Beck's message: Fix your 'self'
January 19th, 2011

Beck's message: Fix your 'self'

(CNN) - Fox News anchor Glenn Beck knows how you can fix yourself, and he's written a book about it. In his new self-help book, "The Seven: Seven Wonders That Will Change Your Life," he extols the virtues of looking inward to fix the country. In Beck's words "We fix our country by fixing our self. It's not going to be fixed in Washington."

Appearing on NBC's "Today" Wednesday to promote "The Seven," Beck adamantly denied that he has ever contributed to a politically charged climate with statements made in jest, including when he said he wanted to poison Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi or beat Congressman Charlie Rangel with a shovel.

When asked whether he had any regrets, Beck responded, "Anything that I say in jokes, no, ask Jon Stewart, ask The Simpsons, okay…Comedy is comedy."

Though Beck does admit to making mistakes, he did not go into detail, saying instead that, "We have a really interesting view of history."

He frames the current climate as a throwback to famous feuds in American history: "Political discourse is sometimes really in your face…Just like Thomas Jefferson and John Adams went back and forth, John Adams was called a hermaphrodite by Thomas Jefferson. Adams responded and said Jefferson, your children will be raped and your towns will be burned if he becomes the president.

"Let's keep political discourse in context of history. Children weren't raped, nobody killed each other. We have to fix the individual. The problem in Tucson was the individual. Let's look at the individual and be responsible for ourselves," Beck continued.

"And the real answers are the principles that you'll find in this book…Just change yourself, don't worry about anybody else. Change you."

"The Seven: Seven Wonders That Will Change Your Life" is co-written by Glenn Beck and psychiatrist Keith Ablow. Published by Threshold Editions-Mercury Radio Arts, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, it was released on January 4.

Filed under: Glenn Beck
  1. Protect and Defend Freedom of Speech in the USA

OH MY GOD!!! Glenn Beck headlining the Ticker??!! If this doesn't get the looney left frothing at the mouth, even more than a Sarah Palin post, nothing will!! This ought to be real good. Let it rip loons!!

January 19, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. mm

ummmm..... definitely that book will not be on my "to read" list!

January 19, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------–
    Very interesting and introspective Glen.

This is EXACTLY what the President said when he was running, and during his speech on the night he became President.
    CHANGE starts with us. WE are the CHANGE that America is looking for, each one of us. One person cannot do it alone; Washington cannot do it for us.

Mi chael Jackson had the same sentiment with his song "The Man In The Mirror".

It's kinda weird to concur with you on anything Glen. I'll be the first to admit, but on this point we do agree. It's just that your "original" thought was not really original at all. And for that matter neither was the President's truth be told.

January 19, 2011 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  4. Annie, Atlanta

Totally off topic here. I just read a post on the internet from someone in marketing. The more we click on links regarding Palin who was referred to as a "cash cow" for news sites, the more stories they will run about her, because these sites keep track of the clicks. The same with people like Beck. So if we don't click on the stories, eventually they will go away. I thought this worth sharing for those who are getting sick of these people in the news day in and out.

January 19, 2011 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  5. mosgot

Okay Beck! You bipolar paranoid freak. Everything you say is on tape, why even try to deny that you're the main contributor to this "politically charged climate". You need to fix yourself before you try to fix others.

January 19, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  6. Doc Ock

You can almost hear the the theme music from "Looney Tunes" when Beck talks.

January 19, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

CNN: I just truly, truly wished that you'd hyped up President's Obama's children's book whose proceeds went ENTIRELY to tne families of our soldiers as much as you've given free publicity to anything Palin, and now Beck.

It's shameful how you won't support our troops,nor our President.

Post if you want.....or not.

January 19, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. Julie C

Beck clearly hasn't "fixed" himself. He says, "Statements made in jest".....I don't think so. This man repulses me.

January 19, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  9. ingrid

I disagree. Beck is part of the problem with his nasty rhetoric and lies.

January 19, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  10. dem forever in nc

"I'd like to poison Pelosi" just kidding!!!! Who is he kidding. That is a threat plain and simple and is NO JOKE. This WACKO thinks he's so funny and so clever and is a MAJOR hypocrite who's laughing all the way to the bank. He is the darling of the far right crazies. Shut up Glenn!!!!

January 19, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  11. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Beck is right when he says "just change yourself, don't worry about anybody else, change you" and I did because I don't listen to Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh, Palin who have all contributed to the discourse of this country.

January 19, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. Tony in Maine

When Adams and Jefferson had their exchange it wasn't read worldwide in a matter of seconds, crazed citizenry didn't spend their evenings watching slanted news that fed their feeling of victimhood.

Beck is venal. He will do and say anything to make a buck.

January 19, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  13. Oy Vey Az

How to change from within ? As easy as what ... a conscience thought ? Maybe we could start the seven steps now and get some well deserved cochlear relief ! Step 1 … Change radio stations !!

January 19, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  14. The Real Tom Paine

So, when does Beck plan to start looking inward into the abyss? What will he change? Can we start with letter "A"....hmm, I guess he can start with his arrogance.

On second thought, you can't improve anything when there is nothing to fix. He has nothing inside him. He just stood there and sanctioned killing and choking people, like he has always done.

Sick.

January 19, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  15. CBR

A book by Glenn Beck and a psychiatrist – now that is interesting. Of course we are responsible for ourselves but we also have an obligation as citizens to make sure we create a safe environment for ourselves and others. His take on shootings in Tucson made me cringe. First of all, the era during which Adams and Jefferson made their statements cannot be compared to the environment today. The people in certain areas of the country certainly heard about the remarks, but the remarks did not travel across the country quickly. Today, every remark and every joke is in radio, tv or the internet.

Beck's comments about Nancy Pelosi and Charlie Rangel were not funny. I do not think he can compare himself to those who do comedy shows every day. Unless he considers that his Fox show is a comedy hour.

January 19, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  16. vic nashville tn

First he needs help and he can’t help himself so he can’t preach ‘fix your self’

January 19, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  17. james Miller

Yeah !!!! -–trash talk then if someone takes it literally, go defensive saying " I really didn`t mean to actually, really poison Pelosi !!!! " That`s the way to have your cake and eat it too.

January 19, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  18. ViSmith

Then it should be ok for me to say that someone should beat Glen Beck with a shovel. just kidding right?

January 19, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  19. Richard in Houston

Beck. Seriously? Jokes? Are we then to conclude from your response that what you say is a joke and should not be taken seriously or literally? You are a piece of work. You are caught red handed and you can back track fast enough.

January 19, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  20. The reality is...

Whether a person says something in jest or thinks it only matters if they are going to act upon it and probably the people we need to worry about acting upon it least are these high profile guys. Now Rahm Emanuel .... that's another story. (Just kidding)

January 19, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  21. Jack in Florida

What does Beck know about compassion?? Maybe he has multiple personalities and we are now seeing the nice guy.

January 19, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  22. Kenneth

Wow ... Glen Beck's response to his contribution to the negative rhetoric is that he is a comedian that should not be taken seriously? All while promoting his next book. Well at least he was partially right ... He is a JOKE but far from a comedian.

January 19, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  23. Sniffit

Step 1: Get out there and inform yourself so you can understand what fountains of misinfromed, conspiratorial, ideological demogoguery the Becktard and his ilk are.

"Let's look at the individual and be responsible for ourselves"

Translation: "Let's pretend this is all about whether there is an actual, verifiable causal relationship between Loughner's mental state and actions and the complete crap coming out of my filthy pie hole and the virulent political climate I've helped create....you know, instead of admitting that, irrespective of whether such a causal relationship exists, I still need to take responsibility for having said some very ugly, inaccurate and incendiary things over the past two years in my quest to misinform, anger and scare anyone willing to listen uncritically to my drivel. No no, there is no such thing as personal responsibility and accounatbility for anything that comes out of my mouth because I have free speech in this country and that means I can be as much of a d-bag as I want in front of millions of under-educated, impressionable viewers who already have a head start of being under- or misinformed, angry and/or scared. Besides, I'm telling them what they want to hear...doesn't that make it their fault?"

January 19, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  24. Sniffit

"Let's keep political discourse in context of history."

Indeed. We are NEVER supposed to evolve or change as a society or culture. EVER. That is the FIRST rule of conservativism.

January 19, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  25. Realistic

Glenn Beck is a fool and his show is childish. Yes i have watched it once for 5 min and almost vomited in my mouth and being a pizza place was not a good thing to do. Imagine a customer walks in as I take a bite of the slice and vomit..Now would I be responsible for destroying the business and or would the owner be right to beat me over the head with pizza pan? So beck telling anyone how to...is obsurd b/c his show, as I stated almost made me vomit in a pizza place...But like everything else, people will buy his trash and he will make money and if I vist your place of business and you have his show on, I'm no longer responsible for any projectile of vomit that may be unleashed by me once I see his show on in your business.

January 19, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |