Huckabee: No presidential decision until summer
January 21st, 2011

Huckabee: No presidential decision until summer

Washington (CNN) - Last time around, Mike Huckabee announced he was running for president on January 29, 2007. This time, the former Arkansas governor is content to wait a while.

The former presidential candidate – who finished second to Arizona Sen. John McCain in total number of delegates after the 2008 race – said Friday he won't make any decision about a second presidential bid until this summer.

Why the delay? Huckabee says he doesn't want to become a "stale loaf of bread on the shelf."

"I think people get sick of us if we're out there for too long a period of time, and by the time it starts to matter – when you're getting closer to the caucuses and the primaries – you've been so, just, essentially, exposed in a campaign mode that there's nothing new," he told Fox News where he is a paid contributor - a post he'd have to give up if he ran.

Of course, Huckabee has little to gain by jumping in the race early. Virtually every national poll has him near or on top and he's likely content to watch other lesser-known candidates fight it out for a while.

"For me, having done this four years ago, I realize that very few people can sustain the burn rate of a campaign if it's going to have to last 18 months," he also said. "You can't raise and go through that much money and the infrastructure necessary to carry the campaign."

As for his ultimate decision, Huckabee won't say what direction he's leaning. But those reading the tea leaves noted earlier this week he is about to embark on a book tour that will include several stops in Iowa and South Carolina, two early voting states where he is particularly popular.

One thing Huckabee's decision won't depend on however is what Sarah Palin does.

Filed under: 2012 • Mike Huckabee
  1. Jay

Must be nice having a show on "Fair and Balance". No there's no conflict of interest there.

I have a prediction Mr. Huckabee, you'll be able to return to your show after the election. Or even after the early rounds of the primaries.

Why is it that everybody who thinks of running is automatically labelled with some prestige as "Presidential Candidate". Until it changes to Mr. President you're no more qualified than any other natural born citizen.

January 21, 2011 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. Phil in KC

Please. He's running.

January 21, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. PalmReader

"She would be a very key player in the Republican primary, I don't think anyone disputes that," he said. "But it wouldn't make the decision for me whether it's a go or a no go," he said."

He isn't called the Huckster for nothing. But of coarse it makes all the difference in the world whether Palin chooses to run or not. If she does run, Palin and Huckabee will be competing against each other for the bible thumper votes - a very large and necessary group of voters which they both will need to be on their side for either one of them to secure their own nomination. Splitting those votes won't further either a Palin or Huckabee ticket. What a drag Palin has become to the Republican party, yes?

January 21, 2011 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  4. james Miller

I want to be the Prez, too. Can I ? Can I ? Pleasssse. Can I? I know of no single " public servant" who left the Beltway without a healthy bank roll plus huge, guaranteed retirement benefits. ---That`s the ultimate "servant".

January 21, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  5. GI Joe

He won't give up the $$$$ that he worships more than Jesus or God. Like the $$$$$ paid for the republican propaganda - he ain't doin' that for free.

January 21, 2011 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  6. lynn

I wish he would run for President, so my fellow Arkansans would remind voters just what he did in our State. What he did was an outrage, but the details will be left to later during his campaign. Then the truth will come out.

January 21, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  7. GI Joe

Notice the republicans never come out to stand up for the Huckster like they do the other republicans?

January 21, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  8. thomas

I don't think this guy can cut the mustard !

January 21, 2011 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  9. Njfinest2009

He seems boring and doesn't have any thing to say worth listening to. I don't think he will have any support from his own Party, Maybe he should consider the 12th of never to run for POTUS

January 21, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  10. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Preacher turned politician, haven't we all seen enough of how these people use the pulpit to advance their personal career and wealth. This man is about as slick as they come and has surrounded himself with the bully pulpit.

January 21, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. GI Joe

Come on you tea-baggers – send your money – he has a multi-million dollar mansion in Florida to pay for. Send him some money. He worships $$$$$$$$ just like $i$ter $arah

January 21, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  12. Rick McDaniel

Well, my decision, on that is already made. Not my choice. Period.

January 21, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. jules sand-perkins

If Huckabee is nominated, this Republican is absolutely voting for Obama in 2012.
    Or, perhaps–writing in Charles Darwin.

January 21, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  14. james Miller

I`m holding my breath-- in anticipation. If he decides to run, I`ll be holding my nose.

January 21, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. Harry Wortz

Wayne Dumond will be his Willie Horton if he decides to run.

January 21, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  16. rusty155

The people got right now for the Republican party too run against President Obama don't stand a chance. Saran Palin should even be in the running at all. She Is Unqualified for any Public Office of any kind. And want make this bad I'M a Republican, don't make me vote against the Republican party again.

January 21, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  17. chris

Sorry, but a former/current preacher for Prez, just don't sit well with me.

January 21, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  18. Huzzah

Ahh Yes, needs to finish building and staffing that new Mansion. Unless ICE shows up that is....

January 21, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  19. Whatever

How many times will he run for President?! Just wondering if he will try again in 2016 too?

January 21, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |