't they just say what they want without all the nastiness and hate. Aren't we all tired of hate by now. Grow up and act like an adult for goodness sakes.

January 17, 2011 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. TomNPIT

With all the really smart Politicians and sharp communicators in the Republican Party, why is it we always have to hear from the frekin" idiots with stupid freakin' biased comments. He won't be held captive by the NAACP, but he will be the lap dog for the Chamber of Commerce and ter Rotary Club. What's with that – all the rich guys in town get togeher for lunch and drinks because they closed their businesses for the holiday?

January 17, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. doug

Those who contiune on the great society are the ones denying Dr. King's dream from materializing, no Republican should have anything to do with any of 'dem.

January 17, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. Jilli

Hmmm.... He declined the invitation to the NAACP MLK event by saying “I am not going to be held hostage by a special interest group,” and telling the civil rights group to “kiss my butt." Very mature.

But, the tea party hero managed to attend an event sponsored by different "special interest" group Saturday — a rally for the anti-choice Maine Right to Life Committee. Yeah, we get it Mr. LePage.

Another tea party fraud, and not a very mature one at that.

January 17, 2011 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  8. gt

good... no more bulling from the naacp....why dont they work on real problems ....like jobs, education, and becoming productive citizens.... but know they just want headlines ....

January 17, 2011 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  9. John Herzog

The "true colors" of the tea party are starting to emerge and they do not resemble, in any way, the character, compassion and intelligence of our founding fathers.........the words that come to mind are selfish "let me do whatever I want and do not make me pay taxes for anything"..................rascist "Kiss my butt you black .....", ..................I should be able to arm myself, lock and load and shoot as necessary, without any interference from anyone"...............honorable improvements such as infrastructure, defense, healthcare, the environment, conservation, education, retirement......they are all fine as long as I do not have to pay for any of it!

January 17, 2011 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  10. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Saying "my son happens to be black" is so illiterate and ignorant. I personally don't care what color a person may be as long as they are intelligent and respectful to me as well as others, I am living proof.

January 17, 2011 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  11. Yumkay

I agree no special interest. MLK fought for civil rights and discrimination but it should not be specific to any color or creed!! NAACP is wrong it whould have an open mind

January 17, 2011 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. Deb

Why is it the media only tells part of the story? The media failed to mention in their story that the Gov. could not attend the NAACP breakfast in Portland because he was attending a funeral for a state trooper. I agree with the Gov not wanting to pander to any special intrest group. Maybe more Pols should do the same.

January 17, 2011 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  13. Papa-me

Sometime it confuses me when people say that they adopted a black kid therefore they are not racist. Adopting a black or any other kid does not make one a none racist because the key issue is who the person they adopted lives and who they are in person. Does the adopted kid has the same care, love, and affiction with the other kids? Probably these egocentric individuals only want to further their own interest or public persona by going outside their race as a way to cover their bigotary and blind fold the public. A bigot is bigot no matter how many kids of various ethnic groups he/she adopts.. Bogotary is not learned in a day because it is actually how they see the world like a mentally sick person.

January 17, 2011 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |