Olbermann and MSNBC part ways
January 21st, 2011

Olbermann and MSNBC part ways

(CNN) - Keith Olbermann is leaving MSNBC, the "Countdown" host announced on his program Friday night.

The liberal commentator said he was told "this was going to be the last edition of the show."

"In the mundane world of television goodbyes, reality is laughably uncooperative," Olbermann said.

Friday's announcement marks the end of an eight year career at the network.

The news comes after the prime-time host was suspended in November for violating the NBC ethics policies when he donated to three Democrats seeking federal office.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Keith Olbermann
  1. Bill

Am glad this hate-filled left wing fundamentalist progressive was fired. Good riddance.

January 22, 2011 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  2. Name Larry

Looks like I'll be watching less of msnbc, I hope keith finds a new home.

January 22, 2011 04:17 am at 4:17 am |
  3. Albo58

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...good riddance!

January 22, 2011 05:21 am at 5:21 am |
  4. Name AD

Its been interesting Keith...

January 22, 2011 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  5. keepstuffingthis

MSNBC gets rid of one of its hatemongers, could Matthews and Behar be next?

January 22, 2011 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  6. Tony

Say it isn't so!

I didn't/don't always agree with Keith, he is too far left for me. But unlike Hannity, who is too far right, I listen and watch because Keith is honest and Hannity isn't.

Keith was one of the few voices in the wilderness trying to keep the criminals in the Bush Administration honest. And for that, and many other things I will always respect him.

I hope MSNBC or some other network reconsiders and brings him back soon.

January 22, 2011 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  7. Chris

I have many conservative friends who spend all day at work listening to the radio shows of Rush Limpaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck and other right wing pundits. Then they go home at watch Fox News all evening. On weekends, they read books by Ann Coulter and Sarah Palin and watch Fox News some more. Nearly their entire waking lives are literally saturated with right wing rhetoric.

Now compate that to my liberal friends who – if they are at home, bored, and there is nothing else on tv – they might watch the Keith Oblerman show on MSNBC. And I have a number of liberal friends who have never seen it once.

I keep hearing conservatives calling liberals "sheep" but it seems to me that all the need for shepherds is on the right.

January 22, 2011 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  8. Get A Grip

"end of an eight year career at the network."..................

And it was eight very very long years. Shouldn't have even been eight months at the network for...... "Make Up A Lie Olbermann"

January 22, 2011 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  9. Marie MD

Darn! While he was a big out there at times we just lost someone who gave us stories that the "real" press doesn't.

January 22, 2011 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  10. Wire Palladin, S. F.

He will be missed. He was far more knowledgeable, caring and reasonable than Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh, Malkin, Coulter, Savage and the rest of the hate and fear bigots that pollute our airways.

January 22, 2011 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  11. Bassman

Attacking Gov. Palin has its risks. Newsweek, Conde Naste, and now Olbermann have all paid a price for attacking Palin.

January 22, 2011 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  12. Flo DeMarco

I had a restless night of sleep last night – I am so saddened and disturbed that Keith's voice is silenced at MSNBC. Who is going to speak for us? Who is going to express what we feel deep inside about the events of the day, weeks or months better than Keith Olbermann. He was our voice, he was our rage and then he would bring it all back into perspective with his love of country. The fact that MSNBC was our voice and now what will we do with our 8 oclock time. I like Lawrence ODonnell but his 10pm slot was perfect for wrapping things up. Whoever thought this one out should be fired for bad lineup programming. I guess the honchos at MSNBC do not realize the impact that this will have on everyone. Keith, we stand with you. Your voice is too important for us to lose. Thank you so much for so many nights and we look forward to hearing you again!

January 22, 2011 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. Marilynn

There will be a terrible void losing Keith on MSNBC. He was always fair, introspective, critical to everyone if needed, professional, respectful and a much needed voice in this world. I am tired of people like him being taken off the airwaves while the kings of hate like Beck, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, etc stay on. Tells you alot of how the world is....how hateful and bigoted people are being stirred up by those who proport hate.

January 22, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  14. Protect and Defend Freedom of Speech in the USA

This is great news. This fool is one of the most vile people on the air. To find out he was contributing to people he was giving free air time to pretty much told everybody he was nothing but a Democratic schill. He should have been axed years ago,

January 22, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |