Alabama governor touches off controversy with Christian comments
January 18th, 2011

Alabama governor touches off controversy with Christian comments

Update: The governor later apologized.

(CNN) – Alabama Republican Gov. Robert Bentley is kicking off his first term in office with a bit of controversy, telling a church audience Monday that he only considers Christians to be his "brothers and sisters."

"Now I will have to say that, if we don't have the same daddy, we're not brothers and sisters," he told parishioners at a Baptist church in Montgomery Monday shortly after being sworn in. "So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother."

"There may be some people here today who do not have living within them the Holy Spirit," Bentley also said, according to the Birmingham News. "But if you have been adopted in God's family like I have, and like you have if you're a Christian and if you're saved, and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then you know what that makes? It makes you and me brothers. And it makes you and me brother and sister."

Rebekah Caldwell Mason, Bentley's communications director, was not immediately available for comment but told the Birmingham News that Bentley "is the governor of all the people, Christians, non-Christians alike."

Bentley also celebrated the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. in his speech and said he will govern in accordance with King's teachings.

'I was elected as a Republican candidate. But once I became governor ... I became the governor of all the people. I intend to live up to that. I am color blind," Bentley also said.

Filed under: Religion • Robert Bentley
  1. The Real Tom Paine

It figures...he puts in a throwaway comment regarding race, yet he slams anyone who has not accepted Jeasus into their lives to his satisfactions. I'm assuming that behind closed doors he is slamming Catholics as well.

BTW, Governor Bentley: you are not my brother. No member of my family puts conditions on being a member the way you have.

Next topic, Creationism, and is the Earth really round?

January 18, 2011 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  2. chris

i gladly except this man as no brother of mine!!!!!!! but the bible will argue that any day of the week . let nazi's be gone

January 18, 2011 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  3. Dave

C'mon CNN, this isn't news. Incest has always been a southern, backwoods thing.

January 18, 2011 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  4. Jacquie1

This is a case where I get to pick my family also and I'd frankly not want to be part of his hate bating klan in any event. He's too heavy to be my brother.

January 18, 2011 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  5. SayWhat!?

Wait, I thought Christians were a persecuted lot. Seems to me they just put their feet in their own mouth and cry foul when their words and snobbery goes back to them.

Try this: Don't be so righteous and look down your nose at others, behave as Jesus Christ probably would have (name: Jesus, title: [the] Christ) by displaying some humility and not casting stones.

January 18, 2011 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. Luke Brown

Congratulations to the idiot voters of Alabama. You are reaping what you have sown!

January 18, 2011 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. mat

Hes quoting Jesus. Jesus was approached at a grouping and told his brothers and sisters were there to see them. He then asked who are my brothers and sisters? I didnt know the left expects all gov officals to give up their faith unless they are athesist or muslim:) This is what starts the hate. It comes straight from the left. CNN just cant help themselves. This is not news.

January 18, 2011 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |