Sargent Shriver is dead at age 95
January 18th, 2011

Sargent Shriver is dead at age 95

(CNN) - R. Sargent Shriver, who was responsible for launching the U.S. Peace Corps after marrying into the Kennedy family and joining John F. Kennedy's White House, has died, a family source told CNN.

Shriver, whose full name was Robert Sargent Shriver, was 95. He had suffered for years from Alzheimer's disease. After overseeing the Peace Corps launch in the early 1960s, Shriver went on to serve subsequent presidential administrations and kept up his activism throughout his life, becoming a chief architect of President Lyndon B. Johnson's war on poverty and later heading the Special Olympics, which was
founded by his wife, Eunice Kennedy Shriver.

See Full Story

Filed under: Sargent Shriver
  1. Luke Brown

I had an opportunity to work with Mr. Shriver on a couple of occasions. He was a delightful person, engaging, intelligent, and positive. I wish there were more politicians like him around today. His kids have all done well. BTW he was crazy about his son-in-law, the former governor of California.

January 18, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  2. T'sah from Virginia

R.I.P.

January 18, 2011 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  3. Frank in Valparaiso Indiana

Rest in Peace. He did a lot of good for this country. If you have never been overseas, especially in some of the poorer areas of the world, you will never know what Kennedy and the Peace Corps meant to a lot of people.

January 18, 2011 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  4. Debbie from Arizona

My condolences to the family. From all I've read about Mr.Shriver, he was a wonderful, inspirational man, we need more like him in this world.

January 18, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  5. Linda Driscoll

My heart and soul got out to the Shriver family at the loss of their amazing dad. Sargent Shriver was a true hero and with his wonderful wife Eunice they changed the world for so many Special Olympic Athletes and through his fabulous work at the Peace Corps. Though he may no longer be with us, his accomplishments have left a lasting impact on this world that will live on. Rest in Peace Sarge. I will always remember your smile. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and Special Olympic friends.
    Linda Driscoll, Founder & CEO – Dream Big!

January 18, 2011 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |