Oprah lands big guest
January 21st, 2011

Oprah lands big guest

(CNN) - First lady Michelle Obama is scheduled to tape an interview appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" Friday as part of her signature effort to support military families.

According to the first lady's office, Mrs. Obama will "discuss her plans to launch a comprehensive national campaign…to recognize, honor and provide ways for everyone to step up and answer the call."

The episode will air on Thursday January 27. Oprah last saw the first lady in December 2009 when she taped her annual holiday special at the White House and interviewed both the president and first lady. Oprah was an early supporter of the Obama campaign in 2008, throwing her weight behind a presidential candidate for the first time in her career. The first lady has also appeared on the cover of Oprah's magazine in March of 2009.

The military families show on Winfrey will also include appearances by military families, as well as Bob Woodward and Tom Brokaw. Brokaw has written extensively about "The Greatest Generation."

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Oprah Winfrey
  1. S. In California

Okay, let the Friday HATE begin....

January 21, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  2. Inmyopinion

Oh please, those two have been friends in Chicago for years, aren't they cousins????? Let's not make this sound like a big deal, this is so fake.

January 21, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  3. Claudia, Houston, Tx

As the ex-wife of a former Vietnam Veteran we never received any support and sometimes were negatively looked upon. Our husbands returned from war and we had to support them but no one was ever there to support us, how did FLOTUS know when she was only a kid herself. This is a great thing FLOTUS is doing and I look forward to doing my part.

January 21, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Kudos to Michelle Obama for putting her time, effort, and her considerable pull as First Lady where the Republicans in Congress have thus far only put their collective MOUTHS and payed only LIP SERVICE to our military and their families.

We are very proud to have you as our First Lady Michelle. You are a strong woman of deep convictions, intelligent,a no-nonsense mom, and a supportive, loving and caring wife. May God continue to bless you and your family.

January 21, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  5. Nadeem

Such a classy first lady

January 21, 2011 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  6. The unsub

Excellent! She is a class act!

January 21, 2011 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. Debby

This is a good thing by Michelle Obama and its her JOB. Hillary, and Laura Bush did the same thing and it wasn't paraded around on the Oprah show like Michelle Obama is the first to do this.

January 21, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  8. AZ Dem

Michelle Obama makes me smile every time I hear about how great of a woman she TRULY is. She is a woman and role model that ALL young girls can look up to and she and our president are such a great team I LOVE IT ALL.

OBAMA 2012

January 21, 2011 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. kat

I think they're both racists, Early in Oprah's career, I felt she was a wonderful person, however over the last few years, I feel that she became more and more racist and less fair. There's no hope for Michelle, I don't think she's ever been anything but racist.

January 21, 2011 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  10. Sniffit

More GOP bias from CNN..."big" guest? Why not "important" or "exciting"?

More GOPPER mentality: claiming that the First Lady is big. Pathetic!

January 21, 2011 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. MF

I love Michele Obama she is so sincere and her husband is the best. I love them both. The republicans only know to tear down the democrats to grab power. I dont like the GOPs all of them.

January 21, 2011 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. Jacob

can't wait to watch! the perfect blend of grace, elegance & intellect & family values!

January 21, 2011 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  13. Clyde

So Mrs. Obama's credibility goes right out the window. Too bad, I really like her.

January 21, 2011 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Claudia, Houston, Tx:
    I take my hat off to you. Our vets come back changed men and women from their war experiences. There is an array of re-adjusting to civilian life, but our Vietnam Vets were indeed treated piss poorly and with disdain. At that time, as I'm sure you're all too aware, to furhter compound the problem, there were none of the agencies to help support the returning vets that we currently have available. Yet although we've made strides in this area of providing the necessary support and assistance to vets and their unique set of needs, and their families, the current agencies in my opinion are still woefully ill-prepared in addressing these needs, AND underfunded.
    I have two cousins in the United States Navy. We are a close and very patriotic family. We take pride in our country but we're NOT blind to it's weaknesses.

January 21, 2011 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Correction: Should've read: "..there were few of the agencies..."

January 21, 2011 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  16. pw

I like mrs obama, I know she will do well in the interview. I have a sister. Her age. I always tell my sister; she is two months older than you.

January 21, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  17. megan

Wow flotus and Oprah on stage again. two beauty women that love everyone even you that hate them. Let"s pray for the haters.

January 21, 2011 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  18. Lillie

FLOTUS, you're the best!!

OBAMA/? 2012