'Kiss my butt' Gov. attends MLK event
January 17th, 2011

'Kiss my butt' Gov. attends MLK event

(CNN) - After telling the NAACP to "kiss my butt" and refusing to attend their event in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Maine Republican Gov. Paul LePage attended a different MLK celebration.

LePage appeared at a breakfast in Waterville, Maine Monday sponsored by the Rotary Club and Spectrum Generations that he attended often as mayor of Waterville.

Last Friday LePage refused to attend the NAACP event because it was sponsored by a special interest, a decision for which he was criticized. The NAACP event included a meeting with black prisoners at the state prison, and the group refused the governor's proposal to meet with all prisoners.

"I'm not going to be held hostage by special interests," LePage said Friday. "My son happens to be black, so they can do whatever they'd like about it."

LePage has an adopted son from Jamaica.

Filed under: Maine
  1. Freedom of Speech in the USA

================================================================================================
    Way to go Governor! Continue to resist the furtherance of racial divide in this country by attending black only meetings. You represent ALL the people in Maine. Congrats on your principled stand.

January 17, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  2. The Other Michael in Houston

Well I have to agree with the govener, why not meet with all of the prisoners, not just the African American prisoners. I am not sure how much of need we have for the NAACP these days anyway. BACK AWAY FROM THE R KEY FOLKS I am an African American and proud of it. I understand their need in the past, but at this point, not sure if there is a need today in thier current form, that's all

January 17, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  3. Tim

Just sounds like stubborn, bad communicators on both sides. Leave it at that.

January 17, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  4. Monster Zero

Apparently he did not want to participate with the racist organization NAACP, instead paying tribute to MLK through the Rotary Club, bravo Governor, bravo.

January 17, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  5. Rafael

The NAACP can also kiss my butt!

January 17, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. Jesse

I live in Maine and I am ashamed that this man represents this state.

January 17, 2011 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  7. oahu jack

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People can kiss my butt too!The are the most rabidly racist organization in the country.

January 17, 2011 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  8. Lost in Texas FOREVER

after seeing what this guy looked like what he requested seemed to be somewhat of an impossible task to begin with. But that's the type of civil talk we want from our leaders anyway, right?

January 17, 2011 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  9. Joe NY, NY

Governor, if you want to meet with all prisoners and hear their grievances, you know you don't need the NAACP to facilitate it. Your excuse is very commendable - let's see you walk your talk now.

January 17, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  10. greg

That aint gonna make it no better...What's done is done...Good luck jerk!

January 17, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  11. Chris

NAACP is a special interest group. It's interest is the condition of African Americans. MLK was a prominent African American. Not all special interests are bad. If the holiday for for a prominent latino historical figure, it would make sense to attend a Latino group's event. If it was inhonour of a prominent Irshman, attending an Irish group's event would make sense.

January 17, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  12. Furiouis in Maine

This man is a pathological liar, a tax cheat, and the purported son is an immigrant from the Dominican that was his golf caddie on a vacation. The Lepages never adopted the young man! This Governor is an utter disgrace to our state and today I am sad to say I live in Maine .

January 17, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. Brian

Not knowing all the facts but it sounds like he has good reason to make that comment.

January 17, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  14. Duck Fallas

This is unfair! The imagery conjured by this moose saying "Kiss my butt" is unsettling. Why can't Palin tell the NAACP to kiss her butt?

January 17, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  15. John

That's a little better. But it still doesn't excuse his language.

January 17, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  16. LGNY

So what is gained by being rude? A simple "No, thank you" would have been sufficient.

January 17, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  17. Tony in Maine

Sorry Pepe, we're not impressed. When a child gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar and tries to make up by pulling his hand out, no one is going to applaud but other kids.

I'd really hate to be your pr guy – you are a walking disaster.

January 17, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  18. Rick in OP

The NAACP can kiss my butt, too.
    I cannot think of a more incompetent and ineffective organization than the the NAACP. They are fixated on past history and have stagnated. At the same time, the world has moved forward. It seems like every year the NAACP and their adherents fall further and further behind the rest of society. Very sad.

January 17, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  19. GOP Taliban Victim

Another Republican Governor with unprofessional, rude, crass attitude that does not know how to work with people. What a surprise.

January 17, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  20. DonBeal

Governor LePage was very dismissive of the NAACP in calling them a "special interest group". If you look at it that way, anything is a "special interest group" including the the Tea Party, the Republican Party, the American Association of Taxidermists, the National Federation of Independent Business, and the National Association for the Advancement of Smart People.

January 17, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  21. ja

and we talk about civility in America, the kind of language has no place in the so called leadership's mouth, what do you expect from the layman, if you carry on like heathens

January 17, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. T

I am a Black woman, I did not attend any of the events, but I love MLK, and what he stands for. To attend a event is good,
    but if you believe in what MLK stands for , you don;t have to attend. It's just a reminder , but I never forgot. Sometimes some people goes over board. I understand the governor position about meeting with the black prisoners , because with MLK this is not a black thing or a white thing, he was for the people. Yes we was abuse , killed and etc.....all the bad things you can think of happen to us, but doing that time there were some whites the believe in freedom for all(was killed too) I know today that there are people out there that hate people of color and dont what to change. They have to take that up with GOD. Last thought..........It's almost like
    if you don't attend church you don't believe in GOD..........which is not true.

January 17, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  23. Margie

It is such a shame that such juvenile individuals won election to office. AND they are are republican. Even most 12-13 years olds have more self control and composure. Instead of maturing it seems the older a republican gets the more childish they act.

January 17, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  24. Lobby for LePage

"I'm not going to be held hostage by special interests...", unless, UNLESS, there is a dollar sign attached thereto...

January 17, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  25. GI Joe

No surprise – the most rude get all the attention in our politics.

It seems intelligence and a mannerly and respectful disposition seems to just draw the weird remarks from the haters.

January 17, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |