Palin: 'I am not going to shut up'
January 17th, 2011

Palin: 'I am not going to shut up'

(CNN) – In her first interview since the Arizona shootings, Sarah Palin Monday sharply beat back critics who have suggested her at-times charged political rhetoric and use of a graphic featuring crosshairs may have contributed to the shooter’s motivations.

"The graphic that was used was crosshairs. That's not original. Democrats have been using them for years," Palin said in the interview with Sean Hannity on Fox News, where Palin is a paid contributor.

"For many years maps in political races have been used to target certain districts that people would feel that they can get into those districts and find someone to whom they believe would represent the constituents' will better than the incumbent," she added.

The map in question – created by Palin's political action committee last spring - featured the crosshairs of a gun over the congressional districts of 20 Democratic candidates – including that of Gabrielle Giffords, the congresswoman who was shot in Tucson nine days ago. Last week, Palin aide Rebecca Monsour defended the graphic, saying the crosshairs were not those of a gun but rather "a surveyor symbol."

But Palin's PAC quickly scrubbed the graphic from its website after the shootings, a move Palin said she found appropriate.

"The contract graphic artist did take it down and I don't think that was inappropriate," said Palin. "If it was going to cause much heartburn and even more controversy I didn’t have a problem with it taken down."

In the 30 minute interview, Palin also addressed the criticism she has faced for her video response to the shootings posted last week on Facebook. Critics particularly took issue with the former governor's use of the term "blood libel," a phrase that for many conjures anti-semetic connotations.

"Blood libel obviously means being falsely accused of having blood on your hands. In this case, that's exactly what was going on," she said, adding later, "Just two days before an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal had that term in its title. And that term has been used for eons."

The phrase, which traditionally refers to a long-standing anti-Semitic myth that Jews murder children for religious rituals, drew fire from the Anti-Defamation League and others. But Palin insisted critics were taking issue with the phrasing in hopes of derailing her overall message.

"It isn't about me personally, but it is about the message," she said. "I know that a lot on the left hate my message, and they will do all that they can to stop me because they don't like the message. They’ll do what they can to destroy the message and the messenger."

Meanwhile, when asked about speculation the recent controversies have disrupted any future political ambitions, Palin vowed she will continue to speak her mind.

"I am not ready to make an announcement about what my political future is going to be. But I will tell you ... I am not going to sit down. I am not going to shut up,"she said.

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. Valerie from Raleigh

After the terrible shooting in Tuscon, I thought Sarah Palin would show some reasonable behavior and tone her statements down. However, she did the exact opposite. As a senior woman and Independent voter, I am anxious to see more women in politics as I feel we bring a different "flavor" to the table, but I would never support Palin or anyone like her. It appears her main object in life is to embaras and humiliate anyone who does not agree with her. Each time I hear her speak I feel she shames women everywhere.

January 17, 2011 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  2. Fleabaggers are Clueless

Hey Phalin, show the pictures of the crosshiers that you are talking about.....But there again propaganda is what you know best......But there again any picture would be a lie anyways because anyone can whip up a picture of anything using Photo Shop and the internet.......

You wouldn't know the first thing about running a country, I wish you would just go away!

I see you don't practice what you preach.....What did you say to Hillary Clinton back in 2008......Stop Your Whining and Get Over It!!!!!!........

January 17, 2011 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  3. BJ

I for one am very happy she is pushing so hard. Nothing could legitimize the accusations she is so exercised about more than her behaviour.

January 17, 2011 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  4. LGNY

No one's telling her to shut up.

The message is "talk sense" and "be civil".

As a public leader, your words have consequences. Talk like the leader you think you are.

January 17, 2011 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  5. sam i am

palin needs her own shown on mtv, she qualfiies for something in line with jersey shores, or maybe bad girls – i think she is a fabulous entertainer, she so funny, and if you have a half a brain you certainly can't take her serious – come mtv, where are you?

January 17, 2011 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  6. bob

Ok. Democrats have been using bullseyes for ages. But Sarah, a gun totin', wolf shootin' Tea Partier is a little different. Now, if Cheney had posted a map with bullseyes on it, I'd have rested a little easier, because he'd have been more likely to shoot a friend than a Democrat.

January 17, 2011 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  7. Pdxjason

She is the joke of the republican party. Seriously, McCain would have had better chances had he picked someone better than her.

January 17, 2011 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  8. lawbear

Talk all you want, Palin, no one is listening.

January 17, 2011 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  9. engineerscott

Well ,we see the real Palin ,saying words with no meaning again .The GOP is pulling away from your party,which has no meaning also.Palin Beck Limbaugh are all "Media Terrorist"will be ignored .
    The United States of America was founded on honor, respecting other views,none of you do that.There seems to be a strange paranoid delusion you 3 share ,you think the USA cares what you think,guess what we dont.
    President Obama step up to the plate took the bull by the horns and made it yield to logic and being self aware of the Toxic environment you 3 made.I would vote for Mrs.Gifford anytime ,she seen what a danger you are Palin and she was right,only she for got 1 word ,COWARD which you are.

January 17, 2011 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  10. Gabe

That's the problem Sarah – you won't shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 17, 2011 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  11. kcl

I'm not sure Palin is smart enough to choose better words and phrases than the usual garbage she spews. She is simple, she can't even defend her words without being simple. All the burners aren't cookin' folks.

January 17, 2011 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  12. Rick

After all this, after all that has happened, it's all about narcissistic Sarah Palin. Just an amazing jerk.

January 17, 2011 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  13. Dianne, IL

Hey, Palin, I am not on the left. I am in the middle and I don't like your message! I also don't like you. You are self centered, attention seeking ignoramus. Only you would put yourself out there on Facebook on the same day as the memorial for the Tuscon victims and claim to be the victim. You are a pitiful person.

January 17, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  14. k

Palin will do and say anything, to stay in front of the cameras. It would be nice if the media would stop accommodating her.

January 17, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  15. Rene

Her approval ratings just keep going down. A new ABC poll show 78 percent approve of Obama's Arizona response and Palin got 30 percent approval. She has NO chance of becoming a nominee for president with her small (and getting smaller every day) and angry tea party base.

January 17, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  16. Alex Santana

I truly hope this moron never shuts up...it only cements her legacy as a truly stupid person...and to only talk on Hannity, who is the most arrogant talk show host out there....and just tonight on AC360, was this dispicable Dana Loesch...does she watch her shows? Her smirk and "miss know it all" attitiude is one reason the GOP women are the most unfeminine women on the planet....ever see or hear Laura Graham? I think she is a man in drag...with that voice..another one who doesn't listen or watch herself...GOP women just come across as egomaniacs...self-absorbed bimbos. Anne Coulter? Do you think she is feminine with that "attitde"? She thinks she can wave her skinny legs and dyed hair and that makes her cool...she is as distasteful as eating nails...I think GOP women should sit down in a room and watch themselves and then they will see what we, those out here in normal land...have to watch or listen to...thank God for remote controllers!! But I do hope Palin the dope, never shuts up...it just would be too boring...we need her idiocy!!

January 17, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  17. A female in Wyoming

Please, please! Don't shut up Queen of Mean because every time you open your mouth, your ratings go down even more. You are so over and I've never seen a repeating train wreck, but I imagine watching you is what it would look like. Keep going please. You are doing the republican party a disservice and they have a way of eating there own. Popcorn's almost done!

January 17, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  18. Josie

Stop embarassing the Republican party, you nut, and shut your mouth, Sarah Palin. You're insane. Stay in Alaska and shut up.

January 17, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  19. Stevejtrice

Palin, please sit down and shut up.

January 17, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  20. Wayne

Sarah, I don't want you to shut up. I just want you to say a few things that make sense. I just want you to THINK before you talk!

January 17, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  21. Dutch/Bad Newz, Va

Well you need to shut up because every time you open your mouth you make a bigger fool of yourself. You are not a leader. How about you give an interview to someone who isn't favorable to you.

January 17, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  22. k

January 17, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  23. Roger

Go ahead and talk. The more you talk the more we realize how little you understand about the world and our country. Your chances for any future political position have been badly damaged by your lack of knowledge and sensitivity to the cultures that go to make it up. You are not a political leader you gave that up. So who really is interested in what you have to say.

January 17, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  24. JD

What a disingenuous twit! This idiot makes stuff up as she rolls along! Show me one political map where Democrats have used crosshairs? Then, in trying to dismiss the issue of her inflmatory symbolism even further, she goes so far as to say they are "surveyor marks!?!?!?!" And this lying, unconscionable, self-serving, paramour to big business which is selling American jobs overseas has the unmitigaged gall to laud her own ostensible patriotism for this country? I say we superimpose a snipers crosshairs over her image and tell folks, "Fire at will!" Maybe then she will get a clue . . . though I doubt it . . . you can't fix stupid . . .

January 17, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  25. r darby

I think Ms. Palin needs to suck it up. She has a tendency to shout out a bit like shotgun blast hoping to hit something but not anything else. Unfortantely I feel that she is a shrill something like a carnival shouter trying to get attention to her tent. Ms. Palin is fine person but she needs to get down to the nitty gritty.

January 17, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |